Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/10/2022 4:06:42 PM EDT
I’ve looked into “high yield” savings accounts and CDs. CDs don’t seem to offer much return so not sure if it’s worth it tying up the funds. For about half the yield, I could maintain flexibility with the high yield savings.

I briefly looked into FSA and FHA savings accounts but I think I’d need more info particularly how they relate to 401Ks and non-medical withdrawals.

My wife and I both have decently performing 401Ks (10-12% each)

Any and all info appreciated. What would you do?

Currently our savings is only earning .15%
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Treasury Direct Inflation savings bonds
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#2]
index funds.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  It won't keep up with brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
index funds.
View Quote

So just add it to index funds in our 401K?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#6]
VTSAX
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
index funds.
View Quote

yup

VOO or SPY
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#8]
BTC
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#9]
In my opinion you are better off putting longer term money into a quality S&P500 fund or a fund that targets quality blue chip dividend paying stocks - like VEIPX. Much better returns than CDs.

I'd also consider putting some $$ to work into a good tech fund, maybe QQQ.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So just add it to index funds in our 401K?
View Quote

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/05/18/how-to-make-money-in-the-stock-market/
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#11]
No mention of an investments outside of 401k. Do you have a Roth? IRA? Regular investment portfolio?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No mention of an investments outside of 401k. Do you have a Roth? IRA? Regular investment portfolio?
View Quote

I don’t have access right now to the exact %’s but about 30% of my total retirement is in a Roth. Not sure about wife’s details other than total $$. No other investments yet.
Quoted:

You can’t “add” it to your 401(k)s as those contributions must come from payroll deductions.

Gotcha

My first question would be what financial institution is managing your 401(k)s?

Fidelity for both

For simplicity, if your in lab manager(s) are a large investment firm like Vanguard, Fidelity, et al, I would open an account with them and deposit the $ there.

If your plans are being administered by lesser known firm(s) I would choose a large firm like Vanguard or Fidelity and open an account with them.

Once that has been determined/complete, check back in the business/investing forum for further guidance.

I should have known we had a sub-forum, lol.

The Treasury Direct and I Series and TIPS recommendation isn’t bad, but would involve setting up an account, linking the source of your funds (i.e. bank account) to them and then placing orders for whatever you decide you want/need.

The Treasury Direct website is fairly self explanatory with respect to how to do this, the products offered and how to place orders for them.

Thanks. Yes I’ve been reading about I Bonds since they were suggested. They seem pretty ideal for flexibility and ROI.

View Quote

Replies in Bold.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

shhhhhh....

"Everything is fine.", arfmilz

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Buying assets with your cash seems to be the ticket, there are dividend etfs out there that pay you monthly such as SDIV, PFN and many others.

It’s a real bad time right now with rising interest rates, but getting rental homes/properties has historically made more millionaires than anything else.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Buying assets with your cash seems to be the ticket, there are dividend etfs out there that pay you monthly such as SDIV, PFN and many others.

It’s a real bad time right now with rising interest rates, but getting rental homes/properties has historically made more millionaires than anything else.
View Quote

Benjamin Roth - The Great Depression: A Diary.  Bolded part was true.  If you're relying on your tenant's rental income to pay for your mortgage, you could be SOL if their entire paycheck goes just to feed their face.  If you read Roth's book, you'll learn that many landlords lost their rental units after they were foreclosed on.  Tenant would rent for a month, stiff the landlord and then vanish.  Even if you have fee simple absolute and no mortgage over your head, an unrented house or non-income producing property is a drain on wealth (taxes, upkeep, utilities).

Monetary history and history are entirely different study from economics.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Impossible to answer without more info.  

What are you are your wife's financial/retirement goals, life expectancy, pensions, current net worth, risk tolerance, expected inheritances (if any), current health situation, current investments, etc.  

