Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/31/2021 12:17:19 AM EDT
I’m thinking 6 months worth for 7 people.  

We already have a decent stash of what we eat…I’m thinking with this stuff have it be the kind you stick in your basement and forget about it until SHTF.

thoughts?

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Rice beans and shit to go with it if you're not worried about water. If water is an issue get 3 months of food and a well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Emergency Essentials

Augason Farms

Honeyville Farms

MRE Depot

USA Emergency Supply

You should be able to figure it out between those. But I'd say 7 people for 6 months is going to be a HUGE investment. And it'll take up a LOT of space. Probably a couple of pallets, or more.

I'd reach out to some of the suppliers I listed and talk to them about your needs. Most of them will personalize a big order like that.

ETA: the Mormons know how to do this, too. Here's their online store

And Lehman's has some good stuff, too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I’m thinking 6 months worth for 7 people.  

We already have a decent stash of what we eat…I’m thinking with this stuff have it be the kind you stick in your basement and forget about it until SHTF.

thoughts?

View Quote

Honestly, just stock even more of what you currently eat. I stock rice, canned beans, pasta & sauce, canned peaches, ravioli, oatmeal etc. Shelf stable tortillas. All stuff that is going to be 'usual' food to eat rather than weird stuff.

Buy a Hawkins pressure cooker to cook the rice/pasta/beans with.

I also stock bread flour and all the other stuff to make a few weeks worth of bread in my goodwill sourced zojirushi.

I have some mountain house but that is for a different purpose than in-home long term supplies.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:37:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Emergency Essentials

Augason Farms

Honeyville Farms

MRE Depot

USA Emergency Supply

You should be able to figure it out between those. But I'd say 7 people for 6 months is going to be a HUGE investment. And it'll take up a LOT of space. Probably a couple of pallets, or more.

I'd reach out to some of the suppliers I listed and talk to them about your needs. Most of them will personalize a big order like that.

View Quote

Thanks for taking the time to put that post together.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:40:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Emergency Essentials

Augason Farms

Honeyville Farms

MRE Depot

USA Emergency Supply

View Quote

None of these are any better than sourcing from a store/costco/sams. You don't want 2500 MREs.

Amazon sell wheeled wire racks that you can use to stack provisions and move as needed for access to to redistribute around the house.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I buy a lot of Mt. House. Always on sale some where. Keep an eye on.
Costco
Fleet Farm
Amazon
Nitro-Pak
No need to ever pay full price.

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:47:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

None of these are any better than sourcing from a store/costco/sams. You don't want 2500 MREs.

Amazon sell wheeled wire racks that you can use to stack provisions and move as needed for access to to redistribute around the house.
View Quote

Well, he did say that he's already stocked on regular foods that they eat, so I'm assuming he's looking for LTS stuff that he can put away for a decade or two.

Personally, I keep a stock of LTS stuff just in case for the family, but 90% of our preps at this point come from HEB/Walmart/Costco/Sams etc, and is just stuff that we regularly rotate. But I don't think he's looking for that here.

Most people are better off avoiding the racks of #10 cans and buckets with vacuum sealed, freeze dried and dehydrated foods. It makes more sense for most people to just stock and rotate regular canned foods, rice, pasta, beans, etc.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:48:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Honestly, just stock even more of what you currently eat. I stock rice, canned beans, pasta & sauce, canned peaches, ravioli, oatmeal etc. Shelf stable tortillas. All stuff that is going to be 'usual' food to eat rather than weird stuff.

I also stock bread flour and all the other stuff to make a few weeks worth of bread in my goodwill sourced zojirushi.

I have some mountain house but that is for a different purpose than in-home long term supplies.
View Quote

So...carbs, carbs and more carbs?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:49:35 AM EDT
[#9]
@skydivesnake

Why a Hawkins pressure cooker?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:53:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Emergency Essentials can go to hell. Sold me stuff they didn't have then took months to fill the order. They are the optics planet of freeze dried prepper food. Fuckers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:56:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Living in Utah you have the best resources in the country. Every Walmart, Reams, etc., have a freeze dried food section already stored in #10 cans. Wheat, beans, rice, and more can be bought at LDS distribution centers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:59:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

And hopefully a shit-ton of water put back.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:01:59 AM EDT
[#13]
A(nother) freezer, filled to the brim with vacuum-packed meat.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:09:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Buy 42 food grade buckets and lids, a bunch of mylar bags and oxygen absorbers, and then then fill 35 with white rice and 7 with beans of your choice.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:13:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Average of 220 grams of protein per person, per day, given a moderate level of energy output.

