BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/14/2022 9:38:24 PM EDT
Promag.

Screw them.

Followers stuck, misfeeds, mags won't seat, incorrect packaging/wrong products in packaging, Promag's customer service won't respond.

I can't believe people still buy Promag to save a couple bucks.

I have to do some programming to de-list them. Which is why I've held out for this long. But going to get to it this week.

But I'm done with return labels, extra phone calls/emails, full refunds that add up to 6% + initial shipping/return shipping for nothing.

/rant
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I say it frequently:  Everyone should have 1 or 2 Pro-mags for their guns.  They are very reliable at causing malfunctions.  You want to get good at clearing double feeds, fail to feed, or "How the Hell did it do that" feeds, use a Pro-mag when at the range.  That's been my experience with them anyway.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I say it frequently:  Everyone should have 1 or 2 Pro-mags for their guns.  They are very reliable at causing malfunctions.  You want to get good at clearing double feeds, fail to feed, or "How the Hell did it do that" feeds, use a Pro-mag when at the range.  That's been my experience with them anyway.
View Quote
Have 2 that are taped accordingly. Good 1st reply.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Hasn't this been known for many years? How do they stay in business?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Please Remember Our Magazines Are Garbage.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nailed it
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
A wise man once told me: "Buy good stuff and you'll have good stuff. Buy cheap s*$t and you'll have cheap s*&t"
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I own three different Promags for three different guns, all have been solidly reliable. Not a single hiccup.

That said, I bought them when I was younger and didn't internet forum. I know a half dozen folks personally that have other promags and have all been very unreliable, to the point that most of them got permanently replaced.
I think I'll call the three I have unicorns.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I blame you, the retailer, for selling them knowing they suck. You will receive some reproach for finally removing them from your shelves.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I blame you, the retailer, for selling them knowing they suck. You will receive some reproach for finally removing them from your shelves.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#10]
With one exception, I have avoided Promag mags.

That one exception has been 100% reliable.

Even stranger, it is an extended mag, which in my experience are usually less reliable.

I guess I should have bought a lottery ticket that day.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Is this a drop shipping site and you are just selling based on a data feed from a supplier?  or something like that?  Just curious and trying to figure out why it would take programming to stop selling a product.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Please Remember Our Magazines Are Garbage.
View Quote
I been here a long time, kinda surprised it's the first time I've heard that one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Promag's google reviews

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#15]
They should just rebrand as a training tool. You know people would buy it
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

People like op keep selling there crap?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

People like op keep selling there crap?
View Quote

At some point in time weren't they in competition with Ramline jamline?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree.... It's only 'common sense' that we demand that a retailer protect stupid consumers from making poor decisions
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Never understood how they stayed in business.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because they're cheaper and 99% of gun owners do not frequent firearms boards.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I may still have one or two in a box somewhere that I kept specifically for that purpose; I hit them with a bit of orange spray paint so that I could easily tell which ones they were, not that it's not obvious when you handle them, but I wanted to make darn sure they never ended up anywhere other than the training bag.  You'd think as long as they've been around they'd be able to figure out how to get at least a single stack mag to work but you'd be wrong.    Heck, they ought to at least make Mec-Gar an offer to buy their old worn our machines, they'd still be better than whatever equipment they're using now.  

I think USA is probably worse (I've gotten a few over the years trading and such and always toss them straight in the trash) and Triple K apparently has issues as well.  

Ironically, Promag's Archangel stock always seems to get good reviews for a budget stock.  I can't recall ever having handled one though.

ETA, Sadly I think they're the only ones making magazines for the Sig P225/P6 right now.  Someone I know was looking for magazines for his gun and factory mags have gotten crazy expensive.  No idea whether he ended up buying a Promag to try or not.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I've never owned one, but I have a pro mag in my cart at midway.  They are the only company that makes a 20 round AK74 mag and I am contemplating purchasing just to see if I can make it work.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Because they're cheaper and 99% of gun owners do not frequent gun ranges.
View Quote

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Some of the best Saiga 12 mags I've every owned were promag.

Won't trust them for much anything else though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Promag.

Screw them.

Followers stuck, misfeeds, mags won't seat, incorrect packaging/wrong products in packaging, Promag's customer service won't respond.

I can't believe people still buy Promag to save a couple bucks.

I have to do some programming to de-list them. Which is why I've held out for this long. But going to get to it this week.

But I'm done with return labels, extra phone calls/emails, full refunds that add up to 6% + initial shipping/return shipping for nothing.

/rant
View Quote

So why even stock their tier 9 products in the first place???? Anyone with any training and experience knows to steer clear.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I have two Promag P226 mags that I got from a retired LEO. I was buying some OEM P226 mags and he threw them in cheap. He said he used them for range mags only but they never failed him. They never failed in my old West German P226 either. They almost always fail in my newer P226s.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#28]
How did I know it was Promag?

Those lying bastards still have the forend and VFG from my Winchester 1300 which I sent them for inspection after fitting issues.

Apparently it's too difficult to send a customer his goods.  Then the parts supposedly were on the other side of the building where the customer service people are not allowed to go.

Eventually I gave up.

