Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/9/2024 6:14:24 PM EDT
My phone number is my lifeline. From account authorizations, medical reminders family, and friends. The biggy is its on my business card and even plastered all over the Internet.

I woke up this morning and had no mobile phone service from Tracfone. The only evidence of trouble was a text from TracFone regarding an account verification number from last night.  After two attempts I was locked out of my email verification. Was on the phone for over 6 1/2 hrs with 9+ Service reps. At the end of the day I have a new phone number. If you call my old number you get a voicemail with my voice yet I have no way to retrieve it. I was told to send a certified letter to their corporate office in Miami and not call them back or try to email them. This is disastrous for my service-based business.  I had Straight Talk for over 12 years without an issue. I switched to an Annual Plan with Tracfone last November thinking the mother company would be a safe bet. Man was I wrong.
Does anyone know anybody with the FCC, Tracfone or the Attorney Generals' office or anyone else that could help resolve this shit show?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe don't use Tracfone? I don’t trust these fly by night carriers and prefer Verizon. Zero issues in over 24 years.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Did someone gain access to your account or was it just killed by Trackfone?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I would just pick a different cell provider and have them port your number over to them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This. You left out some important information.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Jesus Christ, please tell me this is a joke of some kind.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm shocked that when picking a budget service provider they don't provide better service.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Was told at one time that it was a system glitch.  I wonder if they got some outside fuckery in their system. I can access my online account with Straight Talk and Tracfone but unable to access or edit any security credentials.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve had the same number since 1997 when I started driving to school after getting my permit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#9]
You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#10]
That sucks. I've had my phone number for over 20 years so I know what you're going through.

doesn't help the OP but this is exactly what I mean when I tell people to stick with the big 3 providers.. yes you pay more but when you need CS you can usually get what you need.

The problem with tea phone and the other service resellers is they are not the people in charge and their contracts with their primary network won't let you talk to the people in charge of your network.

What was the reason they gave for the issue
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#11]
What the fuck? Who runs a business with a tracfone (other than drug dealers and pimps)?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one knows.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Good luck, they did that to me a decade ago.

Sent letters, got BBB involved (yeah they're useless), and tried contacting the state AG office (didn't care) to try and get leverage to get my number back.

Got a one month credit for the inconvenience and never got my number back.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#14]
30 years ago VA split off some area codes, we lived in a "new" area code. They linked the old area code to the new area code so both would ring the same house, landline era. Years later I had a cell phone. They sold the same number on the "old" area code to someone else, we were basically sharing a cell phone. That one took a while to straighten out

I wouldn't trust my phone or my business to a pay by the hour phone company. A kid at work pays annually, he has problems with service constantly. No thanks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Arent tracfones burner phones for criminals?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What the fuck? Who runs a business with a tracfone (other than drug dealers and pimps)?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/zoomin-428901-768826.gif
View Quote
Some Tracfone phones run off of  Verizon towers. Many many years of multiple phone upgrades without an issue,  now this. Unbelievable!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've had my phone number for over 20 years so I know what you're going through.
View Quote

I just realized I’ve had my number for 20 years now. Moved to my current area in Florida just over 20 years ago. Time flies.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been using TracFone for years with no problems.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Tracfone's main customers routinely want new numbers. They probably aren't used to servicing someone that wants to recover one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Maybe don't use Tracfone? I don’t trust these fly by night carriers and prefer Verizon. Zero issues in over 24 years.
View Quote

LMAO!

In 2021, Verizon acquired TracFone Wireless, Inc. from Mexico-based América Móvil (owner of Claro) in a deal worth up to $6.9 billion, involving 20 million subscribers. The deal was approved by the Federal Communications Commission on November 22, 2021, and closed the following day.[4][5][1]

In 2022, the TracFone portfolio of brands, including Straight Talk, Safelink, and Total by Verizon, became part of the Verizon Value organization, led by Angie Klein.[6] The organization is part of Verizon's Consumer Group and houses its value and prepaid brands.[7]

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm shocked that when picking a budget service provider they don't provide better service.
View Quote

I know if my livelihood depended on my cell service I would pick the one created for hood rats and single moms on welfare.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LMAO!

