BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2024 1:18:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#1]
OST
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I just have a word document with those headings in...with instructions for each. Call this guy, listing of accounts, do this with the SBR, etc...
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#3]
A couple years ago I had a bad heart attack, was resuscitated but wasn't expected to make it.  I didn't have any of that stuff organized, and it was hell for my wife trying to stay on top of bills, etc... especially given the stress of the whole situation.

I did manage to pull through and one of the first things I did when I got back on my feet was to buy a red USB thumb drive, and start dumping critical info to it.  A spreadsheet with all critical URL's and login info, dates, what gets automatically withdrawn (wife stacked up a house payment that month), etc.  Export of browser profile with all saved links, scans of birth certificates, marriage license and other docs, stuff like that.

Paper copies are good too, of course, but having everything right there in links and spreadsheets and PDF's takes a lot of the work out of it.  Just had to tell Mrs. to "look for the red thumb drive" if I'm not as lucky next time.

A wiki would be great if I wasn't quite so lazy.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Big plans this weekend?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:04:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morgan321] [#5]
Obviously document finances, bank accounts, etc.  As for posessions..........
My dad had such a spreadsheet when he died.  It was so overly detailed as to be useless and very little of it was followed.

I recall coin books that held coins of a certain type and had a spot for every combination of year and mint that was made for that particular coin.  We're talking thousands of coins with every single one itemized to go to kid A, kid B, etc.  
Nobody wanted to look at silver dimes with a magnifying glass to divvy them up, we just split them up by whole books.  
Not sure about other people, but I would neither expect nor want my kids to be wasting time divvying up my beanie baby collection after I'm dead.  

All that to say: Don't try to reach back from the grave and make more work for your family.  
Whatever you do, make it as simple and easy to follow as possible.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Just do what I did, and ditch the family and friends. State takes it all (jokes on them, it's all worthless anyway) and done. Just like that occasional poop that doesn't leave anything on the TP.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:51:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkiandShoot] [#7]
This is what we use and our methodology.

I have two spreadsheets.
One with a list of account names then account numbers. pretty straight forward.
EVERY SINGLE account. Simple.

Then we have another spreadsheet which has a list of the accounts, usernames and passwords.
They could be combined into 1 tab or 1 spreadsheet. Easy.

The key is to make sure you have written down:
1) the password to all working email addresses
2) the password to the phone account.

Both of the above are crucial as that's the most common way to 1) reset passwords 2) two-factor authenication.
Without being able to access either/both, you are dead in the water or locked out of accounts.

We also keep our "Personal networth" spreadsheet and projections to financial freedom number etc etc.

The spreadsheets are password protected but that is not enough.

Then the spreadsheets are housed on the below. It sounds like a bit of work. Initially it is but after setup, it's easy.
We bought 2 of these. 1 stays in my desk drawer at work and 1 stays at home.
The 8gb is plenty enough.

Amazing piece of tech.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine's way simpler.

Both of my brothers have a full copy of estate docs. Will, POA, health care directive, etc. One of them is my health care surrogate, the other is executor of my will. My copy of those docs, along with a list of account numbers/PINs/passwords and my tax stamps, is in a small safe that they could figure how to get into.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top