Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2022 8:35:03 PM EDT
I need some input to see if I'm missing anything regarding getting high speed wired internet to my basement for my son...

The Boy just graduated college and is going to be living back at home and working at my place.  He has a nice setup in the basement and is wanting faster speeds for his gaming/VR/whatever.  He's currently using the home wifi, getting speeds around 70-80 Mbps.  

We get 1 gig from Comcast.  I always made a point to harass him about his speed - my machine is connected via ethernet cable to the cable modem, and this is what I get..

The cable outlets in this house are a mess, and it was a big PITA just to get the one outlet for the modem properly connected and tuned.  So that's not my first, second, or even third choice.

Router/modem is on the main floor.  My leading option right now is to buy a 100-foot ethernet cable, drill a hole from the living room down into the basement, and run the cord from the router, through the hole, to his machine.

Am I missing anything that might be a better solution?   Is there any newish tech out there I'm not aware of?

ETA: Would a wifi6 adapter for his machine improve things without having to run cable?  I get 500 Mbps on wifi6 on my phone.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#1]
If your cable modem is a gig modem - how many Ethernet ports does it have going.out or the router?
Are the ports on your router gig ports? Then drop the CAT 6 cable down and install a Wall port where he plugs in. Or install a wall port in your office and wire to a wall port in his area. Keeps it clean.

If only 1 - connect out to a simple gig hub and then 1 to your computer and 1 down to a wall port and wire down to the basement.

Just use CAT6 cable.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Wired is always best. And sounding from what you describe is the simplest cheapest option for you.  Pop a small hole, drop the cable down and done.  

Are you on a Modem/Router combo from your ISP? (1 equipment)  
Are you running Modem to Router with the router pushing Wifi?   (2 separate equipment)
How old is the equipment?

If his setup and your home equipment on Wifi 6, he should have no real issue gaming.  Unless he is Gaming, streaming, running a bunch of stuff, blah blah all at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Using the Comcast gig router/modem - one unit.   Got it when I upgraded to the gig service, two years old.  Does have wifi6, multiple ethernet plugs on it

I did take my phone down near his machine.  Even with wifi6 it was only 12 Mbps.

Thinking about upgrading/switching to my own, kinda prefer Netgear stuff.  My previous unit was a Netgear Nighthawk, and that thing kicked butt.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Using the Comcast gig router/modem - one unit.   Got it when I upgraded to the gig service, two years old.  Does have wifi6, multiple ethernet plugs on it

I did take my phone down near his machine.  Even with wifi6 it was only 12 Mbps.

Thinking about upgrading/switching to my own, kinda prefer Netgear stuff.  My previous unit was a Netgear Nighthawk, and that thing kicked butt.

View Quote

I recommend Asus or ubiquiti Mesh wifi systems!     If you are not in a spot to upgrade all your equipment, grab a cat6 and run him a line.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 12:37:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Something isn't quite right.  Wifi6 speeds start at 600 Mbps or ~75 megabytes per second.  Is the signal strength very low when in the basement?

As others have said, wired is still king.  But if your signal strength is high, it's worth a browse through your router's wireless settings.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Using the 5GHz band on WiFi6 is a dramatic increase in thoughput.
Unfortunately 5GHz is attenuated quickly by walls, etc.
The AP is in the basement and 60 feet away outside on the deck I get 1 bar at 5Ghz.

However, the WiFi6 AP extended the reach of 2.4Ghz by about 100 feet vs the old AP.
I have a WiFi security camera on a telephone pole over 200 feet from the AP and it works great at 2.4Ghz.

on 5Ghz about 20 feet from the AP and thru a floor and a wall
SpeedTest

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:58:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I need some input to see if I'm missing anything regarding getting high speed wired internet to my basement for my son...

The Boy just graduated college and is going to be living back at home and working at my place.  He has a nice setup in the basement and is wanting faster speeds for his gaming/VR/whatever.  He's currently using the home wifi, getting speeds around 70-80 Mbps.  

We get 1 gig from Comcast.  I always made a point to harass him about his speed - my machine is connected via ethernet cable to the cable modem, and this is what I get..

https://www.speedtest.net/result/13114784118.png

The cable outlets in this house are a mess, and it was a big PITA just to get the one outlet for the modem properly connected and tuned.  So that's not my first, second, or even third choice.

Router/modem is on the main floor.  My leading option right now is to buy a 100-foot ethernet cable, drill a hole from the living room down into the basement, and run the cord from the router, through the hole, to his machine.

Am I missing anything that might be a better solution?   Is there any newish tech out there I'm not aware of?

ETA: Would a wifi6 adapter for his machine improve things without having to run cable?  I get 500 Mbps on wifi6 on my phone.
View Quote

Use the wire. If you want speed, you want physical connection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top