Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2021 6:39:46 PM EDT
Still a ton to learn, but a long way from the guy who knew no difference between maxwells house and folders and thought they were the best

I still take a large thermos of chock full of nuts brewed in my bunk to work everyday but for drinking at home I’ve been using a French press and whole beans. Grinding here. Weighing the grounds before they go into the French press. Etc.

I’m sure when it gets nice again outside and I’m not inside as much this will end but man good coffee is surely a treat

This is my current favorite bean

What coffee to water ration do you guys use?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You are given 4 cups of freshly pressed coffee. A brewmaster has correctly prepared these cups specifically for you.

Could you correctly identify the origin and roast of each cup?

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing wrong with being a coffee snob!  I'm glad yet another person has the taste buds to detect
the huge difference there is between run of the mill brew, and something better.  I need to buy a french press
and decent grinder so I can grind my own beans at home as well, but for a "better than average" home brew
that's easy, I typically use a Keurig with reusable cups and (believe it or not) McDonalds McCafe Premium Roast Medium.
I know, I know, but it's much better than what they sell in the restaurant and not bad when you balance taste and price,
for something quick and easy.  My current favorite blend when I'm near a 60 Beans Coffee shop is their house blend.  However,
a girl who works there told me it comes from Maryville TN and is probably this one:  https://www.viennacoffeecompany.com/coffeegroup/vienna-coffee-house-blend  
I have yet to order it and try it but plan to soon.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with being a coffee snob!  I'm glad yet another person has the taste buds to detect
the huge difference there is between run of the mill brew, and something better.  I need to buy a french press
and decent grinder so I can grind my own beans at home as well, but for a "better than average" home brew
that's easy, I typically use a Keurig with reusable cups and (believe it or not) McDonalds McCafe Premium Roast Medium.
I know, I know, but it's much better than what they sell in the restaurant and not bad when you balance taste and price,
for something quick and easy.  My current favorite blend when I'm near a 60 Beans Coffee shop is their house blend.  However,
a girl who works there told me it comes from Maryville TN and is probably this one:  https://www.viennacoffeecompany.com/coffeegroup/vienna-coffee-house-blend  
View Quote

3rd wave coffee thread degenerates into McDonald’s K Cups in 4 posts!

OP - I use an Aeropress, Chemex, and 2 beehouse pour overs, but our daily pot is a Bonavita Metropolitan (which has an SCA certified internal that is used in their certified brewer), ground with a Baratza Encore with upgraded M2 burrs.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I've come to prefer Guatemalan as well.  For marginal coffee, I learned a trick from some Gypsies of throwing powdered Cardamom in to give it an "exotic" flavor.  Had to do that to a batch of Mexican Organic I got that was underwhelming.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Me too, Maxwell House or nothing!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Claims to be a coffee snob.
Doesn't own a grinder or french press.
Drinks McDonald's coffee in kcups for convenience.

Maury determined that was a lie.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you have any particular taste you are going for or just trial-and-error?  I'd like to mess around but unsure what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are close enough to Pittsburgh, visit Nicholas Coffee for a wide selection of beans

https://www.nicholascoffee.us/
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone whose footwear of choice is crocs has invalid opinions on everything.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#10]
This is my current favorite- https://www.cremadekona.com/
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't join r/espresso/ my wallet never recovered but I now have a Gigga classic (with upgrades) and a sette 270 grind and very picky on coffee now
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#12]
What about BBC and Santa?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#13]
WalMart organic sumatra whole bean is a definite banger.  Sam's Choice or whatever.  The drip is still bomb, even hipsters have come full circle & use their foo foo kettles to pour the hot water over & feel superior to you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do you have any particular taste you are going for or just trial-and-error?  I'd like to mess around but unsure what I'm looking for.
View Quote

Mainly just trying everything I would have never dreamed of trying before. Going out of my comfort zone
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually I claimed to know the difference between regular coffee the average joe drinks and what
many would call "snob" blends.  Being a regular guy, I don't have time to prepare anything fancy at
home so I use something simple that gets the job done.  When I'm out and about I treat myself
to something better, but am still humble enough to enjoy something simple at my home, or yours should
you serve Maxwell House, or Dollar General.  

The same people who are quick to judge a man for his coffee, are the same ones who put down Daniel Defense,
BCM, LMT, etc., and then shoot budget rifles.  Not that there's anything wrong with that!  (Old Seinfeld reference, lol)

To all the internet armchair commandos, quarterbacks, and coffee aficionados, DRINK UP whatever your preferred blend is!

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Ho Lee Fuk.

A RB thread where he gets it right.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Central American beans are currently the ‘belle of the ball.’ If you prefer a thicker body on your tongue, Yemeni and Ethiopian Beans are to be tried. For a lighter taste, the ‘island beans’ are softer.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#18]
BRRC is the only coffee you should drink OP...
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m not a coffee snob and used to drink normal K-cups that I could get cheap. After trying Stocking Mill there is no going back for me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#21]
k cups are just as good.

Lol at you goobers for getting out a chemistry set to make a cup of coffee.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
k cups are just as good.

View Quote
LOL please tell me the date when your K-cup coffee was roasted. I'll wait.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I got this great apartment with a nice patio overlooking the sunset where I can have my cigars. I needed a metal container for the butts and thought it'd be neat to get an antique coffee can. I went to a couple of antique stores and they didn't have any of those. So instead I just looked at the bottom shelf at the grocery store and Folders still makes coffee in a metal can.

