Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2019 11:27:09 PM EDT
I want to buy a rack.

I'm debating between two very similar racks.  They're both 3x3 11 gauge with 1" holes.  Neither has westside spacing.

This one is 36" depth, but has a crossmember at the bottom so not completely walkthrough:
Click To View Spoiler

This one is 30" depth, but does not have a crossmember at the bottom so it is walkthrough:
Click To View Spoiler

How important is it for a rack to be walkthrough?  Is that bottom crossmember going to get in my way, realistically?

Am I going to care about 30" versus 36" depth?  I'm 6'5", if that matters.  I know others, like a Rogue I was looking at, is only 24".

Is the lack of westside spacing going to suck?  I can get either of those racks above locally, saving a lot on shipping.  The most similar rack I can find that also has westside spacing is a Rogue RM-4, which will cost me about double before it's all over.

Should I be worried about resale?  If I spent the extra money on a Rogue vs. the chinese import one that I can get locally, would I expect to get enough back, when I sell, to make a difference?  I ask because I may be moving to a house with higher ceilings in a few years, and if I do then I'd get a taller rack at that point.  I'm limited by 8' ceilings here, which I can touch flat-footed.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 4:02:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Resale value aside, it boils down to whether or not you're willing and/or able to bolt it down.

The walk-through will give you the ability to place any bench in position to do seated overhead presses off the rear uprights, which you'll have to do since your ceilings aren't high enough to do them standing. It will have to be bolted down though, for lateral stability.

The rack with the lower crossbar may or may not need to be bolted down for stability, but the crossbar may create an issue with bench selection and placement as it will have to straddle the crossbar to get into the correct position for overhead/incline bench press. It could also conceivably be an issue with regards to getting under the bar for squats, depending on the length of the bar hooks. You could always just work off the front uprights, though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I would get one without a front crossmember and bolt it down to the floor or a platform for the reasons stated above -- ability to position the bench wherever you need to. I was debating between the 24" and 36" Titans and I'm glad I got the 36". 30" may be enough though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I got a Titan T3 tack that was 30" deep because I didn't think the extra space would make a difference. But now that I've had it a while, I wish I'd got the 36" deep. it just feels a little tight when working out inside of it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#4]
That crossmember is a deal killer for me. It's in the way for multiple reasons. While Westside spacing isn't 100% required it is real nice for getting your safeties at exactly the height you need when benching without clinking at the bottom.

If you're going to buy chinese, Titan has free shipping so you're not really saving on that buying locally.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Resale value aside, it boils down to whether or not you're willing and/or able to bolt it down.

The walk-through will give you the ability to place any bench in position to do seated overhead presses off the rear uprights, which you'll have to do since your ceilings aren't high enough to do them standing. It will have to be bolted down though, for lateral stability.

The rack with the lower crossbar may or may not need to be bolted down for stability, but the crossbar may create an issue with bench selection and placement as it will have to straddle the crossbar to get into the correct position for overhead/incline bench press. It could also conceivably be an issue with regards to getting under the bar for squats, depending on the length of the bar hooks. You could always just work off the front uprights, though.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]
The back of my rack is pretty close to the wall, I almost never have a need to walk through it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Power rack.

Link Posted: 5/9/2019 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I have Rogue R-3. It is 24" inside. I never need it to be any bigger.

And I think the crossmember would be in the way for bench.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I drilled mine to Rogues Infinity line 2x3 tube with Westside spacing. There is no reason to go with 1" bolts other than looks.
A lower cross brace would be in the way for my bench, pass on it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#10]
If anyone here has a Rogue Monster rack (3x3) can you do a measurement for me?

I'm looking for the actual hole diameter of the nominal 1" holes.  I'm guessing it's 1 1/16", but I'm not sure.

Trying to determine if I can buy a Rogue accessory for my rack.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#11]
No crossmember.

36"..... What else do you plan on doing inside of it?  Some sort of gay spotting...?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm looking for the actual hole diameter of the nominal 1" holes.  I'm guessing it's 1 1/16", but I'm not sure.

View Quote
My holes are 5/8 on my R3.

But actually about a 32nd bigger if that helps.

The pins that go in the holes are exactly 5/8
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Rogue uses standard machining practices. My Infinity 2x3 tube pattern rack was drilled with 21/32" drill bit. It fits all of their 5/8" bolt size accessories.
Rogue 1" rack holes would be drilled with a 1 1/32" drill for a "free fit".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top