Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/30/2020 4:49:04 PM EDT
I picked up a DJI Mavic Air 2 over the weekend after a buddy brought one of his when he came by. I was so impressed with his, I was ready to drop the coin on the spot.

This is what it looks like. About the size of a plastic binder you had in school.

The specs on it are
- 48mp camera
- shoots 4k60fps, 4k30fps HDR, 1080p240fps
- can fly ~42mph
- altitude is limited more by local/FAA regs than the drones ability, but I’ve flown it to 400ft very easily
- theoretical range of 6+ miles (less in the city, due to WiFi and such)
- 30+ minute run time
- ability to track and follow objects up to max speed

Here’s a video I made with it today. I was by myself today, so trying to drive the truck, adjust the tracking settings, and make it move to different sides resulted in a less than smooth video, but you get the idea.

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Brought myself the mavic air 2 in may, amazing bit of kit.
I use it as a beater at the farm to scare the crows and pigeons from the far end of the field ( saves me walking a mile )
That way as they fly towards me i use the 12 bore
The dji forum is worth a look and always update your drone.
I havnt tried the follow me mode yet
Atb
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got mine a couple weeks ago. Love it!
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#3]
That's pretty awesome....north of Ft Worth OP?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I shouldn't have clicked this thread.  I've been thinking of getting another quad copter and might just pick up something like this.  I thought about building but I have too many r/c build projects going already.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's pretty awesome....north of Ft Worth OP?
View Quote

Yes

Quoted:
I shouldn't have clicked this thread.  I've been thinking of getting another quad copter and might just pick up something like this.  I thought about building but I have too many r/c build projects going already.
View Quote

Best Buy is running a promo of 24mo interest free on anything over $999 with their Best Buy card.  I was going to just buy it outright but it's hard to say no to two years of no interest.  I'd also recommend getting the "fly more" package, as it comes with a lot of stuff to make the experience better.  3 batteries gives you a ton of fun.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Good choice. I have the older pro version and crashed it only once from 70 feet dropping straight down into very soft bushes
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Being a poor,I bought a $69 one of Amazon.
Flew it today, actually took pretty good pics, better than I expected.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Enjoy!

The parts for my next FPV build just came yesterday. Building a 3" cinewhoop. Unfortunately, not building today because my GoPro I need to create a time lapse of the build process is otherwise occupied (3D printing time lapse).

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm waiting on my Skydio S2.

My first drone is a Ruko F11
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#10]
My brother gave me his barely-used Phantom 3 Pro about a year ago.

I've never flown it
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the Mavic 2 Pro and love it I just wish it would stop raining so I can fly it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I've owned the Mavic for a couple of years and it's awesome.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a phantom 4 for free a few months ago.

It’s pretty cool. Haven’t flown it awhile tho.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My brother gave me his barely-used Phantom 3 Pro about a year ago.

I've never flown it
View Quote

Quoted:
I got a phantom 4 for free a few months ago.

It’s pretty cool. Haven’t flown it awhile tho.
View Quote

Guys got free drones and they're not using them
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Pretty cool.  Says something about how good the software is if you can whip up a first video at that level of quality.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Mavic 2 pro and dronebase pilot. Sometimes I get paid to fly it.  I’m a part 107 pilot if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#18]
@SuburbanDrone

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mavic 2 pro and dronebase pilot. Sometimes I get paid to fly it.  I’m a part 107 pilot if you have any questions.
View Quote

Whats a good guide for the 107 I want to get it by Oct.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Was waiting for the Kamala ordered Hellfire missile strike on a domestic terrorist.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Smooth tracking OP!  Wish my Mavic Mini had that feature.  Passed my Part 107/Remote Pilot exam a couple weeks ago and finishing a degree in Unmanned Systems in Oct.  There are so many potential unmanned applications out there!
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#21]
That will come in handy during the Civil war
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Smooth tracking OP!  Wish my Mavic Mini had that feature.  Passed my Part 107/Remote Pilot exam a couple weeks ago and finishing a degree in Unmanned Systems in Oct.  There are so many potential unmanned applications out there!
View Quote
Are you Napoleon Tannerite?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought a Mini late last year to learn to fly. Now I want a bigger and better one but I barely use this one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I have been wanting to get one but $1000 is alittle more than i am looking to spend. Anyone have input on a budget friendly drone? $200-$400 range maybe?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have been wanting to get one but $1000 is alittle more than i am looking to spend. Anyone have input on a budget friendly drone? $200-$400 range maybe?
View Quote

I think you'd be disappointed with anything in the $200-400 range.

Here are some pictures from 400ft.

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Are you Napoleon Tannerite?
View Quote

Thanks for the GD style welcome but no.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/BgXNleR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UOJzgsy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ygr5Rcv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ergdE5r.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/BgXNleR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UOJzgsy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ygr5Rcv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ergdE5r.jpg

You better be careful if that thing gets any closer to my house!
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which one's yours?

