Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2018 11:44:19 AM EDT
My 457 funds are currently in four different investments. I hate seeing the fees I'm paying these funds in my quarterly statements. When i read about the funds I do not really understand the fees/overhead. can someone look at the below listed investments and tell me which have the highest fees and which have the lowest fees?

Vanguard Target Retirement 2035 Trust II

Blackrock Equity Index - Collective F

Vanguard Madcap Index Ins

Fidelity OTC K

They are listed in total value most to least FWIW.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Check to see if you can roll it over into a personal IRA account at a brokerage, then you have
access to a wide range of low fee investments.

https://www.cdcfcu.com/articles/dollars-and-sense/deferred-compensation-governmental-457-plan-rollo.aspx

"If you have a 457 deferred compensation plan with a government employer, "
"you are now eligible to roll over distributions tax free to a traditional IRA, as "
"well as to a 401(k), 403(b), or 457 governmental plan that accepts rollovers. "
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Why did you chose those 4 funds in particular? Blackrock equity index for instance tracks the S&P 500, which is already contained within the total stock market fund within the Vanguard target date fund. It’s redundant, unless you are intentionally overweighting areas?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why did you chose those 4 funds in particular? Blackrock equity index for instance tracks the S&P 500, which is already contained within the total stock market fund within the Vanguard target date fund. It’s redundant, unless you are intentionally overweighting areas?
View Quote
I have no idea what I'm doing.I think i bought into blackrock because they held a lot of ruger stock or some other silly reason.   If i have two redundant funds then i would want to get out of the one with higher fees.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The # you are looking for is the “expense ratio”:  it is the % of assets invested that the fund charges you to administer the fund.

Generally speaking:

1.  Vanguard has about the lowest fees for any given fund type.
2.  Index funds have lower fees (like the target fund and the midcap fund).
3.  “Specialty” funds, like your OTC fund, tend to have higher expense ratios.

The problem in a plan is you often don’t have more than one of any given fund type so you don’t have much choice with respect to pick one with a low(er) expense ratio.
View Quote
Okay, thanks.

The Vanguard Mid Cap is the lower expense ratio at .05%

The Fidelity OTC K is the highest at .7%

Should i get out of the Fidelity OTC K? Ive only got about $10,500.00 in that one and I've actually lost money in that one this year.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Okay, thanks.

The Vanguard Mid Cap is the lower expense ratio at .02%

The Fidelity OTC K is the highest at .7%

Should i get out of the Fidelity OTC K? Ive only got about $10,500.00 in that one and I've actually lost money in that one this year.
View Quote
Most asset classes are negative this year. Don’t chase short-term returns. Those expense ratios are not bad at all. Anything under 0.4% for an index fund is fine. Anything under 1% for a managed fund is fine.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have no idea what I'm doing.I think i bought into blackrock because they held a lot of ruger stock or some other silly reason.   If i have two redundant funds then i would want to get out of the one with higher fees.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, I figured it was something like that. The Vanguard target date fund you have is intended to be an all in 1 fund. It’s very diversified, holding total stock market, total international, total bond, and total international bond. It also rebalances automatically to become more conservative as it nears its target date. The expense ratio is normally .15% at Vanguard, which is very reasonable, although it may differ in your plan. My advice to someone who is unsure of what they are doing, would be to put everything in that target date fund and forget about it, assuming your approximate retire year is 2035.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ok, I figured it was something like that. The Vanguard target date fund you have is intended to be an all in 1 fund. It’s very diversified, holding total stock market, total international, total bond, and total international bond. It also rebalances automatically to become more conservative as it nears its target date. The expense ratio is normally .15% at Vanguard, which is very reasonable, although it may differ in your plan. My advice to someone who is unsure of what they are doing, would be to put everything in that target date fund and forget about it, assuming your approximate retire year is 2035.
View Quote
I'm more likley to retire around 2026.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, your plan will probably have a series of those Vanguard target date funds in 5 year increments. I would put it in the 2025 fund then.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:12:37 AM EDT
[#11]
So you've got good bit of overlap on the blackrock, and fidelity funds.

the expense ratio on the vanguard 2035 is around 0.08%

that fidelity fund is obscure, it has investments in over the counter securities.

you can keep the midcap if you just really have to have exposure to mid-market cap equities

i'd roll the fidelity otc and the blackrock into the vanguard target date fund and call it a day, without knowing what else is available to choose from
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

that fidelity fund is obscure, it has investments in over the counter securities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't know what that means.

you can keep the midcap if you just really have to have exposure to mid-market cap equities

i'd roll the fidelity otc and the blackrock into the vanguard target date fund and call it a day, without knowing what else is available to choose from
There's a Vanguard 2025 target date which is closer to my retirement date. maybe I will start moving existing balances into that one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There's a Vanguard 2025 target date which is closer to my retirement date. maybe I will start moving existing balances into that one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OTC Securities are not traded on the exchanges which present some additional risks, chiefly lack of financial disclosure and liquidity risks.

You could move into the 2025 fund if that's closer to your retirement age, that wouldn't be a bad move in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

OTC Securities are not traded on the exchanges which present some additional risks, chiefly lack of financial disclosure and liquidity risks.

You could move into the 2025 fund if that's closer to your retirement age, that wouldn't be a bad move in my opinion.
View Quote
Okay,

I'm going to be making some changes.

Should I have a (vanguard) small cap fund too or is that covered with a 2025 target retirement date fund?
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Okay,

Should I have a (vanguard) small cap fund too or is that covered with a 2025 target retirement date fund?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay,

It already includes small caps at market weight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top