Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2018 12:39:16 PM EDT
I am getting back into brewing beer after a long hiatus and plan to grow some hops on the southern side of my house. Unfortunately I can't remember what varieties are the most popular and useful after 10 years and there seems to be a greater selection.

I'll mostly be brewing small beers, blonde and amber ales, English dark minds, etc. I'm not a huge fan of APA or IPAs.

I have room for 3 - 5 varieties. So what do you think would be most useful for me? Don't be afraid to mention several kinds because I will still have to select for my climate, North Dakota which is considered to have mild dry summers.

So lend me your wisdom, what would you suggest?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I use home grown hops for late addition and dry hopping for APAs and IPAs, so Cascade and Centennial are great.

If I only did more English style ales I would probably try to grow from East Kent Golding, Willamette, and Fuggle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I like noble hops ! All my favorite beer styles are German or Belgian
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Hop growers:  do you dry your harvested hops in a food dehydrator?  Or use them fresh?

Also: when do you harvest for optimal use?
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#5]
My first significant harvest of my 2 cascade plants was last year and I used them as wet hops in whirlpool. What do I want to grow? Citra, galaxy, mosaic, saaz, but most of those are patented and not available. There are some neomexicana strains available that I might seek out and plant this year.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#6]
With those styles OP I would look at doing some EKG and Fuggles
maybe some Target or Challenger

How many rhizomes do you plan on putting in?
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Halertau
Tettnang
Saaz
Magnum
Ekg

All the hops you would ever need !
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Saaz
Hallertau
Tettnang
Cascade
Perle
And Northern Brewer because I like Anchor Steam
Willamette is a good one too
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I grew Willamette for several years until the locusts arrived.  (Aphids )

Tried ladybug larvae but no go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top