Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2024 12:28:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tspike]
This happened to me a few months ago. I was going to keep it to myself, but I can't shake the feeling that I need to share it.

I'm not one who remembers dreams very often, but I did this one, and it absolutely terrified me. Even now, typing this I have a feeling of deep sorrow and anxiety.

Prior to going to sleep I had been listening to some scriptures as I do quite often, but nothing really pertaining to the dream. I had been asleep for a few hours when I woke up with the deepest, darkest feeling of desperation. I was literally shaking and I was crying when I woke, yeah..
I had dreamed that God had left me, completely. I was in a pitch black blinding void with the feeling of utter overwhelming fear and I knew immediately where I was. I remember trying to call to God but I couldn't even hear my voice, and worst of all I couldn't feel Him. I was separated from God. I would rather have never been born than to spend eternity feeling what I felt. There are actually no words for the raw fear that ingulfed me, I truly believe I woke because I had a panic attack in my sleep.

I didn't think I had the dream to warn others as I am no profit, or preacher or eschatological expert by any means, I'm just a random guy. In my heart, mind and soul I know this dream wasn't a warning for me per say as I talk to God allot, every day. I love Him with all I am and I know He knows it.

I kept telling myself that I had that dream because I had listen to a few sermons on The book of Revelation a few weeks prior, but I cannot shake it, I cannot get it out of my head and my heart. I would never wish that feeling of separation on my worst enemy and I now have to live with this crushing burden of knowing a fraction of what those who reject Him will experience. It is very real to me now.

Take this for what it's worth, some old dude had a scary dream, or take this as an opportunity to envision what your friends or loved ones who don't know, or have rejected Him may go through when they die.

I apologize if this seemed to jump around a bit, it's just really hard to convey how this dream has effected me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:20:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds kind of like a night terror
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:27:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Anastasios] [#2]
Yeah, it was a nightmare. Don't read anything into it. Don't despair.

Keep walking in the Light of Life.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:56:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By tspike:
This happened to me a few months ago. I was going to keep it to myself, but I can't shake the feeling that I need to share it.

I'm not one who remembers dreams very often, but I did this one, and it absolutely terrified me. Even now, typing this I have a feeling of deep sorrow and anxiety.

Prior to going to sleep I had been listening to some scriptures as I do quite often, but nothing really pertaining to the dream. I had been asleep for a few hours when I woke up with the deepest, darkest feeling of desperation. I was literally shaking and I was crying when I woke, yeah..
I had dreamed that God had left me, completely. I was in a pitch black blinding void with the feeling of utter overwhelming fear and I knew immediately where I was. I remember trying to call to God but I couldn't even hear my voice, and worst of all I couldn't feel Him. I was separated from God. I would rather have never been born than to spend eternity feeling what I felt. There are actually no words for the raw fear that ingulfed me, I truly believe I woke because I had a panic attack in my sleep.

I didn't think I had the dream to warn others as I am no profit, or preacher or eschatological expert by any means, I'm just a random guy. In my heart, mind and soul I know this dream wasn't a warning for me per say as I talk to God allot, every day. I love Him with all I am and I know He knows it.

I kept telling myself that I had that dream because I had listen to a few sermons on The book of Revelation a few weeks prior, but I cannot shake it, I cannot get it out of my head and my heart. I would never wish that feeling of separation on my worst enemy and I now have to live with this crushing burden of knowing a fraction of what those who reject Him will experience. It is very real to me now.

Take this for what it's worth, some old dude had a scary dream, or take this as an opportunity to envision what your friends or loved ones who don't know, or have rejected Him may go through when they die.

I apologize if this seemed to jump around a bit, it's just really hard to convey how this dream has effected me.
View Quote

I want to be very careful here because understanding dreams to me can be very dicey.

Obviously, the dream had an impact on you. It could be of a spiritual nature (divine or demonic).

Perhaps this one might mean it is a gift from God to help you in an upcoming temptation or spiritual struggle.  Or due to your recounting of it here, it might help someone else. Also, whether you are a prophet or not is immaterial. It still might provide a warning for someone. (BTW, one of my seminary Old Testament profs defined a prophet as "he who discerns the will of God".)

