BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bamaflinger:
You assholes can argue over nevertrumping and beans all you want.  Leave AJ out of this shit.
View Quote
Well stated
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SW-14:

Lol do you realize that song is a critique of people “going country” just to make money, and not his actual views?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Boomer:
So how do long term Southerners feel about Alan Jackson?

Lol do you realize that song is a critique of people “going country” just to make money, and not his actual views?

Honestly, no, I never thought about it that way. Or thought about it much at all, to be honest. But it makes sense.

On the surface, it sounds like he is insulting the intelligence of Southerners. And that’s why I was curious how he is perceived.

For many other respondents and the record, I like his music and have several of his songs in my rotation, including this one. Glad I started this thread, I learned something new.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Who?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:03:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sandbowl1980] [#4]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
Wait, so are you insinuating that it wasn’t backward to own people, then later segregate people and restrict civil rights based on their skin complexion?

Because I’m fairly certain that’s the “backward” old Alan is referring to. It’s sort of indefensible… But I’m sure someone here will try, because it’s GD after all.
View Quote

Race baiting post here.

Have you listened to rap and other music and what they say.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:
Fuck that guy.

I'm from Texas and lived there most of my life. I only moved here a few years ago. I'm a "long term" southerner, for sure, if 40 years counts as "long term."
View Quote

And now you are a meshugana, errr, Michigander?

Always wondered if it was an accident those two sounded so much alike.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've spent my entire life in the deep south. I was born and raised in the Mississippi Delta, so I don't think you can get any more southern than that. Alan Jackson is fine with me. He has some really good music.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Alan is legit. When some live show forced him to lip sync, he instructed his drummer to not use sticks in protest
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#8]
what the hell did he use his finger for when he lost the universal joint
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like he is cool according to what I'm hearing.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Johnny_Utah_88:
View Quote

To hitchhike.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
So what did I miss?
View Quote

Would anyone like Alan to call him?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I do like Alan Jackson.

Alan Jackson - Drive (For Daddy Gene) (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#13]
One of the best song writers of all time, he’s the real deal.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Hitching a ride. Jesus you smart people have the common sense god gave an animal cracker.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

lol THIS
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
Country music is just farm emo.
View Quote

redneck rap
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Alan Jackson is peak America.  God bless that man.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I lived in the same town he is from..If I ever met him I don't remember.. I met his sister she was nice. She told me who she was .
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not familiar with that song, but I've never liked Alan Jackson. His voice annoys me, and he's the epitome of 'pop-country' IMO. His music literally sounds like a parody of country music.

This is like old-school James Bond fans insulting the Austin Powers films.

Originally Posted By SteveOak:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteveOak:
Fuck that guy.

I'm from Texas and lived there most of my life. I only moved here a few years ago. I'm a "long term" southerner, for sure, if 40 years counts as "long term."

I am not, and I have no intention of adapting. This place doesn't suit me, and I'll leave as soon as it's feasible.

I could bash the state, but I'm getting bored of that now. I'll just say I dream of the day I leave.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Alan Jackson - Good Time (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:06:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: weagle] [#21]
Lived my entire life in GA (62 years).  Family goes back to 1700's.

Alan Jackson is what we refer to as good people.

Gone Country is a song about Yankees and liberal left coasters adopting a southern lifestyle because they realize their lifestyle is hopeless and depressing.

He has a lot of great, authentic country music.  

I was chasin' sun on 101
Somewhere around Ventura
I lost a universal joint and I had to use my finger
This tall lady stopped and asked
If I had plans for dinner
Said no thanks ma'am, back home
We like the girls that sing soprano

"Where I Come From" - Alan Jackson (Lyrics in description)
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#22]
We like Alan Jackson.

I'm just afew months younger than him. Been listening to him since he got started.

Not sure why folks are getting the Red Asszzz so hard about him.

His music spoke/speaks to alot of working folks, especially in the South.

