Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2021 9:14:22 PM EDT
Used to lift pretty seriously in college but it turns out that 20 years of coasting and a desk job made short work of that.

As happens, went a bit far the wrong way. Been working on losing weight (keto mostly) but now I’m ready to work on getting back to strength.

I have some low back issues that I’m looking to resolve. L4/5/S1 are basically bone on bone so I need to strengthen and stabilize.

I have zero equipment. Willing to buy some weights/benches and have a bit of room in the garage to get set up.

What is the go to, off the couch and back in the gym training regimen? Unlikely to be able to join a gym, young kid schedule means I’m in the house more often than not.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't NEED equipment, just body weight, and you have that to spare right now.  :)

Seriously, lots of things you could (and should) do before worrying about gym equipment, even with a worn-out spine.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I do pull-ups on a doorway bar I got from Walmart that is pretty good and use those "perfect pushup" handles to do sets of 20 pushups.  Basic exercises but they help and I'm seeing my chest and arms toning up.  I have some basic steel dumbbells that I need to dig out to do curls and shoulder presses with.  I wouldn't mind joining a gym later but for now, this does me to at least get some sort of exercises in.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Used to lift pretty seriously in college but it turns out that 20 years of coasting and a desk job made short work of that.

As happens, went a bit far the wrong way. Been working on losing weight (keto mostly) but now I’m ready to work on getting back to strength.

I have some low back issues that I’m looking to resolve. L4/5/S1 are basically bone on bone so I need to strengthen and stabilize.

I have zero equipment. Willing to buy some weights/benches and have a bit of room in the garage to get set up.

What is the go to, off the couch and back in the gym training regimen? Unlikely to be able to join a gym, young kid schedule means I’m in the house more often than not.
View Quote

-Power rack/half rack with a pull-up bar, land mines, dip bar, spotter arms and plate storage.   Lots of options but the gold standard is 3”x3” 11 gauge Steal with either .625 or 1” holes.  Using racks that don’t follow that standard will limit accessories you may want to add.  
-Olympic barbell and ez curl bar.  Rogue, rep, and Texas Powerbars make great bars.
-adjustable bench. Rogue, rep, prime all make great ones.   The main thing to remember are the bench dimensions. 17”H x 12”w x 48” long is what you want regardless of brand. Don’t skimp here.
-dumbbells. Adjustable or fixed, there’s advantages to both. For home I’d recommend nuobell or iron master...which depends on whether you want faster weight changes or heavier weight.  Stay away from bow flex.
-plates in the following increments.
 -at least 2 45s.
 -2 25s
 -4 10s
 -2 5s
 -2 2.5s.

As your lifts increase you’ll add 45s. Those weight increments will allow you to move up weight with the bar in 5# increments.

Getting back into things some bands would be helpful for assisting your pull-ups.

With those items, you can get a great home lift.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Start with light or no weight, lots of reps (20+) x 5 sets for a month or maybe two depending on how you feel. You'll need to get your ligaments back up to snuff. Plus weights are hard to come by right now, but things are slowly coming back into stock. Set goals and dates. This is important. Create a schedule and stick to it, especially at the beginning.

Eat healthy, but don't count calories. Listen to your body and stop just before your satiated. Eat when you're hungry, but don't let yourself get starving. (Those all sound common sense, but most people don't).

Squats
Lunges
Pushups
Situps
Leg lifts/kicks
Pull ups
Cardio (I'd recommend a bike or fan bike since it's easier on the body, especially if you're getting going again)
Lots of stretching

You need a good base to avoid injury and set yourself up for success. If you're too sore after a workout, the next day focus on cardio, even if it's just 20 minutes, but don't skip if its not a rest day.
---------
Month two:

Follow the equipment list from poster above. If you can, get a cage with a lat pulldown and low pull. This will help a lot.

(Start light. 12-15 reps x 4-5 sets)

Squats (back allowing) Work on form, even if that means starting with just the bar. Practice your brace. Get your back straight. Go slow. Go low.
Bench
Incline bench
Lunges (with dumbbells)
Deadlift (back allowing) is probably the best thing for lower back strength. Again, start light. If you feel any pain at all, it's time to stop for the day.
Lat pulldown or pull ups.
Barbell row (back allowing)
Low pull
Tricep dip
Situps/ core

Don't stop stretching.

Between those exercises you're hitting pretty much everything. As you get back into shape, add weight and variations.

I like to have days of just cardio, especially if you're sore. If you have time, as you progress and your heart gets stronger, you can make awesome gains by throwing in 2-3 mins of fan bike between sets, but you basically double your workout time.

Day 1- Legs and back
Day 2- Cardio
Day 3- Chest and core
Day 4- Cardio
Day 5- Back and Arms
Day 6-Legs+Shoulders+Cardio
Day 7-Rest

There are tons of opinions on schedule though, so find what works for you and trust your own body more than somebody from the internet. The most important thing is to show up, you'll figure out what works for you as you go. Be creative.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Equipment is a little hard to come by right now, but it's coming back in stock.

I spent a year with a pullup bar and some rings I made out of tie down straps and PVC.