Relative to the nature of dreams, I've always considered the majority of my dreams to be nothing more than my unconscious, re-hashing of the day's events. Or maybe some unconscious review of an unresolved experience. I think your comment on the sermons you've heard recently does make sense.

It's only a guess, but I evaluate such "odd" events by their fruits. Does the incident or dream one day provide me (or someone else I discuss it with), with some form of spiritual help?

If not, I generally regard such dreams as possibly the hot Italian sausage I ate with my wife's pasta and sauce that evening for supper.

That's not to make light of your dream, it is nothing more than the way I look at my own dreams.        

I don't know whether any of this is remotely helpful to you, just my thoughts. Hope you find some clarity, understanding in regard to your dream.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#4]
When I was in my early teens I had nightmares and night terrors. But as I grew older they went away. I attributed them to the fact I had a very brutal step father who seemed to search for reasons to beat me and I was terrified of him. The only time as an adult I had one was when I was getting a divorce, and that was over 25yrs ago. I know those were stress related.

This was so very different. I tried to reason the dream as the result of something I had eaten, a movie I had watched, overthinking scripture I had read or from a sermon I had heard or even some sort of stress. None of those seemed to plausible to me, something inside me told me it was more than just a dream.

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EastWest:

I want to be very careful here because understanding dreams to me can be very dicey.

Obviously, the dream had an impact on you. It could be of a spiritual nature (divine or demonic).

Perhaps this one might mean it is a gift from God to help you in an upcoming temptation or spiritual struggle.  Or due to your recounting of it here, it might help someone else. Also, whether you are a prophet or not is immaterial. It still might provide a warning for someone. (BTW, one of my seminary Old Testament profs defined a prophet as "he who discerns the will of God".)

Relative to the nature of dreams, I've always considered the majority of my dreams to be nothing more than my unconscious, re-hashing of the day's events. Or maybe some unconscious review of an unresolved experience. I think your comment on the sermons you've heard recently does make sense.

It's only a guess, but I evaluate such "odd" events by their fruits. Does the incident or dream one day provide me (or someone else I discuss it with), with some form of spiritual help?

If not, I generally regard such dreams as possibly the hot Italian sausage I ate with my wife's pasta and sauce that evening for supper.

That's not to make light of your dream, it is nothing more than the way I look at my own dreams.        

I don't know whether any of this is remotely helpful to you, just my thoughts. Hope you find some clarity, understanding in regard to your dream.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EastWest:

This is what came to my mind OP.  You may have the opportunity to share something with an unbeliever and try to explain what you felt.

I occasionally have bad nightmares, waking up very uneasy, as if something is terribly wrong, but have not experienced that feeling.

Prayers for your peace
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:33:45 AM EDT
[#6]
None of those seemed to plausible to me, something inside me told me it was more than just a dream.
View Quote

In my opinion, it was more than a dream. You experienced an attack while you slept.

Many people have a hard time accepting that bad dreams are anything more than bad meatloaf for dinner. That there could be an alternative cause to bad meatloaf is scarier than the dream itself. In situations such as this, you wake up and use your authority as a son or daughter of God and call upon the name of Jesus and ask Him to surround you for protection. Have faith that He is with you.

There are dreams from God that will be very disturbing but will not flood you with fear. When those happen and you wake up, immediately ask the Holy Spirit to help you understand what He is trying to teach you. You will be surprised when He does.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I never felt the dream was an attack from satan, simply because the dream only drew me closer to God.

When I initially posted this I was going to put it in GD, but I've been here long enough to know the conversations that would have ensued would have done more harm than good. Even here in the religion forum, I know the majority of the people who read this will immediately discount it as anything but a genuine message from God, and there is nothing anyone can do to change that. I guess I just hoped there was someone who will think about this and give them the nudge to talk to a friend or loved one who may not be saved.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Statements such as this make me think the dream was not from God.

Those people in the Bible who were given dreams by God, which ones had these feeling?

….Even now, typing this I have a feeling of deep sorrow and anxiety.

