Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2023 3:31:04 PM EDT
Spam me with your infinite knowledge on cheese making. Bought some starter bacteria for hard cheeses and realizing I'm in over my head. Do I really need a cheese press? Will a cheese mold work just as well?
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#3]
If you going to get into cheesemaking on a long term basis a press is good.  A lot of cheeses start with a minimal pressure then increase after a few hours.  
You can make your own, a couple of 16" all thread rods, 5/16 or 3/8 a cutting board from amazon and then a couple pieces of wood and washers and nuts you can make a press.   I bought these to make it a bit easier.  I'm just getting into it myself.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 6:10:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cammomileT75] [#4]
Medicman,  good to know thank you! Knew they were different but read somewhere I could possibly use a mild instead of a press but that makes sense. Did you find making your own cheese worth the time, effort and money?
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
If you going to get into cheesemaking on a long term basis a press is good.  A lot of cheeses start with a minimal pressure then increase after a few hours.  
You can make your own, a couple of 16" all thread rods, 5/16 or 3/8 a cutting board from amazon and then a couple pieces of wood and washers and nuts you can make a press.   I bought these to make it a bit easier.  I'm just getting into it myself.
View Quote
Sweet thanks! I'll check that out. Keep me posted on how it goes! It'll be about a month or so before I can get serious trying
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Start with 30 minute mozzarella or paneer.

Cheese press and a mold are two different tools.  The press consolidates the curd and removes whey to get to a desired dryness.  Sometimes the mold is used on conjunction with the press, other times just for creating a specific shape.  

You can DIY a cheese press.  I can't remember where I bought mine but it's essentially a 6" plastic tube that sits on a plastic base.  Two pieces of all thread go from the base up to a bar at the top with a couple of wing nuts.  

View Quote
You sound like you know what you're doing. Did you find making cheese yourself worth the time, effort and money?
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:

Money, no.  But I enjoy it and that's worth something.  It gets even more expensive when you start using raw milk.

I'm not very good.  Failed many times.  Haven't made anything in a year.  Time to do it again.

View Quote
@medicmandan for sure that's worth something. Pride of hard work with a test outcome. oh yeah. I tried my hand at home made yogurt last week with raw milk. Utter failure and expensive failure at that. I'm wanting to make homemade dairy because I'm lactose intolerant and thought maybe the raw milk would make it weaker to digest.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Find an old freezer or fridge and an stc-1000 controller and make a simple cheese cave for aging your cheese at constant temp. Makes all the difference for certain cheeses.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Look at a dutch style cheese press. I use different weights for different pressure on different cheeses. Usually I'd hang a gallon milk jug with water and fill to certain levels and/or hangi it at different places along the top lever.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#11]
@rwilkins01 interesting stuff! I'll take a look.  Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top