Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2020 11:51:58 AM EDT
Just starting to get back into riding.  I have a decent hardtail, but find myself wanting a FS bike.  I found a 2015 Scalpel locally for a decent price.  Since it's a few years old it doesn't have a 1x drivetrain or dropper post.   I'm on a budget and can probably live without those, or add them later.  Would it be a decent first FS bike?  It has the lefty fork which I'm also unsure about.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just starting to get back into riding.  I have a decent hardtail, but find myself wanted a FS bike.  I found a 2015 Scalpel locally for a decent price.  Since it's a few years old it doesn't have a 1x drivetrain or dropper post.   I'm on a budget and can probably live without those, or add them later.  Would it be a decent first FS bike?  It has the lefty fork which I'm also unsure about.
View Quote

My buddy has that same one. He enjoys his. Air suspension is good, I believe since it’s a lefty you won’t be able to pull the front wheel off on the trail or for ease of travel but other than that it’s a very good bike and you can always swap out to a 1x later on. Also dropper posts should be easy to come by as well.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Check the frame. It may not have internal cable routing for an internal dropper. There are external dropper options though.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I would inspect it and make sure bearing and seals are good. Depending on how much your getting the bike for it might be better to get a entry level full suspension and mod it latter.  If the dropper is internally routed I have a dropper sitting around you can have(just pay shipping).
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally, I would never ride a lefty fork.

It depends on the type of riding you intend and features at the trail(s) you hit, but those forks do not seem to handle the torque that various trail features introduce. They seem fine for cross country style, not for trail riding IMO.

There may be other variables but I have seen 2 failures just in the past couple couple of months at my local trail, where riding over relatively small features (pump roller, and a smooth roll "drop") caused the fork to twist and collapse, spilling the rider.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Huh. Wonder.if the failures above involve proper torque of the front bolt.

My lefty on my fatbike. Ive ridden the shit out of it, you know, for a fatty... Feels fine. these things are based on landing gear tech, not to mention cars/ trucks use single side mounting.

The service looks pretty easy as well. Much easier than a lower leg service on a regular fork.

Only downside ive seen is if the lower gets damaged from contact with a rock its expensive to repair and can only be serviced by c dale.

Fender options also suck. It does make way more sense on the fatty as it is a way stiffer solution than a regular fatty fork.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Another thing to think about is what type of riding you do or want to do. Not all mountain bikes are suited for all riding styles. If your goal is to do any gravity oriented, aggressive trail riding over rough terrain, or doing big drops or jumps, the scalpel wouldn't be the best choice. It would be great for XC riding/racing.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#7]
71.2 degree headtube angle and only 100mm of rear travel, that bike isn't something I'd consider for trail riding.

What are you looking to spend and what type of riding are you doing?
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies.  This would probably just be used for normal trail rides.  Nothing too crazy and I don't see myself jumping it or anything.  I'm in FL, so no mountains.  I'm ideally looking to spend around 1500, but might jump up to 1800 for the right bike.  The Scalpel I'm looking at is 1350 and looks to be 100% stock and in good shape.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
That bike should be just fine for 90% of Florida. What part of the state are you in?
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Near Tampa, Alafia River State Park seems to be popular and isn't too far from me.  I'm considering some other bikes as well.  Some of them are higher end, but still in my price range since they are a bit older.  Scott Genius, Giant Trance, Specialized Camber, etc.  I'm wondering if I'd be better off with a high end bike with good components from 2012-2014 or a more entry level bike that is new-ish.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That bike should be just fine for 90% of Florida. What part of the state are you in?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#11]
It really depends how much you want to ride. If you expect to ride a lot, get a new bike. I have ridden Alafia and it is pretty fun, but tame. Same with Santos. My opinion, take it or leave it, is to get a trail bike. They are capable in all types of terrain, more forgiving and versatile than XC bikes. It would not be a good race bike, but just a fun and capable ride.

The thing with full suspension is there are not any really good budget FS bikes. You really need to get in the $2k+ range and that still will get you low end components. Take that for what its worth. Without really knowing your how much you plan to ride and what your riding aspirations are, it's hard to say what would work for you.

Ask yourself if you are going to be happy with the scalpel or are you just looking for an inexpensive entry into FS. If it is the latter, stick with the hardtail and save money for a better bike.

I am biased to the YT brand, but this a lot of bike for a low price.
https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/2364/sCategory/511
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:51:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Near Tampa, Alafia River State Park seems to be popular and isn't too far from me.  I'm considering some other bikes as well.  Some of them are higher end, but still in my price range since they are a bit older.  Scott Genius, Giant Trance, Specialized Camber, etc.  I'm wondering if I'd be better off with a high end bike with good components from 2012-2014 or a more entry level bike that is new-ish.  

