Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/5/2022 7:54:40 PM EDT
I enjoy history, and I want a degree. Not that I'm going to do anything with it but I enjoy learning, especially from good books or teacher.

Am I nuts ?

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

Read Wikipedia.

It's less biased and free.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes you are.  If you have the time and $, then go for it.  It will likely be difficult finding a good school that will actually teach history as it really happened though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have the time and money go for it. My mom's friend got her masters at age 65.  After that, she went and got her PhD.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It's your money.

....Or maybe ours if you go on the GI Bill if that's an option.

Actually, we'll probably end up paying fir it either way.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.

Read Wikipedia.

It's less biased and free.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Kinda, yeah. You very well could just buy the history textbooks and save a shit ton of money. Unless you want to take one class taught by a prolific historian, I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#9]
You can learn everything everyone else knows about history, for free on the internet. If you want to spend some money to learn about history, buy some history books.  

The only reason to get a degree is to actually make it do something for you.

I just saved you about $50K.  Signed:  A college graduate.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Do it
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Such bravery and strength!
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Hillsdale has a lot of their courses video recorded and posted on their website for free.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#13]
You ever farm? Weld? Build anything?

Do that instead. Seriously.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#14]
If I was 44 years old and going back to college, it would be to get a degree in female anatomy and physiology.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]
In my honest opinion, going to college for a history degree, even if the degree were free, is stupid.  College is a remarkably poor place to learn.   You can learn so much more by reading books yourself.  

College is for careers that require a slip of paper.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I enjoy history, and I want a degree. Not that I'm going to do anything with it but I enjoy learning, especially from good books or teacher.

Am I nuts ?

View Quote

I see you are in Michigan.  Anywhere near Hillsdale College?

eTa:  I see I was beaten like a rented mule.  Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do it
View Quote
For history, and for a degree he doesn't intend to use? I wouldn't. I have an associates degree (or two, I guess) and no desire to go back, even for a STEM major. The amount of bullshit he'll have to put up with is suicide inducing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#18]
My dad got his history degree when he was a little older than you. Just for fun as well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Am I nuts ?

View Quote

Do it. You only get so many revolutions around the Sun.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#20]
You may be able to take courses for no credit for a lesser price.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In my honest opinion, going to college for a history degree, even if the degree were free, is stupid.  College is a remarkably poor place to learn.   You can learn so much more by reading books yourself.  

View Quote

You can learn anything from books and the internet...
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#22]
If you can do it without racking up a ton of debt, I say go for it. I'm a bit younger than you but I recently earned my master's in history. Just know that you'll be vastly outnumbered when it comes to politically-charged discussions, assuming you are conservative/libertarian. (Maybe not at Hillsdale, though.)
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't recommend it.  I'm wishing I would not have went back and got my degree.  I thought finally having a degree would open some doors - instead, I'm left with huge Student Loan debt, and in a worse position than I was.  

1* Do not recommend
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Since no one said it yet...

History degree has no future.

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I finished my Bachelors at age 45. Just got notice today that I was accepted into Grad school.(Now 47) With tuition assistance from work I'll be out about $5k but will make more than double that yearly, after the promotion cycle.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I went back at 31 years old and finished at 34. My employer paid for a Masters degree so I finished that at 39.

Go for it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#27]

100% accurate. Had a couple of "adults"  that came back to school in my lab classes when I was TA, pretty much what it looked like and felt like to them.

Quoted:

View Quote

Also true now. Unfortunately in some aspects.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#28]
OP: enroll at a major academic institute and use your priveledges to look up the plethora of papers not available on clearnet.

Or just browse archive.org like the rest of us
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Between wikipedia and youtube and a gazillion good podcasts, dude, there's no point whatsoever to getting a history degree at this stage of life.

If you hear of a local class being offered by a good prof, yeah, sure, go take it. But I wouldn't set my sights on an actual degree.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Go to the library and read books.  You'll learn more.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#32]
If you want to, do it. Went back to school at 37 for a history MA a few years ago. It was fun. Got to learn about cool stuff I wanted to learn about, refine my research methodology, do lots of historiography, and come up with unique research and write about it.

But I did it primarily because I didn’t want the even more useless M.Ed. for the pay bump. History degrees generally will not pay out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#33]
There are probably dumber things you could spend the money on, but I can’t think of any right now.

