Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2023 3:04:49 PM EDT
Wanting something that will last and last, be easy to service and work on,etc.
I only have about half an acre, but I'm also not afraid to buy a commercial mower in case I want to mow the neighbors yards for side money, or even get into mowing for a living if my job shits out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I clicked on this thinking "who the heck is shooting at the OP while he's cutting his grass"
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure what brand is good these days, but I did what you are thinking of doing: bought a commercial lawnmower for our 1/2 acre.  That was 25 years ago.

Just today, I'm doing my first maintenance other than oil changes.  I'm changing tires and belts.  Not bad for 25 years!

Mine's a Yazoo Kees 36" walk behind.  Kawasaki engine.  It's been a beast and makes quick work of the yard.

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a commercially used Scag 36" Hydro WB mower in '98 and sold it in '18. All that it needed during that time was a new butterfly in the carb a couple of years before I sold it.  That thing was built like a Tank.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Riding mower?  For a half acre?  Seriously?
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Who wants to spend an hour and a half push mowing their yard? That's a waste of time.

I have a zero turn for my yard. I can cut my grass in 11 minutes. I cut twice a week in the growing season. That's nearly 3 hours a week saved.

What is your time worth?
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Who wants to spend an hour and a half push mowing their yard? That's a waste of time.

I have a zero turn for my yard. I can cut my grass in 11 minutes. I cut twice a week in the growing season. That's nearly 3 hours a week saved.

What is your time worth?
View Quote

You can mow a couple acres in an hour and a half with a push mower.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Last and last and be easy to work on? A 8N with a finish mower.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe at a dead sprint.
It takes about 2 hours to do my entire yard.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What is your time worth?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your time worth?

Yeah but isn't GD the place where everyone demands the fatties get out and start moving?

What a better way to move than push a mower around for a half acre. Builds strength and endurance along with getting GD out doors and out of the basement.

Zero turns are for fatties and cheeto stained basement incels.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I push mowed my 1/2 acre lot for the first year in 2005.  In 2006, I bought a 38" lawn tractor.  Still use it today.

Could I push-mow the yard?  Yep - but that's all I would do that day; which doesn't cut it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Hustler.

They invented zero turns.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  And if you buy a self propelled "push" mower you just squeeze the handle and walk behind it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Assuming a 21" mower with only 3" overlap (it's usually more than that, standard calcs are based on 20% overlap, professionally), you get 18" per pass. Now, a couple, I'll assume you mean two. So that's over 58,000 linear feet you need to cover. That's exactly 11 miles.

So, you push mow at nearly 8mph?

Cool. There is not a single push mower on the market capable of that.

And that assumes you're not doing inefficient cutting like along mulch beds, corners that are inevitably more than 20% overlap, or obstacles. Or right angle turns which requires deceleration, turning times etc.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

You could ........ if you were 17 but most of us aren't and are way past the need to prove we could to the neighbors or anyone on GD.

It's more fun to ride and listen to some tunes while sippin' on some ice cold vodka.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Troy Bilt Pony that i mow 1/2 acre with. It's a 2005 I bought three years ago for $250 from a neighbor who mowed two yards plus his own. I don't have the throw away money for a commercial mower, even used. I haven't had any problems with parts. I've replaced the battery and steering rod end. Changed oil once. I mow dead slow due to lumbar pain. Two 45 min sessions to get it done. But you be you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hustler.

They invented zero turns.
View Quote

Kawasaki engines are damn good too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What's your time worth is exactly the most important point.  For me, it's worth enough to buy a commercial zero turn and spend the time I save doing other things I really enjoy.  

Besides, having top notch equipment to mow with really takes the work out of it and makes it enjoyable.  For me at least.
View Quote

Exactly where I am as well!
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#21]
New? Deere X758. Used Deere 455.

Zero-turn mower's are for dude's too big to drive a single cab pickup.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Any of the big name zero turns are good to go.
I owned Exmark and Toro for commercial and now have a Kubota z400 series which is an overbuilt homeowner mower. It bridges that gap between homeowner and commercial and still cost $9k
But any of the name mowers will be equal in quality and longevity as long as you stay with Kawasaki motors.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I am having trouble understanding why people mow so much.  Seriously.  I'm not being a troll.  

I grew up on a small acreage.  Parents were born pre-WW2.  We had 5 acres.  Dad had me mowing everything that wasn't trees.  I spent a good part of my youth clearing out blackjack oaks by hand, and replacing with grass.  Fucking why????  

