Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2020 3:50:33 PM EDT
I just finished the kit I bought from Vermont Freehand. This was one of their bent plateau kits.

It started out looking like this.

I wanted to do a very organic pipe with an exposed plateau.  I chose this style for a couple of reasons. Number one, I like this style of pipe even though they’re not as fashionable as they once were.  I’m also lazy and this style is easy to do and doesn’t require anywhere near as much skill as the types of pipes done by our resident master craftsman. @DK-Prof  I think my pipe turned out well enough, but his creations are several orders of magnitude more difficult to craft than the freehand style I did.

Here’s the finished product.

And of course, the very last bit of material I removed exposed a flaw in the burl.

This pipe has a very deep bowl. Because I purchased a kit, I was at the mercy of the craftsmen at Vermont Freehand. I’ll give it a smoke this evening and report back.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a really nice piece of wood!  You did a great job!  I really like the look.  Ya'll are gonna make me a pipe smoker rather than a cigar smoker if I keep clicking on these pipe threads.  I guess in arfcom fashion I could do both.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I gave it a smoke this evening. The diameter and the depth of the bowl is very similar to my Vinland Stamme #108 and it smokes much like it.  That’s a good thing because the Stamme is one of my favorite smokes!

Here it is in action.

Here’s the Vinland Stamme for comparison.

Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:21:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I absolutely love the shape.

What did you polish it with?
View Quote
I sanded to 1200, then stained it twice with my Winchester dye and buffed it out with pure Carnauba stick wax.

Thank you for the compliment! It means a lot coming from you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:16:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool!
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice Freehand!

When filling a flaw save up some sawdust from sanding and mix it into some slow setting Cyanoacrylate. Use the mix to fill your flaw. When dry you can sand it down and it should accept the stain and be unnoticeable.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#8]
That looks great.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow! Very nice. So what was the tobacco choice for it's maiden voyage?
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wow! Very nice. So what was the tobacco choice for it's maiden voyage?
View Quote
Molto Dolce
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice Freehand!

When filling a flaw save up some sawdust from sanding and mix it into some slow setting Cyanoacrylate. Use the mix to fill your flaw. When dry you can sand it down and it should accept the stain and be unnoticeable.
View Quote
Thanks! I’ll give that a try next time.  I have some black cyanoacrylate for gun work I almost tried in it but I thought it might draw attention to it.  Never thought about mixing dust with Super Glue, I’ve mixed it with wood glue all of my life.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What did you polish it with?
View Quote
@DK-Prof

This is the carnauba I’m using.

Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#13]
That’s awesome looking, OP
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Picked up another kit at the tobacco shop.

Layout

Bandsaw work

Carving

Sanding and trying to center the bowl

Done

Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice looking pipes!
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I really like the latest one.  Nice looking piece of wood.  You did all the shaping with a dremel after the bandsaw?  Wow.  It would have been all botched up if I tried that.  I think it would have been rusticated.....into the trashcan.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I really like the latest one.  Nice looking piece of wood.  You did all the shaping with a dremel after the bandsaw?  Wow.  It would have been all botched up if I tried that.  I think it would have been rusticated.....into the trashcan.
View Quote
I graduated the WECSOG school of pipemaking!
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
@wlc

Sorry I misunderstood your question at first. I did round the outside half of the bowl on the belt sander.  The inside half and the stem was all shaped with the Dremel with a variety of bits.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice work.

But was it made while listening to Taylor Swift?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top