Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2020 7:35:45 PM EDT
So far my tools are 18v cordless drill with cotton wheels and an angle grinder with an 8" buffing wheel.  I've been using a combination of liquid polish and tripoli bars.  I made some pretty good progress on what would be the "back" of the diamond plate today.  Where there are the raised nubs/bumps, I just can't seem to make much progress, and when I do, it's just not very impressive.  I wind up getting a bunch of polish melted to the metal and it's a nightmare to get off.  

I'm not entirely opposed to spending a little bit of money now that I'm far enough into the project that the cart would look terrible if I quit.  I know I'm not going to get a perfect mirror finish but I would like to make it look good.  

Thank you for any suggestions.

This is the cart in question.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Acid etch it and clear coat.

Stuff will just surface oxide/corrode up quick anyways.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't mind maintaining it with the occasional polish.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your post said it was a PITA to do. And it is.

Etch it and clear coat it. Bare aluminum oxidizes quickly.

If you use the proper aluminum cleaner/etcher and then clear coat it, it will look pretty dang good. Aluminum oxidation is a PITA to clean off, especially when the surface isn't flat.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you use the proper aluminum cleaner/etcher and then clear coat it, it will look pretty dang good. Aluminum oxidation is a PITA to clean off, especially when the surface isn't flat.
View Quote
nailed it
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah.  It is a pain.  Its a 31 year old cart that has been neglected and abused for the last 8 years, at least.  I dont mind putting in some time.  I'm interested to see if there are any better tools for the job.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah.  It is a pain.  Its a 31 year old cart that has been neglected and abused for the last 8 years, at least.  I dont mind putting in some time.  I'm interested to see if there are any better tools for the job.
View Quote

So it's a pain but you don't mind doing it?

I cannot help you because I simply can't comprehend what you're saying.

You got good advice... if you didn't want advice why ask?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out This video from chemical guys.  Sounds like you need different polish.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd try mother's mag polish on a mother's powerball.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is some other stuff that comes across my FB that looks decent.
https://dura-coating.com/collections/polishes-1
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#10]
You'll want to etch it regardless. A mildly etched base will be so much easier to polish. Any good pro wheel bright will etch and make it worlds easier to polish that old stained filthy aluminum.

Edit to say that etching will take all of about ten minutes for that whole cart.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Nvm
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So far my tools are 18v cordless drill with cotton wheels and an angle grinder with an 8" buffing wheel.  
View Quote
You should NEVER polish with an angle GRINDER!!!
The rpm's are way too high; especially for aluminum. You are severely over heating the metal. Buy a cheap POLISHER and use the slowest rpm to polish.
Thank me later....
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I did it with Flitz and their polishing ball on a drill on a truck toolbox once. Wasnt that bad.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

It oxidizes almost instantly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top