View Quote

I ride at Alafia, Boyette and Carter so we ride the same trails. I agree with everything Offspring said as well as the YT Jeffsy recommendation if it's in budget, although I have no idea when they'll be in stock again. Also I don't like that they use a pressed in BB, but that's just my preference. Another new bike to look at if you go that route is the 2021 Stumpjumper, Outspokin in Tampa has them in stock.

If you're willing to buy online, the Vitus Mythique for $1500 looks really good and I have heard good things about the Polygon Siskiu D7 for $1700 but both are out of stock at the moment.

Personally I like the idea of a newer entry level bike because you can upgrade components as you need/want and you'll have the most up to date frame geometry.

Link Posted: 11/12/2020 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I ride at Alafia, Boyette and Carter so we ride the same trails. I agree with everything Offspring said as well as the YT Jeffsy recommendation if it's in budget, although I have no idea when they'll be in stock again. Also I don't like that they use a pressed in BB, but that's just my preference. Another new bike to look at if you go that route is the 2021 Stumpjumper, Outspokin in Tampa has them in stock.

If you're willing to buy online, the Vitus Mythique for $1500 looks really good and I have heard good things about the Polygon Siskiu D7 for $1700 but both are out of stock at the moment.

Personally I like the idea of a newer entry level bike because you can upgrade components as you need/want and you'll have the most up to date frame geometry.

View Quote

I was skeptical about the press fit BB, but everything else about the Jeffsy allowed me to overlook it. After about 2500 miles my E13 BB seized and I replaced it with a Race Face. I expect to get the same number of miles out of it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Thoughts on this one?  2017 Stance 2, like new.  No dropper and a 2x9 drivetrain.  Not ideal, but I can get into it for 1k.  

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/stance-2-2017
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't do that.

2x sucks.

by the time you upgraded it with a dropper your pretty close to a much better newer bike, and you'll eventually want to get rid of 2x because it sucks, so there's more money.

look here

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-trip-sub-2000-trail-bike-round-table.html

Link Posted: 11/12/2020 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wouldn't do that.

2x sucks.

by the time you upgraded it with a dropper your pretty close to a much better newer bike, and you'll eventually want to get rid of 2x because it sucks, so there's more money.

look here

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-trip-sub-2000-trail-bike-round-table.html

View Quote

And it is a 27.5. I would pass.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I found a 2016 Giant Stance in good shape.  It's a pretty basic bike with 3x9 Alivio drivetrain and no dropper, but it's only $600.  Would it be worth buying and upgrading at that price point?  I'm guessing it will sell quick so trying to make a decision on it.  Link to specs:  

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/stance-27dot5-2-2016
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m gonna agree with others here... wait and buy a new F/S. stump jumper is a great choice. Trance 2. Tallboy 3.

All awesome rides. For a great deal on a user ride- Wait till the bike inventory normalizes this summer / fall and prices will plummet when people like me want a new frame. I ride a tallboy 3 and think it is PERFECT for the type trails you have and for someone who occasionally wants to “send it”

If you have a bike now - just wait. Maybe upgrade your hard tail to a 1x system via sram NX groupset. GX if you have an HD driver.

And those fools looking down on 27.5 need to go ride one. I’m not trying to win races (though I finish in top 1/3) but I’m among the top times on Strava for all my segments. I LOVE my 27.5+ Tallboy 3. Fast. Nimble. Supple ride. And jumps like a kangaroo and takes drops like a boss.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
And those fools looking down on 27.5 need to go ride one. I’m not trying to win races (though I finish in top 1/3) but I’m among the top times on Strava for all my segments. I LOVE my 27.5+ Tallboy 3. Fast. Nimble. Supple ride. And jumps like a kangaroo and takes drops like a boss.
View Quote

I have 2 sets of 27.5 wheels in my garage. One pair of sun Durocs with Maxxis Ikon/Rekon. Another set of stan's Barons with Maxxis DHF/DHR. I'll take 29 all day long on a full suspension. 27.5+ makes a hardtail more comfortable, but still prefer 29 overall.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I found a 2016 Giant Stance in good shape.  It's a pretty basic bike with 3x9 Alivio drivetrain and no dropper, but it's only $600.  Would it be worth buying and upgrading at that price point?  I'm guessing it will sell quick so trying to make a decision on it.  Link to specs:  

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/stance-27dot5-2-2016
View Quote

I'll say yes. You'll need a clutch rear derailleur and you can get a dropper for $100 from the PNW re-cycled program.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 6:33:13 AM EDT
[#21]
But can he get a clutch derailleur for a 9-speed?  I thought they never made them.  OP, you definitely want a clutch der. in whatever bike you get.

