Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2023 5:30:02 AM EDT
You should change that.

On the third Sunday of July, Venetians commemorate the end of the plague of 1576.  Saturday night St. Mark’s basin fills with boats and the piazza fill with people. Sometime around 11:20, a fireworks show begins which lasts until midnight.

We were fortunate enough to witness it last night from an amazing vantage point.  That vantage point also afforded us the opportunity to see the rush of vessels leaving the basin after the fireworks concluded.  I’ve never seen anything quite like it.  The parade of boats returning their passengers to wherever they were staying lasted well over an hour
Attachment Attached File

Edit:  much wine had been consumed by the time that photo was taken.  Suits and bow ties are hot in July.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 5:38:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like you and your daughter had a great time

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Venice is a very touristy but it's still an amazing place. I have fond memories.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

ETA - I was in Vicenza from 85-87 and gradiated from VHS. My friends and I were ALWYAS jumping on the train to Venice to party. I've been there for every festival and yes it's amazing. Thanks for sharing the pic.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 6:41:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this the place they told us would be under water 10 or 20 years ago due to global warming?
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Legal age must be a lot lower in Italy?    
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is this the place they told us would be under water 10 or 20 years ago due to global warming?
View Quote

Yes, but it's only going to be 10-20 more years before you really see it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been to the Venetian, close enough.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Northern Italy is best italy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 8:06:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You should change that.

On the third Sunday of July, Venetians commemorate the end of the plague of 1576.  Saturday night St. Mark’s basin fills with boats and the piazza fill with people. Sometime around 11:20, a fireworks show begins which lasts until midnight.

We were fortunate enough to witness it last night from an amazing vantage point.  That vantage point also afforded us the opportunity to see the rush of vessels leaving the basin after the fireworks concluded.  I’ve never seen anything quite like it.  The parade of boats returning their passengers to wherever they were staying lasted well over an hour
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/136311/C92EBC92-D352-4DC0-AA41-E1CD8E8D788A_jpe-2887433.JPG

Edit:  much wine had been consumed by the time that photo was taken.  Suits and bow ties are hot in July.
View Quote

That is a look of joy you seldom see.
Bravo sir, You have done incredibly well.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Love Italy. Wife and I want to stay longer than 2 weeks for the next vacation.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm embarrassed to admit that, despite having been to Venice several times, I'd never heard of this commemoration. Much of this kay have to do with the general revulsion for anything Southern Europe in summer or anything Europe at all that close to August.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/F84A650C-2406-46C9-B3D1-D3F7D7319381-693.gif

ETA - I was in Vicenza from 85-87 and gradiated from VHS. My friends and I were ALWYAS jumping on the train to Venice to party. I've been there for every festival and yes it's amazing. Thanks for sharing the pic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, as High School kids, I doubt you had tables on the Gritti Palace patio.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was thinking granddaughter, but yeah.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is under water right now. Those pictures are from a Hollywood sound stage.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

You, sir, are clearly a man of taste and sophistication.

Fun fact, Russell Crowe and his family were dining directly behind us.  We wuz rolling with the big dogs (apparently).
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm embarrassed to admit that, despite having been to Venice several times, I'd never heard of this commemoration. Much of this kay have to do with the general revulsion for anything Southern Europe in summer or anything Europe at all that close to August.

View Quote

It is quite hot and very crowded.  We live in a tourist town in Florida, we are used to it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’d probably get in a lot of trouble if I told you she’s actually a few years older than me, so I won’t.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’ve got a short video somewhere.  When we get back stateside I’m planning on a humble brag thread about the trip, I’ll try to figure out how to include the video.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#22]
One of the best things we did in Venice was to throw away the guide book and walk off the (tourist) beaten path.
Local eateries/markets, children getting out of school, women doing laundry.... It showed there was some real life beyond the tourist spots.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should change that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/136311/C92EBC92-D352-4DC0-AA41-E1CD8E8D788A_jpe-2887433.JPG

Absolutely.

Happy for you both.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
One of the best things we did in Venice was to throw away the guide book and walk off the (tourist) beaten path.
Local eateries/markets, children getting out of school, women doing laundry.... It showed there was some real life beyond the tourist spots.
View Quote

Same here.

Our trip was in the mid-90's and we didn't have the same budget at the OP.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you think as a 15 - 18 year old you would have cared? I was too busy chasing American tourists, Italian chicks and partying. So if I did or didn't I don't recall but when you have been there about 100 times, as a kid, let me know. Look at where Vicenza is - Oh the other trips all over Europe - keep your one night on a patio, you could never beat my teen years in Italy.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've often told people that literally the best thing to do in Venice is to get lost. OK, only after you've been to the Scuola Grande di San Rocco. Knock that out. Then, just get lost.

But the OP seems to have found an enjoyable way to spend an evening as well... hopefully he and his wife were able to do some getting lost earlier that day.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Do you think as a 15 - 18 year old you would have cared? I was too busy chasing American tourists, Italian chicks and partying. So if I did or didn't I don't recall but when you have been there about 100 times, as a kid, let me know. Look at where Vicenza is - Oh the other trips all over Europe - keep your one night on a patio, you could never beat my teen years in Italy.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, bless your heart. Have a good day.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I’ve got a short video somewhere.  When we get back stateside I’m planning on a humble brag thread about the trip, I’ll try to figure out how to include the video.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've often told people that literally the best thing to do in Venice is to get lost. OK, only after you've been to the Scuola Grande di San Rocco. Knock that out. Then, just get lost.

But the OP seems to have found an enjoyable way to spend an evening as well... hopefully he and his wife were able to do some getting lost earlier that day.
View Quote

Oh, we got lost.

More than once.  It’s fun, we found some cool stuff that way (which, of course, cost me some money. )
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#30]
The last time I went to Venice happened to be during a brief “window” between Covid lockdowns. It was basically a ghost town. We had the town to ourselves and it was so fantastic. No crowds, no body odor, just wine and cantaloupe with prosciutto until we had to roll back to our air bnb.

I love Italy. Enjoy your time. Venice is great but Firenze is my favorite.
Top Top