Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Just give him a dead line and start cutting off fingers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate to be "that" guy, but are you sure your GC friend isn't the one fucking you? I mean really sure!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lien the property.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

OP may be getting roasted, but he's been actually set on fire.  

You're thinking of our resident Highlander @SCW
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this that silo thing?

OP may be getting roasted, but he's been actually set on fire.  

You're thinking of our resident Highlander @SCW

Right.

My stairs are working out fine, the client is still learning why I suggested they don't use drywall on the walls of the silo however.

And I haven't been on fire for nearly 20 years now!  Well, other than when I was learning to TIG weld.

@ToledoXJ
@kallnojoy
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Les Grossman scorched earth

Tropic Thunder - Les Grossman Yelling (HD)
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Long story short, I have a client (I am a sub-contractor on this one) for whom we built a staircase. This is in a multi-million dollar new home, and the design was such that it really is an art piece. I provided a cost estimate but only agreed to do the job by the hour plus materials, this was clearly communicated and agreed to by the owners. Well, wouldn't you know it, but now that it's complete and they have moved in they have decided that they don't want to pay the remaining difference from the original estimate. They are not disputing the hours, nor the quality of the work, they just don't want to pay the 11k they owe.

To my point: I am not going to pursue court action, in my opinion it is wasted time that I could spend making money instead of chasing money I may never see, or only see a portion of, making the loss even greater. What I am considering, is informing them that I will be picketing their home if they don't honor the deal we made and pay the bill. I don't want to do anything that is unethical, but am frankly pissed that they see no problem screwing me out of what is owed. What are the hives thoughts? Ridicule is, after all, mans most potent weapon....
View Quote

I'm currently building a multi-million dollar home and would not do that to one of the subcontractors. I would also want my 11k. Take him to court, OP. That's a lot of money.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lien the property.
View Quote

AND CARRY ON..... you will get a bonus out of the blue someday.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lien the property.
View Quote

FPNI, not sure of your state but here we have to re-issue liens every 2 years to keep them in effect.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’m taking the homeowners side in this.

You think because they are rich you don’t owe them the common courtesy of informing them of your progress and the status of their growing bill.

They aren’t afraid of you. Take it up with the GC (your boss) or follow the legal remedies allowed by your state.

This is on you for not getting paid as you go. The contract should have laid out the payment schedule as you progressed on the job.
View Quote

I just reread the original post, the Contractor is who he was working for, NOT the homeowners, the lost money is between those 2.
Any overages should have been reported as they occurred to the homeowners by the main contractor.
I've been through and seen this sort of situation a few times in the last 8 or so years. It almost never ends well for the subcontractor.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd picket that cheap bastards home in a minute. FTR- it doesn't have to be you, hire a kid @ $10 an hour. Couple hours twice a day during the morning and evening rush should do.

Actually I'd prefer to take my work back period. Even if he was standing there with the cash as I fired up the chainsaw. That would go south quickly.

But, reality is what Handydave posted. Pay a few $ and consult a lawyer, this sounds like your first rodeo. Don't hesitate, there's most likely time limits for filing.

Then rich boy can't sell or refinance his home until you're satisfied. Look at that 11K as being in a no interest savings account.

IME rich people are usually the first to try and fuck you out of a buck.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lien the property.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a contract, and the final bill is about 30% over estimate BUT this possibility was clearly communicated, which is why we only agreed to do the job hourly. I still may sue, but have been down that road in the past, and in my experience the courts seem to want everyone to feel some pain. If I get 1/2 it really will cost me as I would have sunk even more time and effort into chasing those shrinking dollars. What I am really after is getting them to pay, and if they don't, knowing that I am going to call them out by name, in front of all of their rich neighbors, in their rich neighborhood, that they are freeloading pieces of shit who refuse to uphold what they agreed to. I want them to feel it, not have it swept under the rug in an anonymous courtroom. Court feels like the easy way out for them, if that makes sense....
View Quote

Word of mouth is a powerful weapon amongst that crowd, but it's also a 2-way range.  I've seen businesses and individuals blackballed by the entire community through word of mouth.

You have an enforceable contract, sounds like.  I'd look into the lien/court option vs. making a public spectacle of yourself, if you want to continue doing business with their neighbors.  Word will still get around, but in a manner that isn't patently obnoxious.

Pad your estimates heavily in the future, and make sure your contract covers recovery expenses as mentioned.  Make them pay your court costs if that becomes necessary.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Lien property immediately in case theres time deadlines. Then sue them. Enough is enough. They are scum fraudsters who stole from you
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#15]
out of curiosity,  are there biden signs on their yard or on their cars?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Fpni
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We're not talking about 1100 man. It's 11000.

Get your fucking money.
View Quote

This
Lien on the property
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Picketing the home is worth your time but not court action? Put a lean on the home and move on.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Be careful OP

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Long story short, I have a client (I am a sub-contractor on this one) for whom we built a staircase. This is in a multi-million dollar new home, and the design was such that it really is an art piece. I provided a cost estimate but only agreed to do the job by the hour plus materials, this was clearly communicated and agreed to by the owners. Well, wouldn't you know it, but now that it's complete and they have moved in they have decided that they don't want to pay the remaining difference from the original estimate. They are not disputing the hours, nor the quality of the work, they just don't want to pay the 11k they owe.

To my point: I am not going to pursue court action, in my opinion it is wasted time that I could spend making money instead of chasing money I may never see, or only see a portion of, making the loss even greater. What I am considering, is informing them that I will be picketing their home if they don't honor the deal we made and pay the bill. I don't want to do anything that is unethical, but am frankly pissed that they see no problem screwing me out of what is owed. What are the hives thoughts? Ridicule is, after all, mans most potent weapon....
View Quote

"Clearly communicated" means in writing, correct?  If it's as simple as you have a contract and they owe you $11K, then I would pursue it via legal matters.

I don't see the logic of you don't want to pursue the matter via legal system because it's "wasted time" but yet spending your time picketing a house is a good use of your time?

Is this a business matter or a personal matter?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I would rip it back out since they don't want to pay for it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#22]
What is attach a lien to the property for $11,000 Alex.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am a sub, and do have a contract, and yes, I should go after the GC as well, BUT: he is a great guy who we have done a lot of work for who is also getting a nice long tender dry lovin' from this client as well. I would just be piling on him, I won't kick him when he's down....
View Quote

Are you running a business or an old boy’s club?

You made a deal, and someone else broke it.  Talk to the good ol’ boy GC and lay the facts out.

Then get your money.

Or follow through and put a lien on the property.

Rich people believe they are protected and in most cases they are, but the little guys have tools too.

Liens are usually really easy.  Granted they only come into play when they try to sell or refinance, but it is still a black mark.

You may or may not get your money, but the lien should be with your company, so they will get it eventually.

Trying to make a statement to other rich people about a way some other rich person scammed the system is like publishing a “How to scam contractors for dummies” book.

The rich will use it to their advantage.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I will give the OP $1,000 to legally take that debt collection over.

$10,000 in profit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I would put 100k worth of effort into getting my 11k payment. Fuck them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Claim they are screwing you over because you are jewish/native american/trans or whatever and call them racist bigots and picket as such... you will have a check in no time
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top