Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2021 8:54:00 AM EDT
I know very little about bourbon.  I drink it occasionally.

I was given this as a gift from a neighbor, a bottle of Buffalo Trace:

Attachment Attached File

Is this a good bourbon?

Of course I accepted it graciously, but just wondering if I should drink soon or stash away in the back of the liquor cabinet?
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Drink it.  BT is good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Its a fine bourbon. Nothing special but certainly worth drinking neat and enjoying.

When I drank it was my evening drink,

You have a good neighbor.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#3]
there is nothing that comes out of the Buffalo Trace Distillery that I wouldn't gladly accept as a gift.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314595/214BB495-6A9B-458E-BAA4-36F934658B37_jpe-2058195.JPG

Is this a good bourbon?

Of course I accepted it graciously, but just wondering if I should drink soon or stash away in the back of the liquor cabinet?
View Quote

Solid Bourbon

No reason to stash it away, it will not improve the taste or value.  For me, BT is perfect as an all day sipper while smokin' Ribs/Boston Butt.

Link Posted: 8/19/2021 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
there is nothing that comes out of the Buffalo Trace Distillery that I wouldn't gladly accept as a gift.
View Quote

This!
There is a great documentary on them somewhere on one of the streaming services. They make all sorts of good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Solid Bourbon

No reason to stash it away, it will not improve the taste or value.  For me, BT is perfect as an all day sipper while smokin' Ribs/Boston Butt.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314595/214BB495-6A9B-458E-BAA4-36F934658B37_jpe-2058195.JPG

Is this a good bourbon?

Solid Bourbon

I was thinking more along the lines of stashing it away if it was not very good to use for cooking

Sounds like this is solid bourbon.  I assumed it was pretty good stuff, I was just curious what Arfcom would say.  

And yes, we have fantastic neighbors.  A while back I swapped some pistol sights for them.  Easy for me to do as I have a good sight pusher.  I refused any payment, so next thing I know there's a text about "check your front step".  There was a paper bag left there, and inside was half a dozen boxes of Speer 62gr Gold Dots and a couple boxes of Federal Flite Control 00.

So this was just another nice gift. They split their time between the house next to us and a vacation house in renovation, and I think they really appreciate having people they trust to look after their place when they're gone.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Good stuff. Enjoy

Link Posted: 8/19/2021 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#9]
My go to.  

As well as everything that comes out of their distilleries.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, good bourbon. Invite your neighbor over and have a few. Stands up to ice well, though I like it neat.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#11]
A little over hyped in my opinion, but still a solid choice.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Solid bourbon, my favorite in that price range.

I bought a single barrel store pick BT once and that’s one of my top 5 bourbons that I’ve drank.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#14]
It's two or three steps up from cheap shit in plastic bottles. Which is to say it's decent stuff.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Since this post I've cracked the bottle open and had some drinks with my neighbor.  For my simplistic tastes, this is pretty good bourbon
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Probably better than Canadian hunter
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 12:47:16 AM EDT
[#17]
My go to recommendation for anyone wanting a good, basic bourbon.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 1:10:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I like it. Easy to drink neat. It's just damn near impossible to get around here.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 2:02:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Here, if you can find it, thats a $26-$35 bottle. It is my daily drinker and I am a fan of all their products.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I have never seen a bottle near me. I don't know if Ohio has a lottery for Buffalo Trace too, but there isn't a place on the shelves at the 2 liquor stores near me.  I ask the workers and they act like they have never heard of it. I need to make a trip to their distillery.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Its a good 35 dollar liter bottle

it has a fan base and has been in short supply
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A little over hyped in my opinion, but still a solid choice.
View Quote

This is where I’m at with it. There’s definitely better, and definitely worse. Spending my own money I’d either go Bulleit or step up. But certainly worth a genuine “thank you.”
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have never seen a bottle near me. I don't know if Ohio has a lottery for Buffalo Trace too, but there isn't a place on the shelves at the 2 liquor stores near me.  I ask the workers and they act like they have never heard of it. I need to make a trip to their distillery.
View Quote

How far are you from the Indiana border? Fort Wayne has it in stock at multiple stores.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How far are you from the Indiana border? Fort Wayne has it in stock at multiple stores.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other side of the state. I do have family in St. Mary's though. I may have to go to Ft. Wayne next time I visit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, my wife just got back from her family visit and she found 3 bottles of Buffalo Trace while there.  I went from none to plenty. My dad already claimed 1 bottle!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top