The usual ARF gurus act like they are Michael Burry from The Big Short, but are really like the two bartenders in Florida from that film.  That bought a boat.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Benjamin Roth - The Great Depression: A Diary.  Bolded part was true.  If you're relying on your tenant's rental income to pay for your mortgage, you could be SOL if their entire paycheck goes just to feed their face.  If you read Roth's book, you'll learn that many landlords lost their rental units after they were foreclosed on.  Tenant would rent for a month, stiff the landlord and then vanish.  Even if you have fee simple absolute and no mortgage over your head, an unrented house or non-income producing property is a drain on wealth (taxes, upkeep, utilities).  Monetary history and history are entirely different study from economics.
View Quote

I am very familiar with Roth. Yes, and back in that day banks could call the entirety of a mortgage due at any time, what’s your point? We aren’t living in the Great Depression anymore. Policy has changed, you can hire a property management company to do literally everything for you and they WILL go after tenants with the long dick of the law. And it is in their best interest to keep your cashflow (also theirs) flowing.

Are you suggesting that rental properties are a money losing enterprise because of public policy in the 1930s???
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’ve looked into “high yield” savings accounts and CDs. CDs don’t seem to offer much return so not sure if it’s worth it tying up the funds. For about half the yield, I could maintain flexibility with the high yield savings.

I briefly looked into FSA and FHA savings accounts but I think I’d need more info particularly how they relate to 401Ks and non-medical withdrawals.

My wife and I both have decently performing 401Ks (10-12% each)

Any and all info appreciated. What would you do?

Currently our savings is only earning .15%
View Quote

PenFed mmkt certificates - rates just went up, got a 15mos cert for 1.19%.  12mos is .9%.  Otherwise going up the risk ladder BGH is a hi yield low duration bond fund that is excellent for what it does.  HTD, EVT are tax advantaged funds - all CEFs with distributions > 7-8%.   Single premium life insurance - 3.5% net tax free while inside the policy.  Baby bonds - exchange traded  corporate debt, higher up the capital stack than equity and easy to get 5-8% on those.    Everything is taxable unless in a qualified acct of course with the exception of the life insurance
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#20]
What is your risk tolerance?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
BTC
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m wanting to invest 10-20k. If I lost it all tomorrow, I’d be fine. It would definitely not be easy to swallow but we’d still eat steak on Sunday.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Benjamin Roth - The Great Depression: A Diary.  Bolded part was true.  If you're relying on your tenant's rental income to pay for your mortgage, you could be SOL if their entire paycheck goes just to feed their face.  If you read Roth's book, you'll learn that many landlords lost their rental units after they were foreclosed on.  Tenant would rent for a month, stiff the landlord and then vanish.  Even if you have fee simple absolute and no mortgage over your head, an unrented house or non-income producing property is a drain on wealth (taxes, upkeep, utilities).

Monetary history and history are entirely different study from economics.
View Quote

Internet says EconProf is correct, and by a huge margin. Surprised me. Still want nothing to do with tenants or tenements, with or without a management service.

Hell is other people.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I’m wanting to invest 10-20k. If I lost it all tomorrow, I’d be fine. It would definitely not be easy to swallow but we’d still eat steak on Sunday.
View Quote

Familiarize yourself with this concept before you do anything.

What is your goal? Steady income, long term wealth generation by compounding interest? A yolo bet on crypto?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Bitcoin
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#27]
NFT's. Buy NFT's.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Theres almost zero chance youll lose it all just going with sp500 index funds. It doesnt go to zero unless the world gets destroyed.

A single stock on the other hand...
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What are you are your wife's financial/retirement goals, life expectancy, pensions, current net worth, risk tolerance, expected inheritances (if any), current health situation, current investments, etc.  

The usual ARF gurus act like they are Michael Burry from The Big Short, but are really like the two bartenders in Florida from that film.  That bought a boat.  