Seriously - unless you’re going to go someplace like Hillsdale, I wouldn’t do it. As others said, learn about History at your local library, or on the internet. I seriously questions the veracity of anything being taught in colleges now. I certainly wouldn’t spend money to take something like a history class “for fun” unless you also don’t care if what you’re learning is the truth or not.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Finished my Bachelors at 44. I did because I wanted to do it. I was fortunate in that my employer paid for it. Absolutely no regrets.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#35]
You aren't nuts.

Go for it.

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#36]
But why? Read books without the stupid college propaganda; just choose well.

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Do it.  Try to get Professor Terguson for History.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes. College was incredibly overrated and there is an unlimited amount of knowledge available open source these days.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I graduated from UNLV at 43, back in 2014, and got myself a degree in business. I was tired of driving a truck, and it worked, as within 5 years of graduating, I tripled my salary upto 6 figures, and had my own department in the CRE division. So, to deal with all that hell was worth it for me...But for fun...LOL...fuck that!!!!

It was swamped with liberal crap and pushing the agenda back then, and it really drives you nuts, and that was 10 years ago, I can't even imagine how warped it is now, as I was going to school when there were only 2 genders...Plus, it sucks being old around all the hottest pieces of ass in the damn city, because you are older than their fathers....They like you like a grandpa...LOL...It really kills your manly ego...Besides they were sperm still when I was 25...HAHAHA

If you are not intending to use this degree to increase your salary, then the return on investment is horrible, and if I was your financial advisor, I would strongly discourage you from doing something so monumentally stupid and time consuming and soul shattering......Wake up McFly...
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Hilarious thread is hilarious, and people here seem to have no idea what a university history education is like.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#41]
20-25 years ago (with you still being your current age) I would have said yes. Now I say maybe. If you go to someplace like Hillsdale or George Mason, then yes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hilarious thread is hilarious, and people here seem to have no idea what a university history education is like.
View Quote

Brainwashing by commie professors who require students to regurgitate propaganda to pass
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Will:You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for a buck fifty in late charges at the public library.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Secret college trick:
Go community college for first year or two.  Get the basics out if the way easy and cheap.  You don't need to sit in an auditorium with a thousand other freshmen paying thousands $$$ for entry level english and math requirements.
Many universities have arrangements with the local community colleges for automatic acceptance as a junior after completing the Associate Degree courses.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You ever farm? Weld? Build anything?

Do that instead. Seriously.
View Quote

Weld and build shit I have . I spent four hours In a tractor today moving stuff. We grow a garden, but nothing like a farm.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#46]
No. If thats what you want to do, go for it. I went back at 54 and got my Masters. It was something I wanted to do for a while, it was a great example for my kids that you are never too old to do anything you want
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#47]
My BA is in history. I enjoyed going to school to study history, appreciated that the degree program caused me to study historical topics that never would have piqued my interest, and had a bit of fun with the discussions- especially in the upper division classes. I also found that, in some ways, I have less enjoyment for studying history afterwards (though I'm not sure how much of that is a result of studying history and how much of that is a result of having taught history). I really appreciate the reading, writing, and research skills that I learned in my History program. Nobody appreciates it, but history programs do teach skills that are useful for the workplace. I am convinced that a big part of the reason why I am able to do what I do, as effectively as I do, is because of my undergraduate education (perhaps more so than my more related MS degree).

Despite all of those positive things, don't delude yourself into thinking that a history degree is a great pathway to any sort of decent paying job. It's not. As much as I said that I believe the skills in my history program are what contribute to my effectiveness, my employability is a result of my MS degree-which is in SPED. (In fairness, my history degree in conjunction with my SPED degree and cert has contributed to some past employment that...) .

A lot of people who love history (and get the degree) go on to decide they want to teach it. That's a point that gets people into teaching programs and teaching jobs. One of the things that you end up learning is that teaching history has nothing to do with loving it. It's a decent job, but it won't be what you will expect.

If I had to go back in time, and do it all again, I wouldn't go to school for history again...at least not as an undergrad major. Maybe as an undergrad minor or something else later on; but not advisable as an initial academic degree.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Textbooks suck, and most history teachers do too, but there are some cool ones
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Of course not! Go for it!
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hillsdale has a lot of their courses video recorded and posted on their website for free.
View Quote

OP’s in MI, so this is a good suggestion.

If I were to go back, I think a history degree, from a good school, and non woke professors, would make me happy.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top