In 2021, Verizon acquired TracFone Wireless, Inc. from Mexico-based Am rica M vil (owner of Claro) in a deal worth up to $6.9 billion, involving 20 million subscribers. The deal was approved by the Federal Communications Commission on November 22, 2021, and closed the following day.[4][5][1]

In 2022, the TracFone portfolio of brands, including Straight Talk, Safelink, and Total by Verizon, became part of the Verizon Value organization, led by Angie Klein.[6] The organization is part of Verizon's Consumer Group and houses its value and prepaid brands.[7]

View Quote
Yup, a man does not have a chance today running a business. Let's buy out the competition and run their subsidiaries into the ground PRONTO.   Meanwhile, the FTC and the FCC is chasing their tail.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

LMAO!

In 2021, Verizon acquired TracFone Wireless, Inc. from Mexico-based América Móvil (owner of Claro) in a deal worth up to $6.9 billion, involving 20 million subscribers. The deal was approved by the Federal Communications Commission on November 22, 2021, and closed the following day.[4][5][1]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMAO!

LOL. It’s still tier 3 CRAP.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tracfone's main customers routinely want new numbers. They probably aren't used to servicing someone that wants to recover one.
View Quote

Yes they probably don't t have a corporate process for this scenario
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Meth dealer phone company. Who would have thought. Better go with Patrot Mobile, they give money to Niki Haley.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I've used them for years with no issues but that sucks and is extra sucky if that's your business number.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#27]
If I was that dependent on my phone number I would use a real carrier.

Good luck, sounds like a mess.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorry about your situation OP, not fun and dealing with 'nokustoomer' support these days is a nightmare.

However there are days when I think I would be happy if my number changed.

I've even been thinking about it once I retire, just dropping the old service/plan, signing up for a new one and never handing out my number again.

So many things to have to update first before dropping the old though. So many accounts and so forth use that number to 'verify' it would be a pain.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#29]
As long as they are sure it isn’t sim swapped.  

But I still don’t understand how a ‘glitch’ causes this.  When you have tracfone do you have a standing account?  Or is it month to month and minute by minute?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've used them for years with no issues but that sucks and is extra sucky if that's your business number.
View Quote
yes, explained that to them and no SOP for escalation.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#31]
When a previous employer went under, my phone number was the only one of the dozens of company phones in our region that the HR director decided would stay with the company. Yeah, the director hated me. He let everyone else keep their number if they wanted it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
yes, explained that to them and no SOP for escalation.

View Quote

Exactly. And Verizon is over here with entire departments and specialized employees for business accounts. There's a reason it's more expensive.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Tracphone?  Sorry man but you're probably out of luck.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As long as they are sure it isn't sim swapped.  

But I still don't understand how a 'glitch' causes this.  When you have tracfone do you have a standing account?  Or is it month to month and minute by minute?
View Quote
They verified my phone SIM and previous phone SIM. I have been on auto refill for years and years using a Chase Credit Card. Got a QVC Black Friday Deal with an upgraded Samsung Galaxy A54 and an annual service plan for 249.00 Sometimes deals are too good to be true. What could possibly go wrong???
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I know if my livelihood depended on my cell service I would pick the one created for hood rats and single moms on welfare.
View Quote

Hood rats and welfare moms get "free" phones thanks to Uncle Sugar.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I wasn’t even aware that brand of crack dealer burner phone was still in business.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#37]
that sounds awful.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Tracfone.

That’s where you lost my sympathy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ, please tell me this is a joke of some kind.
View Quote

I think he’s serious.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

LMAO!

View Quote

I'm primarily on Verizon, but had a single StraightTalk line as a backup.

That line had issues less then three days after Verizion flipped the switch on ST integration. Within a month
my autopay failed because ST unilaterally ceased to offer the plan I was on for five years and didn't inform me.
To get service back on I had to pay twice was I was a month.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if this was Verizon fucking with (their own) TracFone customers.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is where I'm at.  I know Verizon is all woke an sheeit but they have the best geographic coverage (very important for me) and their service has been good the few times I needed them.  I'm willing to pay a little extra for those benefits but my budget isn't that tight.  I will scrimp somewhere else.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#42]
It might get fixed if you switch to another carrier and transfer your phone #
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is Tracfone a fly by night carrier? They've been around longer than you've been with Verizon.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#44]
try to port the number to ATT or whatev
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm really confused.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#46]
An easier solution might be to switch to another carrier and port your number to the new carrier.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Is Tracfone a fly by night carrier? They've been around longer than you've been with Verizon.
View Quote

Kia was founded in 1944.

Just as good.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#48]
See if you can port it to Google Voice. You can set it up to ring to your current number/phone.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
try to port the number to ATT or whatev
View Quote
Might be worth it to try a ATT burner phone just to see what happens next
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top