BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2023 8:59:38 PM EDT
Motors, girders, nuts, bolts, levers, pullies

Your Lincoln logs are no match.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Best toy ever.

Dad dug his 1950s set out of his parent’s attic to expand my 1980s set. Mine had motors with wired controllers for reversing. You could make skid-steer vehicles and such. His had geared AC motors with open 3 speed transmission. First thing I did as a 5yr old was stick a finger into that open transmission [img]/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif[/img. Lesson learned. Poor kids these days with their legos and Minecraft don’t stand a chance. We had permanent scars by 1st grade and wisdom to go with them.

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best toy ever.

Dad dug his 1950s set out of his parent’s attic to expand my 1980s set. Mine had motors with wired controllers for reversing. You could make skid-steer vehicles and such. His had geared AC motors with open 3 speed transmission. First thing I did as a 5yr old was stick a finger into that open transmission [url]/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif[/img. Lesson learned. Poor kids these days with their legos and Minecraft don’t stand a chance. We had permanent scars by 1st grade and wisdom to go with them.

View Quote

Me 8 years old. Motors are cool!  If I take this lamp cord, cut it and plug into outlet that’s more powers than these weak batteries!

Only did that once.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Me 8 years old. Motors are cool!  If I take this lamp cord, cut it and plug into outlet that’s more powers than these weak batteries!

Only did that once.
View Quote

LOL I did that too!
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Never had one of those either... no good could have come of that...
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]
'What's wrong with an Etch-a-Sketch, boy? Why not start her off with a nice ragged line? You don't need to go leaping for a slide rule like a bull at a gate!"

John Cleese, kind of.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#6]
T'was great fun, but I started losing nuts and bolts...
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I really enjoyed Girder & Panel as well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I really enjoyed Girder & Panel as well.
View Quote

I wore that thing out when I was a kid .
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I wore that thing out when I was a kid .
View Quote

I actually inherited (from a friend of my father) a TON of really cool vintage toys when I was a kid in the early 90s. I got about a dozen Erector sets, Girder and Panel sets, and about 2 dozen space sets from Lego back in their original space run, which I think was mid to late 70s? All my friends thought it was old garbage but I loved it. I regret giving it all away when I got a little older. Especially the Legos. Those were some really cool sets, back when bricks were still fairly rudimentary and designers had to get creative vs just molding a new custom piece like they do today.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I had the '90s iteration as well as the similar-in-idea Lego Technics. The Lego Technic helicopter was my favorite.

Added a battery-powered motor(from another Technic set) and, of course, I turned it into a gunship with gear-driven rotary cannons.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#11]
This was my jam!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#12]

I should make an erector set app for the smart phone.

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I had legos and erector sets.

I built what was basically a M11 from legos, rubber band powered mag and rubber band closed bolt. It did not shoot anything but I even went as far as trying to use rocket nozzles and slopped blocks to be an extractor groove and extractor. It did not work very well.

Now with my erector set I did make a rubber band powered cross bow that had a crank to cock it. That worked ok until I did too many rubber bands, bent it in half. I also made a trebuchet with a weight, it did not work very well but did work. Then I tried using rubber bands, again that worked ok until I used too many rubber bands. Also bent that in half.

I also built a rubber band shooter using gears from something and the erector set. Load rubber bands on to the gear and restrict the gear from turning with another gear and crank. Could let them go one or two at once or go full auto by letting the crank go.

And my parents are not surprised I am in to guns, I wonder why.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I never could build a functional roller coaster. That was my last attempt with Erector.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#15]
In the early 70s I had an erector set and built a robot. Little motor , and gears came in my set.

Was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
T'was great fun, but I started losing nuts and bolts...
View Quote

Yep right down in the green shag carpet. Like BBs. Don't worry, mom will find them when she vacuums. Hahaha lol.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I learned a couple months back you can still buy erector set parts at lowes.  On the nut and bolt row, in the pull out drawers, they have a bunch of the stuff that came in erector set kits.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I built what was basically a M11 from legos, rubber band powered mag and rubber band closed bolt. It did not shoot anything but I even went as far as trying to use rocket nozzles and slopped blocks to be an extractor groove and extractor. It did not work very well.