180 x 220 x 7 =277,200 grams of protein.

Plus fiber.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:23:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Harvest right and roll your own.

https://harvestright.com/home-freeze-dryers/
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:23:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Couple 5 gallon buckets, gamma kids. Fill with rice or beans and toss in some canned goods. Top off with oxygen absorbers. Figure about 50 bucks per bucket.

Its... Well, a bucket full of "aww man this AGAIN" calories.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:25:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:41:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:48:17 AM EDT
[#20]
For several years I’ve been filling 5gal buckets with Mountain House meals.   Each bucket will hold a lot of meals and the buckets stack easy.   Try each of the meals and see which ones you and your family enjoy, stock up on those.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:53:30 AM EDT
[#21]

I snag shit from there. I like em. I also stock rice, pasta and trying to find good powdered eggs for a decent price.

Egg fried rice wins!

Also good shit to stock up on like soy sauce and sauerkraut. Shit never goes bad.

Got food grade buckets with gaskets filled with rice. Thrown in oxygen absorbers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:01:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I like LDS food storage for the basic stuff. It's pretty cheap compared to others.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:11:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it wasn't a full list, I also stock canned meat (keystone beef & vienna sausages, canned ham) and refried beans. I guess my point was to not buy a shit ton of unusual foods that you typically wouldn't eat, or that the family are going to not want to eat.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:14:20 AM EDT
[#24]
100 cans of spam.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:16:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@skydivesnake

Why a Hawkins pressure cooker?
View Quote

Makes cooking any dry food a breeze, the hawkins ones are super simple, nice design, lightweight, big range of sizes. I keep an additional seal.

Rice is 3mins at pressure on low heat then 6mins natural release... so fuel requirements are minimal. They work great with a coleman stove or biolite stove.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:24:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I snag shit from there. I like em. I also stock rice, pasta and trying to find good powdered eggs for a decent price.

Egg fried rice wins!

Also good shit to stock up on like soy sauce and sauerkraut. Shit never goes bad.

Got food grade buckets with gaskets filled with rice. Thrown in oxygen absorbers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Egg fried rice wins!

I used to have problems with 5gal buckets cracking in the center of the base, I found that Target sell 'Pillowfort' brand plates for 50c or something, one size which exactly fits the bottom of the bucket. Put one of those in upside down and it forms a dome that holds the food off the center of the base.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:25:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Rice beans and shit to go with it if you're not worried about water. If water is an issue get 3 months of food and a well.
View Quote
And can your own.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:28:42 AM EDT
[#28]
What kind of canned food do you like?

Get lots and lots of that.

You know how many calories you eat in a day.  The cans all have calorie counts.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:50:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Harvest Right freeze dryer.  Make freezing and re-constituting a lifestlyle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:52:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What kind of canned food do you like?

Get lots and lots of that.

You know how many calories you eat in a day.  The cans all have calorie counts.
View Quote
This. Can be eaten right out of the can. No need to reconstitute.
Or for the end times
The LDS Prep Guide. Extensive guide for food preps, storage and amounts.

https://survivalcache.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/LDS-Preparedness-Manual.pdf
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:59:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Buy 42 food grade buckets and lids, a bunch of mylar bags and oxygen absorbers, and then then fill 35 with white rice and 7 with beans of your choice.
View Quote

Your rice : beans ratio is debatable, but you have the right idea.

