Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2018 9:06:40 PM EDT
My options ran out due to an injury keeping me from meeting employment criteria.  I am close to retirement age but planned on getting a couple of years more in before actually retiring and collecting Social Security.  With 13.5 years of service I got a nice severance check but don't want to p*ss it away on bills and such so I'm looking for work.  After that once the Social Security checks start coming in along with my two retirements I won't have any monetary issues other than the usual.

But the thing that kind of gets me is the lack of official ID that has allowed me so many years of attending events like SHOT Show (ATAC) Range Day and other LE events like conventions and trade shows that I still have so much interest in.  My employer didn't issue me any type of medical release card and my union doesn't have a retired officer card either.  It kind of leaves a hole in my psyche not being part of that "thing" that we do.

Oh well, just needed to say it.  My wife wouldn't understand.

Thanks!
The MULE
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you go part time somewhere else or do reserves
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#2]
You should still qualify for LEOSA, or does your department not believe in that?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a firearms instructor license, get an FFL go to the Shot Show.  Make friends with a FFL dealer they get more than one pass to get into the SS.   With a degree you can teach CJ at a high school.  Start a security consulting business.  Look at govt contractor  jobs for LE.  I saw a good one at San Antonio for working at the USAF base at their armory.  Going to LE games require active or retired credentials to compete so it can suck if you were left with no creds.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Explain this to your employer and ask that he carry you on the books as a "consultant" so you can keep your employment credentials for access to the shows and events that your employment gave you access to.

If he's a decent guy this should be no trouble at all.

The worst that can happen is he can say no.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to all for the thoughtful replies.

I am already hooked up with an FFL so entry to SHOT isn't a problem but getting into the range day activities is, likewise with Arms Expos shows.

My employer doesn't support LEOSA and believe me I've tried.

My previous employer is a .gov contractor and I do have some connections in sister companies that may help out for me as far as future employment.  
I am currently trying to get employment in their EM or EOC areas, we'll see how that goes.

Thanks again!
The MULE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top