Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/28/2024 11:06:59 AM EDT
When someone calls me, if I am busy I will not answer. The person who called didn't have the courtesy to leave a message. I assume if you did not leave a message it is not important, therefore I will not normally call them back. (Unless of course it is someone important to me: wife, kids, grandkids)

If someone calls you and you miss their call, do you bother calling them back? Or do you wait until the next go round when they call back or leave a proper voice message?

Some people think a missed call ping is grounds for a call back. Not for me, you call me and don't leave a voicemail I automatically assume you butt-dialed me or whatever was on your mind was jibber talk.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I just read the text they left right after I didn't answer the phone, and I hope they were courteous enough to NOT leave a voicemail.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Friends yes, random numbers fuck no. If it’s important they will leave a message and not leaving a message = its unimportant.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't call anyone back
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sh768:
I don't call anyone back
View Quote

Ron Swanson Approved.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#5]
No
My father in law does this
Drives me fuckin nuts. Calls, no Vm, no followup text. Fuck no I’m not calling back
Coulda been a butt dial. Or calling to shoot the shit. Tell me there’s an important topic to discuss and I’ll followup

Literally everyone else in my life leaves a Vm or texts
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
Friends yes, random numbers fuck no. If it’s important they will leave a message and not leaving a message = its unimportant.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:
I just read the text they left right after I didn't answer the phone, and I hope they were courteous enough to NOT leave a voicemail.
View Quote

Uncanny FPNI!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#8]
No.

No message call is disregarded.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#9]
No. If they didn’t leave a message, how important could it have been? When people call and don’t leave a message,
it’s because they know it’s something you’re not gonna want to talk about.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I call back. Don’t leave VM because I am not going to listen it. I just call back and we can pick up from there. We have caller id for reason. If it was quick you would have sent a text.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By runcible:
No. If they didn’t leave a message, how important could it have been? When people call and don’t leave a message,
it’s because they know it’s something you’re not gonna want to talk about.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Family:  Yes

Random numbers: Hell no
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#13]
You mean like actually talking on the phone to a real live person.  Too much anxiety for me
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:17:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#14]
If it's someone I know, then yes.

I've found voice mail to be very unreliable on cell phones, and I'm not the only one I know to have experienced this problem:  Sometimes VMs are delayed by hours or days.  My record is more than two weeks for one that my mom left when I was out of range, up in Big Bear.  I was only out of range for two days, but a VM that she left me didn't show up on my phone until two weeks after I got home.  The problem is much worse going from one carrier to another, e.g. a Verizon phone calling an AT&T phone.

My VM greeting says that VMs are unreliable, and anyone who has an urgent need to reach me should send a text or an email instead of a VM.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#15]
No VM or text = no call back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Who has voicemail setup? I’m not listening to that shit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#17]
If I know who it is I'll call or text them back...voicemail or followup text from them is preferred so I know how soon I need to call them back. Just because it's a mobile phone doesn't mean I or anybody else is able to answer every call, so I don't worry about that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
This.
You can waste your time leaving a VM if you want. I'm not going to listen to it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Generally speaking, if it's not important enough for them to leave a message, it's not important enough for me to call back. There are exceptions for certain family and friends, or people/companies I was trying to reach before they called.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#21]
If I know them I'll call them back.

If I don't know them and no vm or text, forget it.

In fact most people never leave a voice-mail any longer to the point that I'm considering disabling it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
This.
You can waste your time leaving a VM if you want. I'm not going to listen to it.
View Quote

I leave my vm full so people can't leave a message
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:22:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: styles] [#23]
View Quote

This and almost everyone I know texts or msgs before a call any more to check availability.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By weapons_free:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weapons_free:
This.

That's what my wife does.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#25]
This.
View All Quotes
This.

I rarely listen to voicemails, but I usually read them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

This.

Random number and no VM gets ignored, repeated calls like that get the number blocked.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I have my cell phone set up so that voicemail is disabled.  If it is an emergency they will repeatedly call back. I am retired and don't care about voicemail anymore.
I am not a big fan of "people" so I tend to not answer calls from unknown numbers, either.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#28]
This.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:

View All Quotes
This.

My phone doesn't have that feature. I wish it did.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#30]
If it's a friend VMs are an unnecessary pain in the ass. I see the missed call and call back when I get the chance.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:27:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DarthGrind] [#31]
Funny how that FPNI. I hate getting VM. If I didn't answer the call, I'm sure going to listen voice-mail. Send a text/ email instead; if it's important, I'll call.

Close people get called back, anyhow.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#32]
If it’s someone I know well, I might text them and say I saw they called, and did they need anything.  Otherwise, I figure if they didn’t leave a message, it wasn’t important, and they’ll talk to me later.  If it’s a number I don’t know at all, I assume it’s a scammer or spammer and ignore it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Unless from immediate family ALL voicemails get instantly deleted once I have a chance.  I never listen to them.  No one I know listens to VM.  Send me a text asking to call back and let me know if it’s an important matter.

Eta - my boss at work is 63 and she will leave VM’s that are 2+ minutes long about some BS then get upset that nobody listens to them.  LOL.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Absolutely not I don't have time to chase people around.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#36]
excepting immediate family -- no chance

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#37]
I don’t have voicemail set up.

I either answer your call, or you can text me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#38]
No and if I don't recognize the number I block it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By HellifIknow:
No.

No message call is disregarded.
View Quote
Only exception is my wife.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#41]
I've stopped answering calls from numbers I don't recognize.  I typically don't call them back.

If it's important they will leave a message, redial and/or text.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#42]
If they are in my contact list, then yes.  But if they are not in my contact list and don't leave a message then fuck no.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By styles:

This and almost everyone I know texts or msgs before a call any more to check availability.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By styles:

Most of my voicemails are from older family, or friends of the family, whose phone habits date back to land lines and answering machines with cassette tapes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Nope. I don't even return messages.

My voicemail explicitly says send me a text if it's urgent or an email. I don't have time to get roped into inane phone conversations with people who can't be concise.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#45]
My voicemail greeting asks my callers to NOT leave a message, and that I will return their call to the number they phoned me from at my earliest convenience.

So, yes, I call people back who don't leave a message.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Depends who it is…
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Only if it's family.  Unknown callers not leaving messages don't get call backs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#48]
No for anyone not a contact..
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#49]
No.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

This right here. Ill check on friends and family, but not rando numbers
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top