Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2018 6:33:50 PM EDT
I live on a dead end county road in a sub division. Last month while i was at work some dude dropped by and asked if my travel trailer was for rent. Family member that was home told the dude that we weren't interested in renting out or selling it. Yesterday i was off and heard a truck pull up then go around to my front door parking in my neighbors driveway. 3 Mexicans hopped out and walked up to my front gate asking if the same trailer was for sale. Told them no as i will sell it when i'm ready.

Trailer theft has happened in this region before so it wouldn't surprise me. Someone is always at my house as our schedules overlap. I also keep the slideouts out and keep the doors locked as well keep the shore power cord stored way. I figure those 3 things should at  the very least deter theft. I'm also looking into some type of tongue lock.

Should i pepper my angus?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd take the wheels off next.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#2]
alarm that bitch simplisafe
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Park something in front of the hitch
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#4]
You should have a bunch of NO TRESPASSING SIGNS (in Both Languages) well before they can walk or drive onto your property.

A Big Dog would also be a great idea!

Take off the Wheels, lock up the tongue, Beef up your watch for Thieves and keep a gun ready just in case.

You should have a bright light on each serious self-defense gun, as the Scumbags come out mostly at night.   mostly...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Rooms to let, fifty cents?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#6]
This is what you seek

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#7]
You don’t keep the hitch locked?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't seen the local gypsies since I sold my trailer. I put up cameras after the 3rd visit.
I was pissed at how obnoxious they were......at least the wife and kid finally stopped opening
the damn door every time someone knocked.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should have a bunch of NO TRESPASSING SIGNS (in Both Languages) well before they can walk or drive onto your property.

A Big Dog would also be a great idea!

Take off the Wheels, lock up the tongue, Beef up your watch for Thieves and keep a gun ready just in case.

You should have a bright light on each serious self-defense gun, as the Scumbags come out mostly at night.   mostly...

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote
Definitely need to put the signs up. Out here we are pretty close knit neighborhood. The only people that stopped by were neighbors. Just odd now that i have had two instances of random people stopping by when there are no sale signs. For home defense i have two dogs. Smaller breed unfortunately. However they will raise absolute hell if someone walked up. Also have a 870 tac and a pistol loaded and at the ready.

I have been contemplating just selling the trailer as i don't use it that much. Bank owns the title on so i would have to sell it for what's owned on it. Originally bought it for extended stays at jobs sites but i haven't had to do that in awhile.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it fully insured? Just take out anything of value and let them take it. They get your old beatoff airstream and you get a new trailer. win win.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy a cable and a large padlock and lock the tires together or put the cable through the rim and around the axle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Buy a cable and a large padlock and lock the tires together or put the cable through the rim and around the axle.
View Quote
Not a bad idea. Seems more secure than some of the hitch locks out there.  Unless i wanted to spend some real $$$ most of them look like they can be cut with a harbor freight bolt cutter on special.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Is the trailer for sale?  No,  the roof leaked and it has a horrible mold investigation, that and the rotted out floors it’s just not worth selling.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#15]
If you ran a electric fence it the trailer the tires shown insulate it right?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Even small dogs can be helpful if they let off a racket when someone is sneaking around...

Get a light on your 870 pronto...

You don't have to spend big.   Streamlight makes a ring mount for the 870 that fits under the magazine cap or extension.

It has a picatinny / pistol type rail so you can clip on a light or take it off just as quick.

https://www.primaryarms.com/streamlight-rem-870-rail-for-tlr-series-stl69906

Three things make a true "Thief's Nightmare".

(1) Dogs give away he is there

(2) Light shows exactly where

(3) Shotgun sends him 'elsewhere'...  
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#17]
hey PM me, I'm looking to buy a trailer and live in Tx. also I will sleep in it armed to the teeth, if that helps.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Rig a trip wire to drop the small block Chevy engine hanging from the tree in your front yard on them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Take the wheels off, they're not going to bring their own just to steal your trailer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Wonder if Google Street View updated and now you can see the trailer on there?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Even small dogs can be helpful if they let off a racket when someone is sneaking around...

Get a light on your 870 pronto...

You don't have to spend big.   Streamlight makes a ring mount for the 870 that fits under the magazine cap or extension.

It has a picatinny / pistol type rail so you can clip on a light or take it off just as quick.

https://www.primaryarms.com/streamlight-rem-870-rail-for-tlr-series-stl69906

Three things make a true "Thief's Nightmare".

(1) Dogs give away he is there

(2) Light shows exactly where

(3) Shotgun sends him 'elsewhere'...  
View Quote
Why go to such expenses? I had a light duct taped to my ak for awhile.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Check craigslist and see if someone's put an ad up for your place.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I put two of these on my cargo trailer after there were a couple trailers stolen around me.  Southeast Texas.

Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Check craigslist and see if someone's put an ad up for your place.
View Quote
Just did. No results. Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Any cable and most locks can be cut with a battery grinder and cut off wheel in seconds.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#26]
These are all terrible ideas.
Run the slide outs in and make sure the tires are aired up. Put about 15 newspapers in your drive way.
Stop mowing your grass and stay in the camper 24/7.
When you notice the camper rolling, this is when the fun starts.....
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#27]
OP, it could be yhat these people have relatives in the area and they are looking for a place close by..

At least thats what they should be telling you.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Rooms to let, fifty cents?
View Quote
Saw what you did there, Roger!
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Check this out. I am currently using one for my ATC trailer.

Proven Industries
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Check this out. I am currently using one for my ATC trailer.

Proven Industries
View Quote
Pretty nice but pretty expensive as well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#31]
You can only slow down someone trying to steal your trailer.

I put my tongue on the ground, use a ball lock like posted above, put a padlock through the hitch latch. There is a power disconnect in the locked storage compartment that also turns off power to the tongue jack.

When I go hunting on conservation land ( there’s no one out there during archery season and I’m gone most of the day) I also run my large generator lock/ cable through two wheels.

I have a camera system on the trailer also.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Why not set the trailer up to look vacated.

Set up a Snipershide in the vicinity and wait for the thieves to return.

Castle doctrine their asses.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Definitely need to put the signs up. Out here we are pretty close knit neighborhood. The only people that stopped by were neighbors. Just odd now that i have had two instances of random people stopping by when there are no sale signs. For home defense i have two dogs. Smaller breed unfortunately. However they will raise absolute hell if someone walked up. Also have a 870 tac and a pistol loaded and at the ready.

I have been contemplating just selling the trailer as i don't use it that much. Bank owns the title on so i would have to sell it for what's owned on it. Originally bought it for extended stays at jobs sites but i haven't had to do that in awhile.
View Quote
Check for sale sites, someone may be trying to sell it for you.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#34]
this

and this

and a dog
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'd take the wheels off next.
View Quote
and for heavens sake, lock the tongue
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Lock the house & live in the trailer - nobody would expect that...
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Lock the house & live in the trailer - nobody would expect that...
View Quote
Lol. The trailer is nice enough for it but I need to hook it up to sewer and water. Not to mention I need to get a new mattress for it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#38]
This is what I use on my trailers.   And then I run a cable and lock through the wheels as well.   So they would have to defeat 2 locks to drive off with it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#39]
A caravan, for me ma.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top