Now with my erector set I did make a rubber band powered cross bow that had a crank to cock it. That worked ok until I did too many rubber bands, bent it in half. I also made a trebuchet with a weight, it did not work very well but did work. Then I tried using rubber bands, again that worked ok until I used too many rubber bands. Also bent that in half.

I also built a rubber band shooter using gears from something and the erector set. Load rubber bands on to the gear and restrict the gear from turning with another gear and crank. Could let them go one or two at once or go full auto by letting the crank go.

View Quote

I did the same with k'nex, the little pieces, hooked to the right rubber band, would cause damage. Pretty accurate too.

Also did the stripped wire to add extra power to some motors and burnt a hole through the carpet
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#19]
We had a giant erector set growing up, not sure what it was called...you could make a small car you could sit in.

I also had Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, small Erector sets and other mechanical stuff.

I was taking door locks apart and fixing them when I was four years old,  so my dad says.

My career: Mechanical Engineer  , now retired
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

A little bit of pvc, an erector set, some model rocket engine igniters and one could make a hand held bottle rocket launcher.

If one were 12 years old and if one were so inclined. So I’ve heard. From a friend. In Minecraft.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh, the cuts I got from my Erector Set. My father finally got sick of it and smoothed the metal edges out on the worst offenders.
That, and those horrible square nuts.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I raise you Robotix. Pretty sure I had 3 different sets.

Robotix All Toy Commercials

Got this one almost new in the box at a yard sale as a kid.

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I still have most of my Erector set. Still one of my favorite toys along with the Radio Shack 100-in-1 electronic kits.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A little bit of pvc, an erector set, some model rocket engine igniters and one could make a hand held bottle rocket launcher.

If one were 12 years old and if one were so inclined. So I’ve heard. From a friend. In Minecraft.
View Quote

Umm, a small copper pipe with caps, a bunch of match heads, a 22 ramset shot with a nail firing pin and an estes rocket. Lets just say the county had to fill some holes in the parks baseball field grass.

Later found out co2 cartridges in the rear of an estes rocket with a large enough nail in a drop tube was pretty close to a mortar.  In mine craft
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Also thought Capsela was cool.

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#26]
... I raise erector set

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#27]
I'll bomb the shit out of your erector set with my Vertibird

Vertibird Commercial - 1973 - USA Air Police play set version
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#28]
This is the one I remember as a kid

Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#30]
In for pics of erections!
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Motors, girders, nuts, bolts, levers, pullies

Your Lincoln logs are no match.
View Quote
Please... nobody uses an erector set to make a home. Lincoln logs stomp the guts out of every other creative toy out there except legos.

You can build everything using legos.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Also thought Capsela was cool.

https://i.imgur.com/rHkltLD.jpg
View Quote
Had one of those. I built watercraft with them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Only erector set I ever got, I was born'd with.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

That's the exact set I had! Loved it. And I also loved the "Visible V8"

Link Posted: 6/11/2023 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'll bomb the shit out of your erector set with my Vertibird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSQQo5S5yd0
View Quote
Awesome had that also and the Visible V-8 and the Visible Rotary engine kit's. Kids today truly are missing the value of hands on learning/play.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Awesome had that also and the Visible V-8 and the Visible Rotary engine kit's. Kids today truly are missing the value of hands on learning/play.
View Quote
Yes the latest generation might know how to finger fuck their cell phone but are mostly clueless about anything mechanical.
See how many can't change a tire or change their own cars oil and filter.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yes the latest generation might know how to finger fuck their cell phone but are mostly clueless about anything mechanical.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Derailing my own thread. There are dexterity tests to work on an assembly line. Good money.

The kids coming in don’t have the dexterity to screw a nut on a bolt. Not kidding. It’s a real problem.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Spirograph, Etch a Sketch, Speak n Spell, Light Bright, Erector Set, Lincoln Logs, Legos.  My favorite was Construx though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 11:58:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm not smart enough to play with those but I'll take a Whee-Lo all day long
Whee-Lo by Tarco - "The ORIGINAL Fidget Spinner!" (Commercial, 1978)

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had that rotary wankel

And that radio shack 100 in 1 electronic set.

Damn, the memories.

I'll post a pic of something that actually survived tomorrow
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top