Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2018 5:45:31 PM EDT
So this is my all time favorite IPA and I would like to give it a shot. They list the grains and hops but I'm not sure of the amounts/boil times.

Any thoughts on what might work out best?

Outrage is an India Pale Ale featuring the robust and assertive flavors of American hops balanced by a sweet malt body and high alcohol content. We use only the highest quality English malts to create a bright copper color and smooth rich body for this ale. Maris Otter Pale Malt , Crystal Malt and a small addition of wheat supply the backbone and alcohol sweetness to help balance out this beer. However hops are the real feature of Outrage IPA. Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo and Citra hops are added throughout the brewing process to yield an assertive hop bitterness reminiscent of grapefruit, a sweet hop flavor, and a complex aroma with notes of citrus, spice and earthiness. Dry hopping helps to further accentuate the wonderful and unique aromas of the five American hop varieties. Look for huge flavor and aroma from Outrage with a noticeable kick from the alcohol content.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I just needed a place to start and work on it from there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok thanks, I'll check that out too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, here's a shot.

Marris Otter is a base malt so you can use that for the majority.

Try this for 5 gallons:

13 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Malted Wheat
1.5 lb Crystal 40  (this is the only real source of color)
OG: 1.081 (assuming 70% efficiency)

Yeast: Safeale SA-04  (English ale yeast)
FG: 1.020    ABV: 8%

Hop Schedule: Hard to say how they are doing this but here's what I'd do.

60 minutes: 1.5 oz simcoe  (alternatively, use 1oz warrior and 0.5 oz simcoe for more bitterness)
15 minutes: 0.5 oz Simcoe, 0.5 oz Cascade, 0.5 oz Centennial
0 minutes (flameout): 0.5 oz Cascade, 0.5 oz Centennial, 0.5 oz Amarillo, 1 oz Citra

Dry Hop: 1 oz Citra, 0.5 oz Amarillo (4 days)

Hops are expensive but it sounds like this is a double IPA with multiple hop additions and 5 diff hop varieties.
Not sure how true to original this would be, but I'd drink it. For the 0 minute addition, turn off the burner, throw in the hops, stir vigorously, let stand for 10 minutes, and then begin cooling rapidly with your chiller.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I dunno about the wheat. That is going to make it cloudy.
I'd go with Marris Otter and Crystal 60 as IPAs are pretty simple. You need to hit the hop schedule to approximate the flavor profile probably Cascade and Centennial. Yeast I'd rock Safale O5.

After reading the OP I see it is higher gravity 7% and sweet so you can up the MO grain bill, crush until you are scared, you will want a nice fine crush for your grain bill, maybe toss in a few handfuls of rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge. Maybe try Safale O4, it is sweeter than O5. Hit with O2 prior to pitching, pitch heavy, either reconstitute the yeast and step it up or dry pitch 2 packs. Ferment completely and do an iodine test to eek out the last few points of FG. Your hop schedule will be the hard thing to hit. It may take numerous tries to get it right. Quanity/variety/time, dry hop?

Sounds like fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top