View Quote

The money I want to invest is additional savings. We’re 30s, decent health, want to retire 60+and we expect atleast that long of life. Forgot to mention the kids both have 529s. NW probably 5-600K combined. Very middle class stuff. No Ferraris here.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The money I want to invest is additional savings. We’re 30s, decent health, want to retire 60+and we expect atleast that long of life. Forgot to mention the kids both have 529s. NW probably 5-600K combined. Very middle class stuff. No Ferraris here.
View Quote

If that’s the case you could look into opening a stock trading account and buying etfs/s&p/whatever else you want. Later in life you will have funds you can liquidate early without the tax penalties of an IRA or a 401k. Capital gains is still a bitch, though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Theres almost zero chance youll lose it all just going with sp500 index funds. It doesnt go to zero unless the world gets destroyed.

A single stock on the other hand...
View Quote

Good lord, did anyone actually suggest that? I could tell you a funny story, though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Good lord, did anyone actually suggest that? I could tell you a funny story, though.
View Quote

GameStop to the mooooooooon!
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#33]
A 3 year Tax Deferred Annuity through Fidelity is paying 2.7% right now.  It’s about as low-risk as you’ll find
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are doing well.  My general canned answer is to max out your tax deferred/advantaged savings plans, plus Roth IRA, have 1 year in living expenses in cash, pay off any debt besides a mortgage, and if that is taken care of, open a brokerage account with Vanguard/Fidelity and buy low cost index funds.  

I prefer Fidelity for their stock screening and research tools.  If it makes you feel any better, that is about where we were in our mid 30's and we are around 5 mil net worth now, no debt.  You'll get there.

ETA: find a fee based financial planner and a good tax person, the wealth killers are taxes, inflation, being over leveraged in debt, and health issues.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I’ve recently gone HEAVY into dogecoin, Dinars and pogs.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#36]
We are waiting!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Internet says EconProf is correct, and by a huge margin. Surprised me. Still want nothing to do with tenants or tenements, with or without a management service.

Hell is other people.
View Quote

It sure isn’t for everyone, and yes, other people really suck! The wife and I just bought our first rental home, (before interest rates went above 5% luckily) we’re giving it a shot. Wish we could buy more, but with 30 yr fixed being what it is, we would have to find a hell of a deal to make it worth it.

Our rentals also aren’t going to be in the leftist utopia known as Minnesota either :P luckily we’re flanked on all sides by freedom loving states.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I am very familiar with Roth. Yes, and back in that day banks could call the entirety of a mortgage due at any time, what’s your point? We aren’t living in the Great Depression anymore. Policy has changed, you can hire a property management company to do literally everything for you and they WILL go after tenants with the long dick of the law. And it is in their best interest to keep your cashflow (also theirs) flowing.

Are you suggesting that rental properties are a money losing enterprise because of public policy in the 1930s???
View Quote

I read that book years ago.  If I remember correctly he was frustrated with not having any cash available to buy heavily discounted assets like houses.  No one was lending.  

A look into a period in time for sure.  I wish more people back then had written their daily lives down.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I read that book years ago.  If I remember correctly he was frustrated with not having any cash available to buy heavily discounted assets like houses.  No one was lending.  

A look into a period in time for sure.  I wish more people back then had written their daily lives down.
View Quote

Yeah, I can’t imagine living during that time, did you know the difference between poor and middle class in the depression was that middle class could afford shoes for their kids? Fuckin wild.

Bretton Woods during WW2 changed everything for us, being the world reserve currency was like winning the lottery 3-4x over, and because of the necessity of expansion of the monetary supply we have been able to get away with monetary policy suicide for a long time. But we are starting to find out we are not immune to massive inflation when we start expanding the supply by trillions. My fear is the real estate market will be decimated again because of the need to raise interest rates to reign in runaway inflation.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#40]
MVIS?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#41]
1 - Setup an account at Vanguard, link you bank account.
2 - Do nothing. Wait. Maybe wait the rest of 2022.
3 - When the market crashes VINFX and forget about it

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
1 - Setup an account at Vanguard, link you bank account.
2 - Do nothing. Wait. Maybe wait the rest of 2022.
3 - When the market crashes VINFX and forget about it

View Quote

REITs are about to have a fire sale, if you’re a bold investor. You could possibly snag 20-30% effective dividend yields with the coming correction.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
MVIS?
View Quote

That, and IceStationZebra was the funny story.

