Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/13/2024 9:42:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 14BoltFF]
2nd-gen (1995). I saw it listed online at a dealership as a trade-in. I watched the price of this thing drop gradually over the past couple weeks from $2500. Once it dropped to $1000, I went and took a look even though it has every negative attribute you could ask for in a 4Runner. It's gross inside. It has a "Salt Life" sticker embarrassingly displayed across the windshield. It's only a 2WD. It's leaking some type(s) of oil at the front of the engine on the passenger side. It has the 3.0 V6 with a miss or two instead of the 22RE.

But... Everything works except the A/C and the body is magnificently rust-free (looks like a typical older southern vehicle underneath). The frame is pretty good, too - just some surface rust in some spots. The engine oil is all oil and not the oil/coolant mix from a bad head gasket. All the windows open and close, including the rear window and the sunroof. It runs and drives (and stops). The only burnt out light is the third brake light. I basically offered auction cost and the dealer agreed.

I didn't need this turd, but I wanted it. I have an intermittent side hobby of buying old cheap turds and cleaning them and fixing them up to the point where people start offering to buy them off of me.

I'll be picking it up later this week. I think I'll trailer it to be safe. Wish me luck!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Re-build thread?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Guaranteed there's a bag of weed somewhere in there.

Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Aren’t the ones with no front diff called 2Runners?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#4]
So MIDCAP has several different names....................
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice!  I'm surprised it didn't sell locally.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
View Quote

I had a friend who owned one briefly.

He took a TRD sticker and added a 'U'.   It was indeed a turd.... all of the 4Runner disadvantages, but without the main advantage.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Needs a 14 bolt rear and Dana 60 front axle.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

You’d think so, right?

You’d also think an SR5 with a 4-speed auto would be an SR4, huh?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Plenty of 4x4 donors out there. Give it a makeover.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Not bad. Didn't have that specific engine in our lineup Lexus side, but I was told the nic name for that V6 was the slip-n-slide. Cause you always had to slip and slide new head gaskets in.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
View Quote

Everyone here had to know that I just think he sometimes forgets to switch accounts. Sometimes it is like eight different people posting.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sakohntr:
View Quote

I wouldn't even have to source a transfer case crossmember - apparently Toyota installed them on both the 4x4 and 4x2 models as I learned today while drawling underneath this one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Square66:
Needs a 14 bolt rear and Dana 60 front axle.
View Quote

... and a LS swap!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
View Quote

Nah. I like skinny women and I don't have the 'beetus. No insult intended toward Midcap!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
View Quote

I was hoping somebody would so that I wouldn't buy another project to have to work on.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:13:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#17]
I know the V6's sucked but at least they'd get out of their own way.  The 22R was just too underpowered for an almost mid-sized SUV.  I remember when those would come through the shop 20 year ago and more than once, the client would complain about a lack of power.  If it felt like it had a clogged cat, it had a 22R.  It's amazing people bought them with the 22R.   I say good buy.  It's probably already had a set of head gaskets if it's still breathing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:15:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JeepersCreepers] [#18]
View Quote

I see you didn't look at the interior pics.

I bet that thing smells like a middle school locker room after football practice in August.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By JeepersCreepers:

I bet that thing smells like a middle school locker room after football practice in August.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JeepersCreepers:

I thought for sure it was going to smell like a rotting corpse inside. It was sunny and 80 degrees today when I looked at it. Surprisingly, there was no noticeable odor.
It never ceases to amaze me how people can be such slobs, especially when it comes to their vehicles.

This thing should clean up relatively nicely - it's mostly just dirt and dust inside. I'll likely toss the factory floor mats and put Husky Liners or Weathertech mats in it after I give it a good steam cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Part it out.     The turbo is worth what u paid for it.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 14BoltFF:

I thought for sure it was going to smell like a rotting corpse inside. It was sunny and 80 degrees today when I looked at it. Surprisingly, there was no noticeable odor.
It never ceases to amaze me how people can be such slobs, especially when it comes to their vehicles.

This thing should clean up relatively nicely - it's mostly just dirt and dust inside. I'll likely toss the factory floor mats and put Husky Liners or Weathertech mats in it after I give it a good steam cleaning.
View Quote

What kind of equipment are using for the steam clean?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Sweet. Good score. Nice side hustle too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Looking nice!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Tons and forties or go home.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I have been watching the price of a 2runner go down also. It is a few years newer and has the 3.4 v6. Was looking for a older 2wd small truck but everybody thinks they are made of gold.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice.

Have 2000 with the 3.4 and manual.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Oddly enough I paid that amount for my kiddo's Highlander.  It needed a knock sensor, an O2 sensor, and front brakes.  It's been an amazing first car for her.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#28]
LS swap candidate?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#29]
$900 down and a Co-Signer and I'll let it go for ,,,$2600 plus a $250 credit ap fee.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I would have bought it, too!

