Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2024 3:27:24 PM EDT
and I was both surprised and very happy. I am not Catholic but he was essentially agnostic for a long, long time after drifting away and I'm very grateful he has found a place. My wife and I went to Mass with him and I talked to him for a while afterward, it was great to hear him talking about why he's there now.

That's all, I just wanted to share.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent!! Good to hear OP.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a Catholic who was lapsed for decades and finally found his way back to Christ.  I'm happy for your friend.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:53:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#3]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:40:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#4]
No, because where he grew up the service was more practical life lessons than teaching Scripture, the pastor wears plain clothes to not stand out, etc.

The Mass I attended was filled with reverence not the “Jesus is my homie” attitude that’s infected a lot of places today. The structure and attitude is very close to what I’m used to and I enjoyed it. We’ll visit each other on occasion.

Thanks for asking though.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
A very good step for your friend.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Glory to Jesus Christ
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By King_Mud:
No, because where he grew up the service was more practical life lessons than teaching Scripture, the pastor wears plain clothes to not stand out, etc.

The Mass I attended was filled with reverence not the “Jesus is my homie” attitude that’s infected a lot of places today. The structure and attitude is very close to what I’m used to and I enjoyed it. We’ll visit each other on occasion.

View Quote

Since you mentioned adhering to scripture, where in the Word does it mention a dress code? Where does it mention a hierarchy within the church, that you can't have a personal relationship with Jesus and you need to confess your sins to a man on earth?

I won't even expand on how sprinkling some water on a new born isn't baptism.

I'm glad your friend is interested in having a relationship with Jesus but Catholicism isn't that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Need4Guns:

Since you mentioned adhering to scripture, where in the Word does it mention a dress code? Where does it mention a hierarchy within the church, that you can't have a personal relationship with Jesus and you need to confess your sins to a man on earth?

I'm glad your friend is interested in having a relationship with Jesus but Catholicism isn't that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If you don’t understand the significance of priestly vestments that’s fine. I believe that clergy should be set apart and the donning of the vestments carries a lot more with it than simply not choosing a t-shirt.

Likewise, if you don’t believe in paedobaptism as part of covenantal theology that’s fine too. My sons have been baptized into the Church as infants.

I will say that there is a lot more to it than a “personal relationship” and when people see that it resonates with them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]

If you don’t understand the significance of priestly vestments that’s fine. I believe that clergy should be set apart and the donning of the vestments carries a lot more with it than simply not choosing a t-shirt.

Likewise, if you don’t believe in paedobaptism as part of covenantal theology that’s fine too. My sons have been baptized into the Church as infants.

I will say that there is a lot more to it than a “personal relationship” and when people see that it resonates with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I strongly dislike the term "personal relationship" as it implies some have a personal relationship with Christ, and others do not.

The fact is, EVERYONE has a relationship with Christ, whether they know/like it or not. God is everywhere, and in all things.

Jeremiah 23:23-24

23“Am I a God near at hand,” says the Lord,
“And not a God afar off?
24Can anyone hide himself in secret places,
So I shall not see him?” says the Lord;
“Do I not fill heaven and earth?” says the Lord.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#10]
He chose wisely.  Welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:37:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#11]

View Quote

We can discuss all this elsewhere if you’re willing to, but this isn’t the thread for it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:39:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Congratulations to your friend, OP!  It’s a beautiful thing!

I went Methodist - Agnostic/Atheist - Catholic.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Glory to Jesus forever. Your friend Blessed.

Keep in your prayers that others find their way.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats to your friend.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Praise God, from whom all blessings flow!

On behalf of 1,390,000,000 other Catholics, we say:

"WELCOME HOME!"
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Anastasios:

I strongly dislike the term "personal relationship" as it implies some have a personal relationship with Christ, and others do not.

The fact is, EVERYONE has a relationship with Christ, whether they know/like it or not. God is everywhere, and in all things.

Jeremiah 23:23-24

23“Am I a God near at hand,” says the Lord,
“And not a God afar off?
24Can anyone hide himself in secret places,
So I shall not see him?” says the Lord;
“Do I not fill heaven and earth?” says the Lord.
View Quote

Not all have a relationship with Christ because not all seek a relationship with Christ.

Christ offers His hand. Not all seek to grasp it.

It's our job to direct them to that hand, but not all will listen.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Gullskjegg:

We can discuss all this elsewhere if you’re willing to, but this isn’t the thread for it.
View Quote

Start a thread and I'll be there.

Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:31:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#19]
No idea what happened there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top