It wasn't a complete workout, but it was something, I was in my mid 20's so being retarded about it didn't matter, I did way too many dips and chinups each week and my elbows paid the price.

Regardless. All I did was Chinups, Dips, Ring Pushups, Inverted Rows, Floor pushups, bodyweight squats, lunges, calf raises, and a few other things that I wouldn't reccomend like bench dips (don't do those)

I wasn't going to win the Arnold Classic or anything, but it helped prepare me a little bit for when I bought weights and a rack.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]
PM me
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Pick up a copy of Starting Strength or Barbell Prescription.  Rack and weights have been covered.  

In the mean time body weight squats, push ups, pull ups would be good.  Throw in some walking or light run.

For me diet is my problem that I have to be constantly aware of.  I have to work hard to not eat garbage.  If I manage that I do well.  If I start slipping I feel like garbage and adjust accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I would suggest not getting the doorway pull-up bars that rely on friction. Get something that screws into the 2x4 behind the frame. Or, if you have a basement with exposed floor joists, get some iron pipe and make a bar that can be attached inside the joists or through the joists.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I started off with cardio.  Recumbent bike 30 minutes at a good clip.  Then a 50/50 bike and elliptical for 45 minutes.  Then all elliptical for 45 minutes.  I gauged my exertion level by how many words I could string together in a sentence... More than a couple words meant I wasn't pushing myself.

Then to strength training.  Cardio for 20 minutes first.  All machines to start.  Less chance of hurting myself and I didn't have to depend on my then-weak stabilizing muscles.  

Then to free weights and machines.  All free weight work was done with dumbbells...easier to dump and less dangerous than a bar when lifting solo. I'd finish with 20 minutes on a stair climber at moderate/high intensity.

I'd listen to the body weight advocates to start.  Do this plus cardio to improve stamina.  I liked bench dips, but you have to use correct form or you will hurt your shoulders. Pushups (incline, decline, standard), pullups, body weight squats.

Then buy some dumbbells.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in the same boat, but I've been there a bit longer. Don't go barbell and heavy lifting, not with a bad back. You'll just strain them and end up laid up again. Start with core exercises. Your doc can give you a list of good core exercises to start with. Then work on building overall buddy strength with body weight exercises. Push ups, crunches (not sit ups), knee bends. Just do a search for body weight exercises.

I'm do 16/8 intermittent fasting. Basically, I have breakfast at 9am, lunch, healthy type snack, dinner finished by 5pm. Then nothing but water until 9 the next morning. The idea is not to starve, but to keep healthy (even keto) eating to an 8 hour window and fast for 16 hours in between. Some people keep the 8 hour window as noon to 8pm and just skip breakfast. I have a cup of coffee, in the morning but it has to be black.

Sitting at a desk all day is NOT the way humans are supposed to live. Get up and move around from time to time. I curse the day I decided to leave the machine floor for an office job.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]
This may be an unpopular opinion but I know there's some science behind it.  What I've seen work well for myself and others is if you're overweight, first focus on eating healthier, cut out the carbs, and fast a lot.

As you start losing weight and feeling better, you'll want to workout.  I noticed this and it's really interesting.

From my research, losing weight and working out can compete against each other.

As free I lost some weight my back never bothered me again and I threw out all my blood pressure pills.

Feels great.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go to prison or join the Army!

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Check where this is posted homeslice
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are viable considerations.  Have you looked at the National Guard?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering your back issues, I would try to ride a bike to lose weight. This will help you with your core strength and overall fitness.  If this works then add weight training.  However,  treat your back with care.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Considering your back issues, I would try to ride a bike to lose weight. This will help you with your core strength and overall fitness.  If this works then add weight training.  However,  treat your back with care.
View Quote
Cycling is great cardio, but has absolutely nothing to do with core strength.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Easy - Eat less calories and exercise as much and often as you can.  Science.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Core workout

Cycling also works your core muscles, including your back and abdominals. Maintaining your body upright and keeping the bike in position requires a certain amount of core strength. Strong abdominals and back muscles support your spine, increase stability, and improve comfort while cycling.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Core workout

Cycling also works your core muscles, including your back and abdominals. Maintaining your body upright and keeping the bike in position requires a certain amount of core strength. Strong abdominals and back muscles support your spine, increase stability, and improve comfort while cycling.
View Quote
Go back to GD.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Go back to GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Core workout

Go back to GD.

He needs to start somewhere.  He does not have access to a gym.  For a totally out of shape person and considering his back, how is  this bad?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I was in the best shape of my life after OSUT-jump school-RIP-Newbie at Ranger bat.

Didn’t use a single piece of gym equipment.

You need willpower and determination. Not gym equipment and weights.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Core workout

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Core workout

Riding a bike is something children do for hours at a time.

It's great cardio, but I doubt it's going to do much for core strength compared to actual strength work.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was in the best shape of my life after OSUT-jump school-RIP-Newbie at Ranger bat.

Didn’t use a single piece of gym equipment.

You need willpower and determination. Not gym equipment and weights.
View Quote

but willpower and determination with the right equipment is even better. Doubt OP is going to go to jump school (not sure why that was even mentioned, jump school physical fitness is a joke...I went to the gym and did 5/3/1 after most training days there).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top