I looked at a '02 2wd a couple weeks ago for my 15yr old.  Body looked great, but there was a lot of fluid on the underside of the transmission pan (couldn't quite tell if it was oil or trans fluid).  All it had was the phone number on the "For Sale" sign, so I took a chance and called the owner....320k miles and they wanted $5k.  I politely passed.

Not to get off subject, but why do people do this?  Why not put all that information on the for sale sign, and let it weed out folks who either aren't interested due to the price or the mileage?  I don't like dealing with people enough to have 87 folks a day call me asking the exact same questions.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Drive that thing like your 90 year old grandmother and do the maintenance and it will last forever.  Not a fan of the 3 point slow, they are notorious for heads and head gasket issues.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:12:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 14BoltFF] [#32]

What kind of equipment are using for the steam clean?
View Quote

A standard household Hoover steam cleaner. The last beater I bought that I'm currently driving had a slightly less gross interior. I soaked the floor and seats in carpet stain remover and let it sit. A couple applications with the steam cleaner cleaned everything up nicely.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I’ve spent more on worse.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:57:23 AM EDT
[#34]
2 Wheel Drive and Automatic transmission ? WHY?
A Crown Vic or GrandMarquis would make a LOT more sense for cheap road car.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:49:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Nice! How many miles?

Sign up over at toyota-4runner.org and you’ll get all the info and help you need fixing her up. It’s the arfcom of the 4Runner world
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:01:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Positronic:
View Quote
Wait, wut??
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:44:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chukar] [#37]
Ohio getto crusier?
Rusted frame, brake,  fuel lines?
Dirty Mike and the boys doing nasty stuff?
Good luck...
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:55:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Truly a nice find. Congrats.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:40:19 AM EDT
[#39]
I'll give u 800 rn
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:40:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Cool. I miss mine even though it had two engines with bad head gaskets. And slow with poor mileage. Still loved it. The exhaust smelled like spent gunpowder when coolant was hitting the converter. I blame the feds for banning asbestos. There wasn’t anything else that would last with the different Al/Fe thermal expansion back then.

I’ve read they really wake up with ported heads and higher performance cams are a waste. Also it’s easy to swap to a bigger engine with 2wd. Can’t remember what’s ideal. I still have a 3.4 and it’s faster but not fast enough to be worthwhile. A 4.7 2UZ or even a 4.0 1UZ would be really fun if it fit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:26:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Positronic:
View Quote

Link to rust-free Crown Vic in the OH/PA/WV area that runs and drives for $600?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:28:39 AM EDT
[#42]
4Runners are fine vehicles.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By NY12ga:
Nice! How many miles?

Sign up over at toyota-4runner.org and you’ll get all the info and help you need fixing her up. It’s the arfcom of the 4Runner world
View Quote

I think it's at 247,000 ish. Thanks for the reference!
I've purchased, fixed-up, and daily driven many high-mileage vehicles just for the hell of it. So far my odds have been pretty good with not getting a dud.
I think it helps that I don't buy anything with rust.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#44]
You're right OP,  it's a rolling turd. Disgusting inside lol
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By masterofpew:
You're right OP,  it's a rolling turd. Disgusting inside lol
View Quote

Yes. Butt-crack nasty inside. I can't imagine treating any of my vehicles the way some disgusting trashy people do.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By sakohntr:
View Quote

That would be my plan. Great find and price.

We had a 93 4wd also stick shift.

Same motor, 3.0, went over 300k with routine maintenance. Body fell apart, but still sold it for 1500 (2015) to a guy who wanted the drive train and 4wd.

I would love to find one like that and have a project.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Lexustech48:
Not bad. Didn't have that specific engine in our lineup Lexus side, but I was told the nic name for that V6 was the slip-n-slide. Cause you always had to slip and slide new head gaskets in.
View Quote

I had a 4x4 version of this, and we called the engine 3.slow.  It was way underpowered.  The automatics were even worse--at least with a manual you could run the engine the best way possible.

Good in you OP--should be a fun project for sure.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Older 4runners are the new jeep cherokees around here.

I know that bad boy smells like cigarettes and stale mountain dew.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#49]
2nd gen 2Runner a good buy at $500.

Unfortunately 2nd gens are not as present at pull-a-part yards these days, so projects like 4x4 conversion and other parts-bin upgrades won't be quite as easy as a 3rd gen or other, but should be a fun project.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:25:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By QUACK32:
I have been watching the price of a 2runner go down also. It is a few years newer and has the 3.4 v6. Was looking for a older 2wd small truck but everybody thinks they are made of gold.
View Quote
I was talking to a guy that daily drives an 80's Toyota pickup. He has people constantly offering to buy it at traffic lights. They are made of gold based on nostalgia. A decent hardbody Nissan, even S10's, are up there if it's not a total shit show.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top