This one could be about ms gamboolgals father....
Alan Jackson - Small Town Southern Man (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
So what did I miss?
View Quote

I'll go on loving you when it's midnight in Montgomery.

Signed
Alabama
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I like his music.  The only song I really don’t like is the one about the Chattahoochee.  Hell, I don’t even know if I spelled it right.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:33:37 PM EDT
[#25]
AJ is alright in my book, even if he's from Newnan..
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#26]
And here I always thought he was singing "I hear down there they've changed to C, they're not as backwards as they used to be"  

I guess because in the previous line he's saying something about writing songs that sound like Dylan.  I thought they were trying to say they used to play music tuned to an odd or uncommon musical note, but now that they have changed to C, it sounds more like other popular music.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:35:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:40:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Pick up truck sob story emo.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:57:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 30calTBLkid] [#29]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:28:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pawcatch] [#30]
I'm 41 and I have lived in Georgia all my life and my sister currently lives across the street from thigpen road where Alan Jackson and his father used to dump trash.
I honestly loved some of his songs, but I never really cared for Alan personally because he struck me as a little too low key. He never really hit the "rural lifestyle " buttons that I like such as hunting, fishing ,drinking natty ice like Hank Williams jr. did.
In fact, I've pretty much switched to hick hop because artists like Colt Ford are far more conservative and represents the rural lifestyle far more,imo.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By sarge38624:

To hitchhike.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:53:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DerekL:

Hitching a ride. Jesus you smart people have the common sense god gave an animal cracker.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Pav56C:
Alan is legit. When some live show forced him to lip sync, he instructed his drummer to not use sticks in protest
View Quote

Alan Jackson "Gone Country" live at the 1994 ACM Awards
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By GopherKiller:
In case it went over your head, which for many of you it apparently did, Alan is making fun of Pop people who cashed in on country during the 90s boom.  Each stanza is him impersonating another carpet-bagger telling their spouse that country music is easy, we can move there and will be okay because those Southerners aren't near as retarded as they used to be, etc....

He is a BIG defender of traditional country music.  Listen to his song about Murder on Music Row with King George....another big critic of the woke, pop-rap-country bs....
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#35]

That's funny, because he made a career of making highly-processed pop-country music with a fake accent... and butchering blues songs. He did it earlier, but that doesn't make his cheesy music any better.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GopherKiller:
In case it went over your head, which for many of you it apparently did, Alan is making fun of Pop people who cashed in on country during the 90s boom.  Each stanza is him impersonating another carpet-bagger telling their spouse that country music is easy, we can move there and will be okay because those Southerners aren't near as retarded as they used to be, etc....

He is a BIG defender of traditional country music.  Listen to his song about Murder on Music Row with King George....another big critic of the woke, pop-rap-country bs....

That's funny, because he made a career of making highly-processed pop-country music with a fake accent... and butchering blues songs. He did it earlier, but that doesn't make his cheesy music any better.

His background is actually in gospel and bluegrass.  But in typical fashion of the time if he wanted to make the big bucks he had “polish” his sound to get the attention of record producers.  

He’s got great vocals and can carry a tune without the help of all the modern digital processing crap.  Somewhat of a rarity in today’s music.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#36]
GD will be contrarian just because.

But I like Alan Jackson, he makes good music. Remember When might be my favorite.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Instructions unclear.  Currently bent over and stuck under the truck with finger in the air, and here comes Bubba who just shot the jukebox.  Advise how to proceed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#38]
He has one of the best voices in country music.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Alan Jackson was raised as country as you can get.

Midnight in Montgomery sends chills up my back.
Alan Jackson - Midnight in Montgomery (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Honestly, no, I never thought about it that way. Or thought about it much at all, to be honest. But it makes sense.

On the surface, it sounds like he is insulting the intelligence of Southerners. And that’s why I was curious how he is perceived.

For many other respondents and the record, I like his music and have several of his songs in my rotation, including this one. Glad I started this thread, I learned something new.
View Quote

from Wiki...