Fuck Promag and their lying bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#29]
promags for the hk33 are better than hk mags. Other than that, every promag i've ever seen in a customers gun sucks. Like really really bad. I dont know how they stay in business bad. Kinda like taurus polymer frame pistols. dont know how they keep selling year after year.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm pretty sure I've known that Promags were shit since the 90s
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Never bought Promag anything, guess I've been spared.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I’m amazed that company is still in business.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Nailed it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed it

ya! go lazy, give folks  the chiooce , dont allow returns, sell as FPNI says, for failure training drills... easy peasy everyone wins!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because people like OP stock and sell their products.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry you didnt make enough money selling garbage i guess
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#36]
That second one down was an "all in" employee, on the pot, after a sales meeting where his boss told him, "we need to offset these bad reviews with good ones."
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#37]
What amazes me is that they seem to have got it right on their HK 33 mags. From all accounts they work well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Please
Remember
Our
Magazines
Are
Garbage
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Never understood how they stayed in business.
View Quote

They are better than Triple K and USA though . Which was good enough during the AWB , and allowed them to hang on
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is this a drop shipping site and you are just selling based on a data feed from a supplier?  or something like that?  Just curious and trying to figure out why it would take programming to stop selling a product.
View Quote

That is correct. I do stock a lot of hot/fast selling items. But I order everyone's items, ship it from distributor to me, then ship to customer. That takes 1 business day since I'm 1 city away from the distributor.

Also, I drop ship heavy stuff.

We get data sheets such as inventory, product name, mfg, etc., so we sell over 400 manufacturer's products. I've never had to drop a company until people promag sales went up this past year for some reason.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#41]
I bought a few Promags before I knew better.

Now I know better.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:15:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I agree.... It's only 'common sense' that we demand that a retailer protect stupid consumers from making poor decisions
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No but as a guy who's owned a retail store for 22 years I don't sell shit because of what the OP has experienced and I value my reputation.  

Some customers who buy shit products from you will send it back forcing you to go through the hoops of refunding them, paying for return shipping, filing a warranty with the manufacturer, paying for shipping to the manufacturer, then waiting 30-90 days for the manufacturer to maybe credit your account or (worse) send you new identical product that is just as bad.  On low dollar items like mags the retailer is better off to just refund the money and tell the customer to keep the junk mag.

Even more expensive are the customers that just eat it.  If you're lucky all they do is just not buy from you again.  Even worse than losing a customer is losing a customer who goes online telling everyone how the shit you sell sucks and you suck too for selling it.  Those are the really expensive customers.

I figured out real quick that selling shit with a high reject rate was far more expensive than just letting the customer shop somewhere else if they insisted on buying the cheapest shit they could find.  Those guys will come to me after they get burned by the cheap retailer and be far happier with my stuff that doesn't break.  

That's a lesson it sounds like it took OP a while to learn but at least he finally figured it out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:19:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Promag makes a S&W 4506 mag. OEM ones have been discontinued for years and are very expensive. The Promag ones have been flawless as range mags so far, but I haven’t put enough rounds through them to trust them for more than that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:24:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That is correct. I do stock a lot of hot/fast selling items. But I order everyone's items, ship it from distributor to me, then ship to customer. That takes 1 business day since I'm 1 city away from the distributor.

We get data sheets such as inventory, product name, mfg, etc., so we sell over 400 manufacturer's products. I've never had to drop a company until people promag sales went up this past year for some reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, thats a bit different than I expected.  I've thought about setting up a site like that before, just never got around to it (and realistically probably never will).
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:29:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ironically, Promag's Archangel stock always seems to get good reviews for a budget stock.  I can't recall ever having handled one though.
View Quote

Maybe their bolt action stocks were better but the Ruger 10/22 stock I saw at an class I taught at was horrible.  The fit was so loose that the receiver would slip side to side at the rear as the shooter pulled the trigger.  Their shots were all over the place and it took us a while to figure it out.  I ended up "bedding" it by pulling the receiver out and then reinserting it with folded up paper towel wedged between the receiver and stock walls to take up the play.  That fixed it but damn was that a pathetic fit.

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I may still have one or two in a box somewhere that I kept specifically for that purpose; I hit them with a bit of orange spray paint so that I could easily tell which ones they were, not that it's not obvious when you handle them, but I wanted to make darn sure they never ended up anywhere other than the training bag.  You'd think as long as they've been around they'd be able to figure out how to get at least a single stack mag to work but you'd be wrong.    Heck, they ought to at least make Mec-Gar an offer to buy their old worn our machines, they'd still be better than whatever equipment they're using now.  

I think USA is probably worse (I've gotten a few over the years trading and such and always toss them straight in the trash) and Triple K apparently has issues as well.  

ETA, Sadly I think they're the only ones making magazines for the Sig P225/P6 right now.  Someone I know was looking for magazines for his gun and factory mags have gotten crazy expensive.  No idea whether he ended up buying a Promag to try or not.
View Quote

The p6 mags are solid. I have run a set of five of them for over a decade with out problems. I think it might be the only good mag they make.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:37:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Long ago I bought some Promag 5.56 AK mags for my Saigs. . Went into it knowing that they would be crap, I just wanted to test them and see because they were dirt cheap. I had nicer surplus Polish mags, but figured if the Promags worked reliably they would become range mags.

With one of the mags seated in the rifle I slapped the front of the mag intentionally. The plastic front tab broke off and the mag fell to the floor.

That was the end of that.

Unfortunately there are many gun shops and big sporting goods stores where you go to look at mags and, you guessed it, there's a wall of shitty Promag products in blister packs.

They must work some kind of deal to get their trash on the shelves.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:38:08 AM EDT
[#48]
I own only one ProMag magazine, and it has been a hundred percent reliable.  It is for a Marlin 795, and it was bought when no one else was making aftermarket mags for it, and the only other game in town was stock Marlin 10 round magazines.  It is a 25 round extended mag.  When I saw it for sale at Academy, I just had to give it a try, notwithstanding all the bad things I heard about Pro Mag magazines.  I would buy another, even if I risked getting a bad one.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:40:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm pretty sure their market is people that never actually shoot, which is sizable.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:46:10 AM EDT
[#50]
I have several Promag 10rnd Ruger LCP magazines, and they have all been 100% reliable.

EVERY other Promag I’ve ever used was junk.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top