Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/24/2024 10:45:33 PM EDT
….why isn’t it legal, regulated and taxed like alcohol…?
Seems to me .gov could make a killing off taxing it.

Also …what stocks are going to be the ones to own when it IS reclassified….
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Read up on why it was made illegal to begin with...
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't have a War on Drugs if the drugs are legal...
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The black market price will always be cheaper and sell better.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you advocating for moar taxes?
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#5]
It's legal in almost half of the country.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Amped:
View Quote

Yup, they were afraid the African Americans would get hopped up on marijuana and go around raping white women. The war on drugs is racist.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:53:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#7]
Originally Posted By cschaeff:
View Quote

I don't know a single person in a legal state who still buys black market weed. It might be cheaper but the quality, for the most part, is nowhere near the quality of the legit operations.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

I don't know a single person in a legal state who still buys black market weed. It might be cheaper but the quality, for the most part, is nowhere near the quality of the legit operations.
View Quote

And no chance of dying from fentanyl.

Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By LostX:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yep, you know exactly what you're getting. You can also choose the strain you like for effects you want.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By akguy1985:

Yup, they were afraid the African Americans would get hopped up on marijuana and go around raping white women. The war on drugs is racist.
View Quote

Well, looks like they didn't do the best job they could have done. Lol
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

I've heard you are correct.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
It goes back further than that. There were concerns about it being habit forming and some states regulated it well prior to the marijuana tax act.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bondservant2:

View Quote
it’s legal over here
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Yep, you know exactly what you're getting. You can also choose the strain you like for effects you want.
View Quote

Yeah last time I was in Vegas I stopped into a dispensary. Guy was very well educated in his product and showed off their operation. They could trace back every shipment to the day it was planted. I’ll admit I thought the idea of dispensaries were fly by nights. Some may be, but the bigger ones are very legit.

Just make the damn thing legal. I’d much rather deal with room full of potheads than a society full of drunks.

But most of the smokers are their own worst enemy. Lighting up everywhere they go. People don’t like that and will fight against you.  Not everyone wants to smell your shit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

You don't know very many people in N. California or Oregon

Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
It goes back further than that. There were concerns about it being habit forming and some states regulated it well prior to the marijuana tax act.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By odiedodi:

Pretty sure it was about the hemp trade.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#17]
It should be legal since it is so easy to test drivers for being over the legal limit, right?
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:

View All Quotes

Bingo!
And likely very many other places!

I surmise most folks that smoke pot and have done so for much time have their supplies in check and have for a very long time, they ain't gonna buy  at inflated prices.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Drug prohibition justifies a plethora of state intrusion.  Well all know the state loves to intrude.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Lol, that's bait. You need to find better plugs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

The "regulate it and tax it" proved not to work in California, because government greed ruins it all, if legalization is going to get the criminal element out of the trade, it needs to be like radishes... grow it, use it, knock your socks off, and other than maybe sales tax, the government can GTFO.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By cavedog:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#23]
It definitely didn't work in California. People still regularly buy "illegal" marijuana because it is cheaper than the taxed stuff. Think about it, if you could avoid going to the gas station and paying all those taxes for gas when you could go to a corner and buy it for cheaper, and doing so is decriminalized, which would you choose? It is liking trying to tax criminals, what makes you think a criminal is going pay taxes? People who were smoking weed illegally are just not going to volunteer for taxes now, why would they? Especially in California where it isn't even enforced.

I actually talked to a guy in the Marijuana Control Board in CA. He said it is a mess, CA has the worst of both worlds (legal and illegal). Cartels are a strong as ever, they still find illegal grows that number in the many on private land that is rented from land owners, they still find bodies buried on the land. He told me the illegal growers don't follow any of the laws, but because it is decriminalized their punishment is a soft slap on the wrist at best, while the legit companies get hammered with fines for the slightest, least offensive offense.

Not to mention, it seems everyone is a pothead in CA. Companies that require drug testing or cannot hire drug users either have to turn a blind eye and risk legal trouble, or they have trouble filing their ranks. My roommate is a cop, they bust people for driving with an open (marijuana) container all the time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#24]
.why isn't it legal, regulated and taxed like alcohol ?

Also  what stocks are going to be the ones to own when it IS reclassified .
View Quote
Is this from 20 years ago?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

I've not heard of fentanyl in weed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Mostly because bible thumpers and old folks think it will ruin society, but alcohol is totally regulated and never abused and no one ever dies from it so we can keep it.

Also, the alcohol industry doesn’t like competition.  Once the government gets their heads out of their asses and finds out how much they can tax it (ten percent on top of the already excessive use taxes applied by states, cities, and counties) they’ll legalize it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 12:34:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 556NAT0:
It definitely didn't work in California. People still regularly buy "illegal" marijuana because it is cheaper than the taxed stuff. Think about it, if you could avoid going to the gas station and paying all those taxes for gas when you could go to a corner and buy it for cheaper, and doing so is decriminalized, which would you choose? It is liking trying to tax criminals, what makes you think a criminal is going pay taxes? People who were smoking weed illegally are just not going to volunteer for taxes now, why would they? Especially in California where it isn't even enforced.

I actually talked to a guy in the Marijuana Control Board in CA. He said it is a mess, CA has the worst of both worlds (legal and illegal). Cartels are a strong as ever, they still find illegal grows that number in the many on private land that is rented from land owners, they still find bodies buried on the land. He told me the illegal growers don't follow any of the laws, but because it is decriminalized their punishment is a soft slap on the wrist at best, while the legit companies get hammered with fines for the slightest, least offensive offense.