He misread/misunderstood my original post and thought I worked for MVIS...went in balls deep and made millions.

Still not sure why he thought I would do that, the SEC would still have me in chains somewhere...
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, I can’t imagine living during that time, did you know the difference between poor and middle class in the depression was that middle class could afford shoes for their kids? Fuckin wild.

Bretton Woods during WW2 changed everything for us, being the world reserve currency was like winning the lottery 3-4x over, and because of the necessity of expansion of the monetary supply we have been able to get away with monetary policy suicide for a long time. But we are starting to find out we are not immune to massive inflation when we start expanding the supply by trillions. My fear is the real estate market will be decimated again because of the need to raise interest rates to reign in runaway inflation.

View Quote

I keep trying to decide how to position for likely scenarios, I’m somewhere between the leverage yourself to the hilt with the free money at low interest droolers  and we will be eating our cats doomer crowd.  

Hard to say what will happen except the world seems to be suffering from an on going mass psychosis.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That, and IceStationZebra was the funny story.

He misread/misunderstood my original post and thought I worked for MVIS...went in balls deep and made millions.

Still not sure why he thought I would do that, the SEC would still have me in chains somewhere...
View Quote

Oh that’s right, You started the MVIS thread! Nice! I ran the options wheel on mvis heavily when premiums were 20-30% I heard about that stock by reading that thread. So I guess I have you to thank for the cash that I made!
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I keep trying to decide how to position for likely scenarios, I’m somewhere between the leverage yourself to the hilt with the free money at low interest droolers  and we will be eating our cats doomer crowd.  

Hard to say what will happen except the world seems to be suffering from an on going mass psychosis.
View Quote

I never could have predicted that a republican president would enact policy to give people trillions in future debt. Who the fuck knows where this wild ride stops.

And before I get accused of being a never trumper I am not, would vote for him a 3rd time, just making an observation about how crazy monetary policy has been the last 3 years.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
This
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

What are the chances an index fund is going to go to zero tomorrow?  nearly impossible.

I'd put $10k in a Vanguard brokerage account tomorrow if I were in your shoes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A 3 year Tax Deferred Annuity through Fidelity is paying 2.7% right now.  It's about as low-risk as you'll find
View Quote
Yes, but there are better fixed rate options
Given assets, age, risk tolerance, ect, exploring fixed index and longer duration would be worthwhile for him.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Suggestions are fine but the hard part for me was getting started. I read all the investment related topics here and see where a lot of folks recommended fidelity. My first step was to install the app and look around a few days. Once comfortable with using the app I linked a bank account and transferred $10k to see how the trades work, how to buy a cd and when it tosses you into the online site to buy bonds and the like that are not supported on the mobile app.

Once comfortable I began to transfer in more and more..I liquidated my 401k (recently retired) to make it portable and will transfer that next week.

My first purchase was a cd. Easy peasy  and no real mistakes to be made just to break the ice. The great thing about it is a 2 year cd is 2% versus the .15 I was getting as you described. Already making more money easy as that. Next was a 1yr treasury bond that beats a cd to learn how to find the bond I wanted as this takes you out of the app and to the online site. Now I have bought into a few of Fidelity’s index funds as there is no charge buying their products as a fidelity account holder. Created a rollover Ira and was able to put 14k into that as 2021 catch up and 2022 funding.

It is a baby step process for me almost to the point of analysis paralysis but now that I am up and running I should have done it 10 years ago. In fact, I feel I missed a chance of a lifetime in 2020. I was standing in the way of my own success.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top