I have my own little acreage and I mow only right around my house.  30 minutes or less with a weedeater.  If I can manage to replace all my existing grass with clover and turkey tangle, I'll never mow again.  It's a colossal waste of time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your time worth?

Maybe a flat yard with no trees, buildings, pipes, and other obstacles. It takes me an hour to mow my 1 acre back yard with a 61" zero turn.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Walker mowers are IMO the best out there. Expensive initial outlay but a quality built unit that will last the life of a homeowner.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Honestly, if you want a Cadillac mower, Deere x700 series. It’s a garden tractor. Tough and strong like back in the day.
If you want a solid mower that is rugged, Deere x500 series.
If you want a mower that is a step down from the x500 series, go with a husqvarna tank 354xd. I have a 348xd and it’s great mowing my .5 acre and pulling a lawn cart, plug aerator, etc.
the x390’s are good too.

You pay more for a Deere but you know you’ll have years of parts availability, attachments, support and etc. plus I think the x390’s are bearing front wheel hubs not bushing like the husqvarna.

Zero turns are not the answer for everyone and they suck in more ways they are good…unless you’re mowing ONLY with it. But a ZT is stupid for a small lot
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes commercial mowers are better.  No, you don't need one.  You have a half acre.  You are the reason residential mowers exist. You would be better off spending the additional money on something else.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I must be doing something wrong. It takes me an hour -plus to mow an acre with a zero turn
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#30]

these old fashion style snappers seemed to go 20+ years. A large rider isn't really needed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a a little more that a quarter acre of mowable grass on my residential lot. I have beenm push mowing it for the last 7 years with a standard 20 inch honda mower thats probably 20 years old+. I was looking at bigger walk behind residential mowers and looked at the Toro 30" timemaster and the cub cadet/craftsman/troybilt 33" residential mowers. I read a bunch of reviews and realized that these are just bigger homeowner mowers and many of them are underpowered for the size that they are. Many complaints. I started looking at commercial walk behind mowers.

I found a used Hustler trimstar 36" that was older (2007) but low hours on it and it was used for a few years by a homeowner before being parked in the garage for many years. I bought it and spent a couple weekends doing full maintainence and learning how it works. Holy moley, this thing is a beast. Kawasaki commercial engine, hydraulic drive - its a full zero turn mower that you walk behind instead of sit on with a thick commercial mowing deck. I did my first cut today and it is very impressive and left a great cut. This should last me a couple of decades of cutting the grass at my house.

See if you can find a used commercial mower, either from a lawn care company that does the maintenance or an individual like I did.

This is the one I have with a full bagger as well:

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I’ve got a 48” Ransomes, it’ll be getting used by my great grandkids.

My father bought a LOADED John Deere. 4x4, diesel, the works.

It was in the shop for MONTHS.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I want a scag walk behind
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your time worth?

Gonna have to call BS on that.

A typical 21" walk behind/push can only do about .5 acre/hour.

Your average box store lawn tractor is only rated for 1.5-2 acres/hour.

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Husqvarna TS 354XD (54") 24HP Kawasaki Garden Tractor

I have the TS 348XD.  Night and day difference between the "big box " mowers and the TS 300 series.  The TS100 & TS200 are more akin to the big box mowers.

Quoted from a previous thread.

Electric locking rear differential keeps both rear tires moving in unison
Provides unmatched traction on inclines and wet, slippery conditions

Pedal-Operated Tuff Torq K66 ELD Hydrostatic Transmission
Automatically adjusts speed for seamless vehicle-like acceleration
16-inch turning radius is ideal for maneuvering in tight yards
More durable and low-maintenance than manual or automatic transmissions

54-Inch Fabricated (Welded) Steel ClearCut™ Deck
Rugged 10-gauge welded steel design
6 height-of-cut settings ranging from 1" - 4" to choose from
6 anti-scalp wheels to prevent scalping on uneven terrain
3 mower blades with greaseable mandrels and washout port

Deck Washout Port
Keep the grass clippings in the yard and out of your storage area
Simply connect a garden hose to the mower deck and rinse away

Brushguard Included
Protects the heart of your mower - the engine
A must-have for those looking to operate in close quarters

Balance & Stability
Features a cast-iron front axle and dual draglinks
Provides a better overall balance and tighter turning radius

3 Year Bumper 2 Bumper Warranty
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Beats me, I had several 18 to 22hp riding mowers (two  murrys and one cub cadet) that only lasted several years apiece before the decks and suspensions wore out and started falling apart, the engines and transmissions still ran great though.