Not to mention, it seems everyone is a pothead in CA. Companies that require drug testing or cannot hire drug users either have to turn a blind eye and risk legal trouble, or they have trouble filing their ranks. My roommate is a cop, they bust people for driving with an open (marijuana) container all the time.
View Quote

Imagine if they had to test you for alcohol to get a job.

Yeah, it’s easier to sell something tax free than it is to sell it with massive taxes. I can’t imagine why that is such a popular thing. Also, buying stolen goods is typically a cheaper option than buying things full price at the store.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 12:38:13 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

lol
There is no black market in recreational legal states.
Not much in the bordering states, either.
The quality, prices and vast variety in dispensaries have relegated that market to the dustbin.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 12:39:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tspike] [#29]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

Mostly because bible thumpers and old folks think it will ruin society, but alcohol is totally regulated and never abused and no one ever dies from it so we can keep it.

Also, the alcohol industry doesn’t like competition.  Once the government gets their heads out of their asses and finds out how much they can tax it (ten percent on top of the already excessive use taxes applied by states, cities, and counties) they’ll legalize it.
View All Quotes

You honestly think that 10% tax you made up in your head will generate more money for the states/feds than the revenue from "The War on Drugs" can?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 12:52:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Because republicans want the weed heads at the ballot box.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 12:53:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Imagine if they had to test you for alcohol to get a job.
View Quote

Good. Blow over the limit at a drug screen you should have your offer yanked.

Not going to waste my time arguing causation, but there is absolutely a correlation that as weed has become more acceptable....

Homelessness has Increased
Depression + Suicide Increased
Crime Has Skyrocketed
Vehicle Accidents and Intoxicated drivers have skyrocketed
Vehicle Insurance has increased
Drug use in teens has increased
The Great Resignation happened
Skilled Workers have vanished

Our society is sick and getting worse.

The push for legalization is because they want us sitting at home, fat, dumb, stoned and watching Netflix of playing Xbox. It's literally the modern day "opium for the masses" .

As time goes on more and more research is showing the harm it's causing to people. Pot is not some magical harmless drug.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By bssrf4:
View Quote

Boomer lore

Right there with pot needles
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MobileHomie:

Boomer lore

Right there with pot needles
View Quote

Be more respectful, sonny.
We still remember when they hid eight balls in disco albums.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:06:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#34]
View Quote

Some of the prices in the dispensaries in Washington are like 10-15% of what it was when some kids I knew in highschool were buying it.

Originally Posted By tcfla:
It should be legal since it is so easy to test drivers for being over the legal limit, right?
View Quote

That's a legitimate issue, also, how can you tell if the guy who just drove your forklift through a door and off the dock got high two hours ago or on Saturday night last week.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:08:44 AM EDT
[#35]
REEFER MADNESS!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:19:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LostX] [#36]
Originally Posted By bssrf4:
View Quote

It’s a lore apparently, as burning kills off fentanyl.

I was exaggerating a bit, but with cartel supplied weed, you’re risking getting a mixed bag of who knows what. Not like they have a quality assurance team.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:22:15 AM EDT
[#37]
I've never smoked weed, but after I retire I believe I shall take up the habit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:19:22 AM EDT
[#38]
OP thinks the will of the people matters to the ruling class. Sure would be nice. Legalizing it and taxing it probably increases their net control. Either way it will never be legalized totally. Gotta tax and regulate those plants.  
Originally Posted By Enzo300:

lol
The quality, prices and vast variety in dispensaries have relegated that market to the dustbin.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Enzo300:

lol

I don't think that's correct talking to people around here.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:24:43 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Also cant nod off on special k and drown in your hot tub.
Hahaha, hella way to go.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:26:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Sick of hearing about it non-stop, but why does it need to be taxed?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:30:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By cavedog:
View Quote

That is probably part of it.

Also, from what I've read, states that have "made it legal and tax it" are being undercut by the illegal cartel weed anyway. They aparently tax and regulate it too much.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:35:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Papaw:
I've never smoked weed, but after I retire I believe I shall take up the habit.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:39:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Reading the OP is like having an conversation with my 70 year old mother.  Like almost 100% the same, she just asked me how to invest in legal weed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:40:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:
Drug prohibition justifies a plethora of state intrusion.  Well all know the state loves to intrude.
View Quote

so true

all these states loosening prohibition are giving out licenses by race

blacks, then hispanics, then everyone else

thankfully we're eliminating the prohibition, thereby getting rid of the state intrusion into people's lives and da free market
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:40:46 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

I was already proud of that before you brought it up
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 2:40:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
Sick of hearing about it non-stop, but why does it need to be taxed?
View Quote

Because this is America.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 3:14:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Amped:
View Quote

Did anybody ever collect the money put up by the guy who wrote The Emperor Wears No Clothes?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 3:21:28 AM EDT
[#48]
That's a great idea it's a wonder peeps haven't thought of such a Biz deal with the Fed .Gov.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 3:24:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Teetotalers
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 3:29:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Biggest guess at a federal level is pharma has a ton of control over the government and if it becomes too legit they lose billions in lack of pain pill sales and probably more billions in drugs to treat people dying from alcohol.  I'd imagine corporations invested in alcohol pressure against it as well.

The government tried to ban nicotine vapor products which are exponentially less harmful than smoking just to keep cash flowing from tobacco taxes.  

The government and corporations have no problem killing you if the price is right
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top