Next, develop a good recipe for turning rice and beans into a tasty meal. This may involve also storing some spices, a little bit of canned ham or bacon, etc.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 4:27:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Sardines are BY FAR the best possible prep food but people don't like them much. Better nutritionally pound-for-pound than any other form of protein and they keep for ages.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Well, it wasn't a full list, I also stock canned meat (keystone beef & vienna sausages, canned ham) and refried beans. I guess my point was to not buy a shit ton of unusual foods that you typically wouldn't eat, or that the family are going to not want to eat.
View Quote

I'm just giving you shit. We don't eat carbs in my family, so all the food on your list would be sitting in tubs until it expired. I did buy a few larger bags of rice and beans along with a bunch of canned food when the warning signal went out on ARF about Covid. We were definitely ahead of the Curve on that one. Beans and rice are an insurance policy that we will probably never use though. If it gets bad, I'll just hunt for food. We have large tracts of woods full of deer, turkey, bear and small game. If that gets eaten, well screw it. We gave it a good run.

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Living in Utah you have the best resources in the country. Every Walmart, Reams, etc., have a freeze dried food section already stored in #10 cans. Wheat, beans, rice, and more can be bought at LDS distribution centers.
View Quote
This.

OP, you can go buy what you need right off of the shelf in Utah.

Just add more fats/oils to your stored food.
Everyone overlooks just how much oil/butter/shortening they will need for hundreds of lbs of starches.

Speed
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Don’t waste your money.

This country will never have a food shortage.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#36]
100+lb. salt, 10 gal bleach. learn how to do the rest. if society breaks down and you have 6 months of food and water, plan on being hungry until you learn what to do with the salt and bleach.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I guess my point was to not buy a shit ton of unusual foods that you typically wouldn't eat, or that the family are going to not want to eat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess my point was to not buy a shit ton of unusual foods that you typically wouldn't eat, or that the family are going to not want to eat.

If they get hungry enough they'll eat it!
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#38]
for what you're trying to do, MREs and freeze-dried are the wrong tools.  they're high-cost, health-averse calorie bombs to get you through short-term emergencies.

what you want is normal canned food for nutrition and vac-packed grains/legumes (emergency essentials buckets) for volume.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Just stock up on the canned food from your local super, Costco, Sam's etc. They are vermin proof.

If you get food like in the aluminized plastic pouches like the US MREs, insects & animals can gnaw through the packaging, so you need to protect them.

Also water is super critical. For myself I have 3 55-gal drums, and some 5-gal one incase I have to be evacuated, that should last my family of 4 for a month or so, but less if you do strenuous work. I plan to use my neighbor swimming pool for toiled flushing if need be.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Don’t waste your money.

View Quote

when we got together, my GF kind of rolled her eyes at my food preps.

that lasted until we spent 2 weeks living on them during the february icepocalypse.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Costco near me has been stocking the Mountain House Adventure 13 in the plastic tubs for like $5X.00.

I pick one up every couple weeks.

Best option for me.

Lightweight as well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Numana - non gmo.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

that lasted until we spent 2 weeks living on them during the february icepocalypse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don’t waste your money.

My wife kind of looked funny at me years ago when I decided we were going to keep larger amounts of shelf stable foods. She is completely on board now after the food/TP shortage from the china flu. We had everything we needed due to proper planning.

If I could just get her rotate the food correctly!
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I store a bit of everything....freeze dried/dehydrated.. MREs and everyday canned items..
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I’m getting supplies to start making large amounts of hardtack.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Should I stay on Keto during apacolypse?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sardines are BY FAR the best possible prep food but people don't like them much. Better nutritionally pound-for-pound than any other form of protein and they keep for ages.
View Quote
Buy food that you and your family would normally eat. Personally, I am not a fan of canned food , but when you are hungry and there is nothing else... But trying to acclimate yourself to unfamiliar will just add to the stress.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My wife kind of looked funny at me years ago when I decided we were going to keep larger amounts of shelf stable foods. She is completely on board now after the food/TP shortage from the china flu. We had everything we needed due to proper planning.

View Quote
Get a sharpie and mark the can when you bought it, and  eat that first.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Keep an eye on sodium levels too.  Try and buy sample packs before buying a whole bucket of something.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cans are already marked from the caners with a best by date, she would have to look under the can, but rarely does.

Or, you are right and I should write "Eat me first" on the oldest dated can.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top