"Gone Country" served as a commentary on the country music scene, illustrating three examples of other singers (a lounge singer in Las Vegas from Long Island, New York; a folk rocker in Greenwich Village; and a "serious composer schooled in voice and composition" who commutes to L.A. from the San Fernando Valley), all of whom find that their respective careers are failing, and as a result, they decide to begin performing country music instead. Alan Jackson said about the song: "Bob McDill wrote this and he is one of my favorite writers of all time. When I first heard this song I fell in love with it. I wish that I'd written it cause it says a lot of things that I'd like to say. I think it's just a fun song actually, celebrating how country music has become more widespread and accepted by all types of people all over the country."
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm not familiar with that song, but I've never liked Alan Jackson. His voice annoys me, and he's the epitome of 'pop-country' IMO. His music literally sounds like a parody of country music.

I am not, and I have no intention of adapting. This place doesn't suit me, and I'll leave as soon as it's feasible.

I could bash the state, but I'm getting bored of that now. I'll just say I dream of the day I leave.
View Quote

Good Lord man, educate yourself.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:08:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: explodingvarmints] [#42]
I can tell you that Mr. Jackson has never been to Alabama if he believed that "not as backwards" part to be true.  Good Lord the amount of mouth breathers I met down there. . . astonishing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By redfish86:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By redfish86:

Enlighten me, oh educated one. What's incorrect here? I get that many of y'all like the pop-country from the radio, and Sony/Arista/EMI told you it's good, but it's lame and cheesy. Alan Jackson is the captain of that lame, cheesy, pop-music-with-a-twang crap from the 90s sound.

Just because you like the pop-country from 20 years ago more than the pop-country from now doesn't make it any better. It just means you think the era you grew up in was 'peak ____' just like 99% of humans.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By GAcop:
I'm a few years younger than Alan and didn't hang around with his group but I remember when he waited tables at Sprayberry's Barbecue and sold cars at the Ford dealer here. Used to drive by his house everyday on the way home and my mother and his were good friends. Oh, my wife rear ended his dad's pickup on day when he was turning into his driveway without using his blinker.   I like his music.
View Quote

Didn't his grandmother drive around Newnan in the yellow/white bel air?

I believe his aunt and uncle owned the feed store in Newnan.

He seems genuine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

That’s your problem. You’re too fixated on what is on the surface.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Pawcatch:
I'm 41 and I have lived in Georgia all my life and my sister currently lives across the street from thigpen road where Alan Jackson and his father used to dump trash.
I honestly loved some of his songs, but I never really cared for Alan personally because he struck me as a little too low key. He never really hit the "rural lifestyle " buttons that I like such as hunting, fishing ,drinking natty ice like Hank Williams jr. did.
In fact, I've pretty much switched to hick hop because artists like Colt Ford are far more conservative and represents the rural lifestyle far more,imo.
View Quote

Natty fucking ice?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Coweta_Redneck:

He seems genuine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Coweta_Redneck:
Originally Posted By GAcop:
I'm a few years younger than Alan and didn't hang around with his group but I remember when he waited tables at Sprayberry's Barbecue and sold cars at the Ford dealer here. Used to drive by his house everyday on the way home and my mother and his were good friends. Oh, my wife rear ended his dad's pickup on day when he was turning into his driveway without using his blinker.   I like his music.

He seems genuine.
I didn't know his grandmother but I remember her driving around in that yellow and white Bel-Air, I think is was a '57 that she bought new.

As far as his aunt and uncle owning the feed store, it's possible but I never knew that Neal Jackson was related to Alan. Neal and Nell owned Newnan Seed store for years, Nell worked with my mom at Sears for a long time. I'm still good friends with their son, If I see him I'll ask him.

As far as people saying Alan's accent is fake, they're full of shit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Oh, FFS. I will never understand some of you motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

I’m not saying that you are wrong…. And it’s pretty cool that the song is something of a double entendre with multiple interpretations.

But come on, it’s Top 40 country music.

What next? A deep dive into a Taylor Swift song?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top