Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Eminent.

It’s spelled correctly right in the article you quoted.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I always hated that stupid "experiences" line from universities. No, your job is to produce educated workers for the workforce. Not to give kids a $100,00 four year party.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#3]
No telling how this will play out. Idaho gets dumb over the Broncos.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No telling how this will play out. Idaho gets dumb over the Broncos.
View Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if the state came in and shut this down somehow.  It's been their new mindset.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope they do shut it down, I can't imagine that baseball brings in a lot of money for the school.  A stadium would just make driving around campus more unpleasant than it already is.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]
They won't be homeless, they will get fair market value and then some.  They will only be homeless if they are stupid.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#7]
That football field is an abomination.

Fuck trucker tech.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck eminent domain  abuse...Roads, Pipelines, Airports, and National Defense. Everyone else can fuck off with this "Community Revitalization" or "Urban Renewal" bullshit.

DONATE: https://ij.org/
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They won't be homeless, they will get fair market value and then some.  They will only be homeless if they are stupid.
View Quote
I think the big deal here is that the government wants to take people’s homes so other people can hit a ball with a stick.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#11]
LOL baseball
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't believe that "eminent domain" was intended to be used for entertainment stadiums.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Eminem: Domain

The next big hit from Slim Shady.

Coming soon to an entertainment stadium near you!

Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't believe that "eminent domain" was intended to be used for entertainment stadiums.
View Quote
But it's for "higher ed!"
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't consider this a legit use of eminent domain.

The "homelessness" thing is stupid though.  If they pay the people fair market rates, it's not an issue.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#16]
California....california....HERE WE COOOOOMMMMEEE
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Residents should fight against it, but propose a huge payoff price for their property. Then, cash the heck out.

Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Eminent Domain was never meant to be used for anything but public works projects to provide vital infrastructure and services to the general public, and NOT for grabbing land for any special interest group, and in particular, not for the benefit of any non-governmental organization.

The Supreme Distort absolutely got that one wrong and in an epic fashion.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Residents should fight against it, but propose a huge payoff price for their property. Then, cash the heck out.

https://www.thetorquereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/porsche_911_turbo_s_exclusive_series_0001.jpg
View Quote
$257,600 before options.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Fuck eminent domain  abuse...Roads, Pipelines, Airports, and National Defense. Everyone else can fuck off with this "Community Revitalization" or "Urban Renewal" bullshit.

DONATE: https://ij.org/
View Quote
Was used recently by my city to tear down a newly built shopping center to build high density, low income housing not too far from me.

And they are working on doing the same thing to another, even larger shopping center.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think State Legislature is probably going to clamp down on this.

"It shall be unlawful to invoke eminent domain except in the following circumstances:" or some such.

Which works for me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Was used recently by my city to tear down a newly built shopping center to build high density, low income housing not too far from me.

And they are working on doing the same thing to another, even larger shopping center.
View Quote
Infuriating. Why even have property rights if any developer with enough political clout can steam roll you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Lol "homeless"

They should be able to cash out bigly
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Eminent.

It’s spelled correctly right in the article you quoted.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#25]
No one cares about people going homeless when a game is at stake!
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I hope they do shut it down, I can't imagine that baseball brings in a lot of money for the school.  A stadium would just make driving around campus more unpleasant than it already is.
View Quote
Is it even possible to make driving around there any more unpleasant? Oh, wait. It is. They could drop in another park & greenbelt connection.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Why not just use the Hawks field?  Maybe throw some money at it to make it bigger.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I think it was recently used (or threatened) to allow a private catholic university to build a football stadium. They dragged it on for awhile but the school and developer won.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
No such thing.  It's a weasel term used to justify stealing people's property and paying them less than the real value.  The real value being what purchaser and seller agree that it is worth.

"Yeah, but all the land nearby is selling for X!"

Then go buy that land.  It's not suitable for the purpose?  Then I guess that makes the land being seized unique... and with a unique value, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Without a doubt, this is an abuse of eminent domain statutes.

Having a stadium is fine but you cannot and should not use eminent domain statutes to get the land for it.

ABUSE, no doubt.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Personally, I'm of the opinion that the several States and their subordinate parts should have NO power of eminent domain whatsoever and the Feds should be limited to reasonable and necessary for military use only.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Damnit Boise....

We already have a stadium that is a hot mess. Why do we need another one?

Also, this smoke can fuck right off.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I work directly across the street from the football stadium.  Driving there is a non issue.  ZERO.  I'm currently working for couple months in DC.  Driving HERE is an issue.  ;)

Quoted:
View Quote
Two properties in question.  One is a small parking lot.  One is a small apartment complex... with mostly students living there.  Nobody will be "homeless".
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn, was his surgeon drunk.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
How do you think they built a cowboy stadium in Dallas?
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How do you think they built a cowboy stadium in Dallas?
View Quote
Fuck Dallas and fuck the Arlington Cowboys.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#38]
[b]
Two properties in question.  One is a small parking lot.  One is a small apartment complex... with mostly students living there.  Nobody will be "homeless".  
View Quote
That’s not the point, it’s the precedence that this takings action would establish.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That football field is an abomination.

Fuck trucker tech.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly!
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That’s not the point, it’s the precedence that this takings action would establish.
View Quote
The precedents were set long ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top