Bought it, took it home, opened it up, tossed the contents in the garbage and I had my cigar pail.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#24]
When you get a chance give Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee a try. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for...
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#25]
A family member gave me some of the below(whole bean) to try. I ordered a couple bags. The Irish creme is awesome.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Make your coffee the way YOU like it. Pretty simple.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I got a Nesco Coffee Bean roaster to try my hand at roasting green beans.
S/O paid less than $60 during Christmas.
This is my other vice
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
k cups are just as good.

View Quote

I’ll fully admit I used to think like this

Now, I can laugh at the comment
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
k cups are just as good.

View Quote

Kcups are made of soy plastic and it melts when hot water is squeezed through it. Check out a Netspresso machine. They are pretty awesome and the cups are metal. They even give you a recycling bag you can throw in the garbage.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Wait until you find out about the Chemex and Geisha beans

My experience is the deeper you go into coffee the less ROI you get for your money.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Not a snob, but I prefer a good cup of 100% Kona or some Big Braddah’s from Kauai Coffee Co.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm more of an addict.....maybe even a fiend .
3-4 pots a day in the winter , mostly middle of the road stuff , 8 O'clock, Starbucks, Petes, Seattle's Best ...and buy it slightly expired, by the case on Ebay

At this point in my life, this whole world can melt the fuck down and I'm just about outa fucks to give, but by all the Gods in Hell, I will not go without coffee

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Kcups are made of soy plastic and it melts when hot water is squeezed through it. Check out a Netspresso machine. They are pretty awesome and the cups are metal. They even give you a recycling bag you can throw in the garbage.
View Quote

I'll be the first to agree that Nespresso makes the best damn pod system out there.

I also wouldn't sell K-cups short. You can buy Green Mountain K-Cups and get a very solid cup of coffee. It's not just about the process it's also about what's in it

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Not a snob, but I prefer a good cup of 100% Kona or some Big Braddah’s from Kauai Coffee Co.
View Quote

It's tough to beat Kona coffee if that's the flavor profile you are into. It's def at the top of my list with Jamaican Blue.

Fun fact, the Japanese do their very best to buy up every last bit of Kona coffee on the market. That's more impressive when you realize Asia as a consumer market has a lot of runway in terms of cups consumed per person
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m stuck on East African coffee; Ethiopian yirgaceffe, longberry, Kenyan AA
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
k cups are just as good.

View Quote

K cups are convenient.

But they are shit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is the best I’ve ever had. Brought a bag back from my honeymoon. Should have brought back a dozen.

It’s damn expensive though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's tough to beat Kona coffee if that's the flavor profile you are into. It's def at the top of my list with Jamaican Blue.

Fun fact, the Japanese do their very best to buy up every last bit of Kona coffee on the market. That's more impressive when you realize Asia as a consumer market has a lot of runway in terms of cups consumed per person
View Quote

I did not know that , but that explains why the store brand 'gourmet' stuff has gone to shit. Their Kona was delicious up until about 3-4 years ago . Then I noticed the fine print saying it was like 15% Kona beans WTF ?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Still a ton to learn, but a long way from the guy who knew no difference between maxwells house and folders and thought they were the best

I still take a large thermos of chock full of nuts brewed in my bunk to work everyday but for drinking at home I’ve been using a French press and whole beans. Grinding here. Weighing the grounds before they go into the French press. Etc.

I’m sure when it gets nice again outside and I’m not inside as much this will end but man good coffee is surely a treat

This is my current favorite bean

What coffee to water ration do you guys use?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349123/F826D215-E0D1-4708-B59E-044227A0EDB7_jpe-1780719.JPG
View Quote

For me its Costa Rican beans or bust
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Coffee snobs are pure and utter trash, they should be added to the official GD hate list, where is it anyway?...I'm sure it's long
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#41]
https://kingbean.com/

Check these guys out, OP. Great coffee, reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I did not know that , but that explains why the store brand 'gourmet' stuff has gone to shit. Their Kona was delicious up until about 3-4 years ago . Then I noticed the fine print saying it was like 15% Kona beans WTF ?
View Quote

Yea with the pricey shit lots of the boutique brands will do that.

Cant tell you how many times someone tells me they bought the civet poop coffee and it turns out to be like a 10% mix with some shit grade beans thrown in.

Another fun fact, I've also had tea which was grown in Panda poop . . . . . Supposedly lol
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Coffee snobs are pure and utter trash, they should be added to the official GD hate list, where is it anyway?...I'm sure it's long
View Quote

Meh, I like good coffee and good scotch. Sue me
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#44]
https://ironbeancoffee.com/
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
https://kingbean.com/

Check these guys out, OP. Great coffee, reasonable prices.
View Quote

@Troutman84

Thank you, I certainly will

What coffee to water ratio  do you use when making your coffee?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

@Troutman84

Thank you, I certainly will

What coffee to water ratio  do you use when making your coffee?
View Quote

I love good coffee, but im not that scientific.

I fill up the pot, pour the water in the machine, and eyeball the amount of coffee in the filter until it looks about right.

I’ve also got a french press, but I’m lazy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
k cups are just as good.

View Quote

Nothing resembling a good cup of coffee has come out of a Keurig, ever.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Central American beans are currently the 'belle of the ball.' If you prefer a thicker body on your tongue, Yemeni and Ethiopian Beans are to be tried. For a lighter taste, the 'island beans' are softer.

Chris
View Quote

Currently my favorite for sure.
I roast and of course grind my own beans so I have the freshest roast coffee I can get.
I'm getting my green beans from Coffee Bean Corral and Ethiopian Yirgacheffe is what I'm really liking these days.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I like the Ethiopian and Peruvian  beans.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Since I’ve gotten into espresso, I’ll never go back.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top