LOL, come home a few beers in and wind up spending half the night finding MY house!
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Which one's yours?

LOL, come home a few beers in and wind up spending half the night finding MY house!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which one's yours?

I'm glad there is a "return to home" function on these things, because sometimes I can't even find my own way back home.  Seeing where you live from these vantage points is a bit weird at first.  Things you thought were far away seem much closer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
everybodys cell should have at least 1 poor mans isr asset

preferably home built n not dji
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I love mine,, but I still have a lot to learn.  Unfortunately its been to hot here to fly lately. Mav 2
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the first drone I bought

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07VCD1SRL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_OcdtFbBTN7V81

Works extremely well, has auto lift off and auto landing and the camera is very good. Does follow me, relatively fast and great battery life. No object avoidance,but you're not going to find that much below 1 grand. Also has return to home and return to home if battery low.

It beats the crap out of anything you'll buy at Walmart. Comes with 2 batteries, 30 minute flight time each(I'm finding 26-28 minutes). Also has controller and extra props(full set). Can use you phone with app.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

DJI sells little boxes to guberments (including our state and local ones) that can take control of their drones.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

mav mini 100% in that budget
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a new gopro,  seems I can save a lot by buying one that doesn't have a camera,  but can mount one.   What is a good one like that?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Honestly save your money and just watch Tony Northrop’s (I think that’s his name guide on YouTube. The part 107 test is SUPER easy.

FREE Drone Certification Study Guide: FAA Part 107 sUAS Test
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Enjoy!

The parts for my next FPV build just came yesterday. Building a 3" cinewhoop. Unfortunately, not building today because my GoPro I need to create a time lapse of the build process is otherwise occupied (3D printing time lapse).

https://i.postimg.cc/N0wFVhbQ/20200830-172049.jpg
View Quote

Your doing a build thread I hope.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#39]
was doing aerial mapping earlier this year.  Need more batteries...  Covid made batteries hard to find/expensive.  The only reasonable priced ones I found would not ship to me.

Honestly I have hardly "flown" mine.  Almost all the flights have been waypoint missions - fully automatic.  Most of the "flying" was hand launching and hand landing.

If 1k is too much, don't look at phantoms then.  I got my Mavic 2 as a refurb.  I almost got a Phantom instead, but glad I did not as I did not realize there was a v2 of the Phantom 4.  The v2 was almost 2x the Mavic Pro 2.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
was doing aerial mapping earlier this year.  Need more batteries...  Covid made batteries hard to find/expensive.  The only reasonable priced ones I found would not ship to me.

Honestly I have hardly "flown" mine.  Almost all the flights have been waypoint missions - fully automatic.  Most of the "flying" was hand launching and hand landing.

If 1k is too much, don't look at phantoms then.  I got my Mavic 2 as a refurb.  I almost got a Phantom instead, but glad I did not as I did not realize there was a v2 of the Phantom 4.  The v2 was almost 2x the Mavic Pro 2.
View Quote

I haven't started messing with waypoint flying.  Can it be done on the DJI app?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Honestly save your money and just watch Tony Northrop’s (I think that’s his name guide on YouTube. The part 107 test is SUPER easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_ucCKFJUCU
View Quote

I've watched that video a few times.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I flew RC helicopters for a while and learned that the severity of the crash was directly proportional to the balance of your credit card. Made me a little gun shy to fly anymore.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Matt Carriker was advertising the Mavick Mini in one of his videos for $399, I think
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I flew RC helicopters for a while and learned that the severity of the crash was directly proportional to the balance of your credit card. Made me a little gun shy to fly anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, I think the inverse is true for drones.  The more expensive ones have lots of sensors to avoid collisions and crashes.  It can still happen, especially if you're in a "sport mode" that disables some of the sensors, but you're not going to crash the shit out of it as easy as you would an RC helicopter.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#46]
I finally got my SKYDIO 2.   Its my first real drone and it's amazing.  Super easy to fly and it will follow you - from any perspective, distance and height you want.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#47]
I love mine.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm waiting on my Skydio S2.

My first drone is a Ruko F11
View Quote

Quoted:
I finally got my SKYDIO 2.   Its my first real drone and it's amazing.  Super easy to fly and it will follow you - from any perspective, distance and height you want.
View Quote

Mine came in last week, I’ve been playing with it this weekend.  So far so good.  

It’s my first drone so I’m not qualified to critique it.  However, no real issues so far.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Took this video earlier.  The part where it stops and is a little jerk is what happens when signal gets too weak.  If you lose it entirely, it'll automatically start returning to home until you pick up signal again.

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
everybodys cell should have at least 1 poor mans isr asset

preferably home built n not dji
View Quote

Why not dji?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top