Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2020 6:42:52 PM EDT
I've posted before on some of the 'fun' that has gone on in my lodge. (members demitting after we raised our first black Mason)

Well they really did it this time. While we were shut down for the whole stupid covid thing, the secretary (a past master) conspired with a neighboring lodge, and the district deputy to consolidate our lodge with the neighboring lodge, WITHOUT EVEN CONSULTING OR NOTIFYING me, the Master of the lodge.

Our lodge isn't suffering for economic reasons, nor members, just solely attendance. A a matter of fact our lodge has quite large amount of money in CD's, investments, and the regular checking account.  Along with a separate 'Temple Company' who rents out the lower floor of the buildings to businesses, and has sizable bank accounts of it's own.

There are several small lodges near us who are not so fortunate money wise, and have smaller memberships. They could have benefited greatly with a consolidation with our lodge.

The lodge that they plotted to merge with has gobbled up 3 other local lodges within the past 4 years, aren't hurting for members or money,  and have commented several times in the past how they would like to have our lodge's money (this was before gaining 2 of the 3 mentioned 'gobbled up' lodges).

When we came back from or normal 'dark' period, there were representatives from the 'gobbling' lodge, and our District Deputy in attendance. The Secretary stood up and brought a vote to the floor to consolidate. Now when I mentioned poor attendance, we really only have enough (8) to actually open lodge show up regularly. That night we only had 7 in attendance. When they took the vote, he of course put it as 'for the good of the lodge'  His vote won with 3 Aye's, 2 no's and 2 abstained.

I was so floored that I wasn't aware at all about this, I haven't shown up for any meetings since. I'm really cheesed off about this. The District deputy emailed me and threatened to expel me if I don't show up. I basically told him that out of the 120 members on the books that our lodge has, only 8 show up and it's OK for the rest of them as long as they pay their dues, than it should be OK for me too. Besides if the Secretary can coordinate all of this behind my back, he can go ahead and run the lodge as he sees fit, apparently my "leadership" as a Master means nothing.

So I've missed 3 meetings so far, and have yet been contacted about being 'expelled' but it may be coming soon.

I really enjoyed Freemasonry up until this summer. It's been nice being brothers with you all, but I may be forced out soon.

Sorry to ramble on, but I just needed to vent.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I quit going years ago due to political crap.
I've paid my dues until now.
I need to Demit in case I want to get active again.
Although, at this point, I couldn't imagine wanting to.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're the WM, can't you control what comes to the floor?
View Quote

My thought exactly. Each jurisdiction is different, but can a member abstain from voting/balloting if present?  You can't here.  In Wisconsin if you're there you must vote.

Don't you have a Masonic Code that governs what can and cannot be done, and how?

It's way past time for you to call the Grand Master and have a conversation.  Make that call now.

Unless the Grand Master shows up and fires you, there's an edict that prevents an action, or it's against the code; that Lodge is yours and you control what happens.

When in charge, take charge.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I guarantee that your Grand Lodge has their hand in the pot somehow.  This sort of corruption isn't likely to have started at the Lodge level.  Some purple people eater is looking at a way to get their hand in the till.  

I would take your case to your annual GL meeting and make an absolute ass of yourself on the floor to force the purple aprons to make a change.  If you were in my jurisdiction you would have to literally stand in the middle of the floor and yell at the east.  

In the end though, you can't change the corruption at the top.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're the WM, can't you control what comes to the floor?
View Quote

Exactly! This sounds nuts to me.

What does your SW and JW say?
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Jeez, HOA's, lodges, city councils, etc... If there anything humans don't get bureaucracy involved in?
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#14]
You are the WM, you just cant stop showing up for no good reason short of
a)resigning your chair
and
b)demitting from your Lodge

When is your year up?  Wait till the installation for the next WM is ready and have your demit letter in your pocket, as soon as you are done hand it to the secretary and tell him to stick it up his ass.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Brethren, this is a public forum. Some need to moderate themselves. Several threads contain comments that reflect poorly on the Craft. Many are from the same people across multiple threads.

If you think this counsel is being whispered in your ear, it probably is.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Should have showed up and put the gavel down. It is YOUR lodge and as Master you have the final say. Do you remember your past masters degree?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top