I'll give an alternative opinion.  1x would be preferred, 29er would be preferred...but a decent bike with 2x10 and/or 27.5 could be just fine.  They may not be the latest and coolest, but they are very capable.  I've put 1000s of miles on my 2x10 27.5 Anthem, and the 2x hasn't been an issue except dropping the chain a few times on rooty trail, and the 27.5 is a lot of fun.  That being said, I'm looking for my next bike that will be a 1x 29er...but I have a big budget so I'm going to be picky.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the replies.  I'm going to keep looking around and see what I can find.  I'm going to look at new bikes as well.  My hardtail is pretty decent, so I'm in no rush.  I think I've decided to hold out for the right bike with all the features I want.  Dropper, 1x, trail geometry, not too old, decent travel, good components, etc.  I've also realized I'll probably have to up my budget a bit.  Bikes seem to be selling quick and for top dollar around here, so I just need to be patient.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#23]
A brand new Stance is only like $1550, but I would spend the extra cash for whatever the cheapest Trance is. Then you will get boost thru-axle rear and you will get Maestro suspension.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been scouring FB marketplace for weeks looking for the right bike for the right price and I think today my patience finally paid off.  I ended up getting a 2020 Marin Hawk Hill 2.  The bike has everything I was looking for, 1x12 drivetrain, dropper post, trail geometry, and decent travel (130/120). Also has boost spacing and thru axles.  All in good shape with light use.  It's a 27.5, but I'm ok with that I think.   I paid $1500, which seemed very fair, especially given the current market.  I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.

Basically this exact bike and color, though they seem to call it the Rift Zone now.
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2021-rift-zone-275-2
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've been scouring FB marketplace for weeks looking for the right bike for the right price and I think today my patience finally paid off.  I ended up getting a 2020 Marin Hawk Hill 2.  The bike has everything I was looking for, 1x12 drivetrain, dropper post, trail geometry, and decent travel (130/120). Also has boost spacing and thru axles.  All in good shape with light use.  It's a 27.5, but I'm ok with that I think.   I paid $1500, which seemed very fair, especially given the current market.  I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.

Basically this exact bike and color, though they seem to call it the Rift Zone now.
View Quote

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Happy bike day! Now ride the shit out of it!
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

good job!
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice find! I was looking at a marin san rafael ds2. Think I am going to order one.

Marin seems to pack some good value for the price in their bikes. This will be my first one since I was like 14-15 and we only plan on using for rails to trails type stuff, but if I get into it I could see spending some money on a better bike

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#29]
After buying my bike my wife expressed some interest in trying mountain biking.  She has a nice road bike and tri bike, but has never ridden a mountain bike.  Since I was already in bike shopping mode I started looking around and eventually found a nice used Trek EX7 in her size. She wasn't going to settle for just anything, and this one was purple, which she loves.   It was a bit dirty and I paid a little more than I wanted, but it's a nice bike, a step up from my Marin even.  Hoping to hit the trails together fairly soon.  Bike I got her:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/fuel-ex/fuel-ex-7/p/29456/
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
After buying my bike my wife expressed some interest in trying mountain biking.  She has a nice road bike and tri bike, but has never ridden a mountain bike.  Since I was already in bike shopping mode I started looking around and eventually found a nice used Trek EX7 in her size. She wasn't going to settle for just anything, and this one was purple, which she loves.   It was a bit dirty and I paid a little more than I wanted, but it's a nice bike, a step up from my Marin even.  Hoping to hit the trails together fairly soon.  Bike I got her:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/fuel-ex/fuel-ex-7/p/29456/
View Quote

Nice! I can't get my wife to ride trails with me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just starting to get back into riding.  I have a decent hardtail, but find myself wanting a FS bike.  I found a 2015 Scalpel locally for a decent price.  Since it's a few years old it doesn't have a 1x drivetrain or dropper post.   I'm on a budget and can probably live without those, or add them later.  Would it be a decent first FS bike?  It has the lefty fork which I'm also unsure about.
View Quote

One of my all-time favorite bikes that I regrettably sold was a Cannondale F29.  It weighed in at under 24 pounds and that was with a dropper post on it.  It had a Lefty fork - do NOT pay attention to those who malign them - they are very good forks and I know plenty of riders who buy full Cannondale bikes just to get the Lefty fork.  In fact, the Lefty forks are even MORE rigid than those with dual stanchions (outside of purpose-built DH forks).  Look at airplanes - ever noticed that their wheels do not use two stanchions.

Lefty's are also easier to work on, on the trail.  If you're tubeless and you get a pinch flat or shear and need to work on the wheel, you can do so without even removing it from the hub since you have 100% access from the right side.  If you need to remove it, you just need a hex wrench, which should be on any bike multi-tool.

My Cannondale F29:

Take a look at why the Lefty is so rigid:

Benefits Cannondale Lefty fork by Beukers Bike Centre

Here's one that is recent and directly addresses it:

Are Lefty Forks Really Strong Enough? | Ask GMBN Tech Ep.25

Here's the bike I currently ride (I'd sell it in a heartbeat if I could find a good Cannondale Scalpel), which is a 2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C (not pictured, but just replaced the rear shock with my Risse rework Fox Float X CTD):

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top