But I live on a rural acreage, figured the riding mowers cost several grand apiece and didn't last too long, they were made for town grass not prairie & buffalo head grass,

I'd be better off buying a tractor like my family had when I was a kid on the farm/ranch,

So in 06' I bought a 35hp Kubota with fel, brushhog, box blade, auger and 18' hd trailer,

I brushhog my yard bout every 3 weeks regular, when get lots of rain regular the Bermuda grass I planted in front of house and the tall prairie and buffalo head grass makes it every other week if not weekly.

Yesterday I brush hogged  the front yard for 2nd time this year, get around to the back yard too the next time.

This morning dug 25 full fel bucket loads of dirt out of the bar ditch along the private roadway south of my driveway then dressed it a bit with the box blade so when it does rain the water flowing through my 24" tinhorn goes down the ditch and not across the road.

The blade works well for grading the road and driveway when needed too, all the stuff couldn't do with riding mowers.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You could ........ if you were 17 but most of us aren't and are way past the need to prove we could to the neighbors or anyone on GD.

It's more fun to ride and listen to some tunes while sippin' on some ice cold vodka.
View Quote

This ^^^^  guy gets it!!!  LOL  Oh and to the OP Love my Ferris with the independent suspension.  Its awesome.  tunes and a cold drink.  Makes mowing something I look forward to!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File

It used to take me over an hour to push mow my yard. Now I can finish mowing in under 20 minutes.

Lazy?

Pfft…

Gives me more time for this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought a John Deere X300 in 2009 as a replacement for the one I lost in Ike in '08.  I am on my 3rd deck because I don't spend a lot of time cleaning it off when done cutting.  The hood finally cracked enough this year to fully pull the top half off.

All that said, it just runs.  It has a Kawasaki motor and hydro trans and it just runs.  A new deck with spindles and blades is ~$800.  I have gotten 15 years from it and abused the shit out of it.  Cut about 1/3 acre lot in the city.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Lots of good brands out there, but if you look at what the pros use,, its EXMARK  I have a 2011 with about 150 hrs on it, never once even the slightest problem other than replaced the battery once.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not sure what brand is good these days, but I did what you are thinking of doing: bought a commercial lawnmower for our 1/2 acre.  That was 25 years ago.

Just today, I'm doing my first maintenance other than oil changes.  I'm changing tires and belts.  Not bad for 25 years!

Mine's a Yazoo Kees 36" walk behind.  Kawasaki engine.  It's been a beast and makes quick work of the yard.

View Quote

We had a Yazoo mower forever. Before they were yazoo kees. Had ait cooled Wisconsin engine. One tire under the seat for zero turn. Found out they went out of business looking for a belt. Best mower ever. Had it 25 years plus some.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your time worth?

tell me you don't live in the south without telling me you don't live in the south.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

We had a Yazoo mower forever. Before they were yazoo kees. Had ait cooled Wisconsin engine. One tire under the seat for zero turn. Found out they went out of business looking for a belt. Best mower ever. Had it 25 years plus some.
View Quote

Funny.  It took me a long time searching to find the right belt.  82” long and Napa had it.  Just finished putting it on this afternoon!
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#44]

The Toro will do an acre in a little over 5 minutes

The Ferris will do an acre of leaves in about the same time if you have a place to blow them to.

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I am having trouble understanding why people mow so much.  Seriously.  I'm not being a troll.  
View Quote

Same with anything else. For some people a nice looking yard is important, for others it could be a nice car, good teeth, nice clothes, good food etc., etc..

A nice yard can be a selling point for someone who also appreciates a nice yard. If I was looking for a new home and the yard was shit as well as the neighbors it'd probably be a deal breaker because I wouldn't want to be the recipient of all my neighbors weed seeds.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I bought a Bad Boy 4 seasons ago and have been really happy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your time worth?

In Texas? Yes.

In North Carolina? No way.

My grass is ridiculously thick here compared to when I lived in Texas.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What is your time worth?
View Quote

This is wisdom.  The only level-up past this is hiring a crew.  0 touch > 0 turn.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top