…There are actually no words for the raw fear that ingulfed me, I truly believe I woke because I had a panic attack in my sleep.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#9]
The only dreams I can recall at this moment, that were not from any biblical disciple or profit that did not need to be interpreted was Pilate's wife warning him about Jesus.  
Matthew 27:19 When he was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, "Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him". Her dream was a warning for Pilate (someone else), not her.

My point is, if my dream was an attack from satan as I think you are suggesting, all it did was draw me closer to God. How could a dream affirming a judgment for non believers, be an attack on a believer?
I'm not being cynical, I'm being serious.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:57:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: monadh] [#10]
The only dreams I can recall at this moment, that were not from any biblical disciple or profit that did not need to be interpreted was Pilate's wife warning him about Jesus.  
Matthew 27:19 When he was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, "Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him". Her dream was a warning for Pilate (someone else), not her.

My point is, if my dream was an attack from satan as I think you are suggesting, all it did was draw me closer to God. How could a dream affirming a judgment for non believers, be an attack on a believer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I may have misunderstood your initial description of your dream because it did not sound as if you felt it was a dream affirming judgment for non-believers. It seemed far more targeted than that:

I had been asleep for a few hours when I woke up with the deepest, darkest feeling of desperation. I was literally shaking and I was crying when I woke, yeah..

I didn't think I had the dream to warn others...

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."

"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

"For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God..."

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love."

While I am not going to try to convince you your dream was an attack, the above verses are pretty good evidence where it did not come from.

I would recommend you talk with your pastor and ask what he knows about spiritual warfare.

The best thing would be to pray about it and ask God to help you know what it was and what it wasn't. Then ask Him what work He has for you to do. Attacks to discourage your faith can come right before God has something for you to do.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I should have probably written everything down before I posted this here and read and reread it. But I knew I would overthink it and dilute the severity which I felt it deserved.

I am mature enough in my walk with the Lord to not have a spirit of fear, only surety and love. Love enough to have shared a fearful dream I had, which I knew would be laughed and scoffed at.

I tried (unsuccessfully I feel) to share the dream that I felt was a warning to those who had/will reject God and His Son. I know (as I stated in the op) it was not a warning for me as I am sure of my salvation.

So, that's what I will do, leave this for them as I know there are many who read the posts in the religion form.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#12]
This country is is on a path to finding out what rejecting God looks like if we don’t get back to our roots of a Christian nation. And sounds to me like what your dream is saying. Look to God America, not Karl or Adolf.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 1:19:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I remember a woman talking about a NDE on some documentary or youtube channel.

She described herself floating in a sea of blackness where she couldn't see anything, feel anything, or hear anything.  She thought that's it. I've died.  I'm free of my responsibility and I did my best for everyone I'm leaving behind.  She said she felt a great relief and peacefulness overcome her as she felt her job was finished and she could move on.  

Then she woke up. The ER staff had brought her back.

Maybe you died in your sleep, but you aren't finished yet, so you brought yourself back.

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#14]

I have dreamed I could no longer feel God.

Scared me..
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:34:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Karankawa] [#15]
OK now I’m going to make the thread weird. My friend used to be one of the biggest farmers in Texas. He’s also a Christian. One day he came to realize that farmers were some of the biggest and earliest sinners because they would interbreed animals in defiance of the Lord’s word. Nowadays with GMO crops and chemicals it’s only gotten worse. I believe a lot of the foods we eat are low in nutrition because of our mishandling of the world He has given us.

Basically this is my long winded religious way of saying maybe you need to look at vitamin deficiencies and likely take magnesium supplements. Not just crappy magnesium oxide. Look at magnesium glycinate, or magnesium L-threonate. And we need to all work in our gardens. Get back to healthy soils and away from herbicides.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Karankawa:
OK now I’m going to make the thread weird. My friend used to be one of the biggest farmers in Texas. He’s also a Christian. One day he came to realize that farmers were some of the biggest and earliest sinners because they would interbreed animals in defiance of the Lord’s word. Nowadays with GMO crops and chemicals it’s only gotten worse. I believe a lot of the foods we eat are low in nutrition because of our mishandling of the world He has given us.

Basically this is my long winded religious way of saying maybe you need to look at vitamin deficiencies and likely take magnesium supplements. Not just crappy magnesium oxide. Look at magnesium glycinate, or magnesium L-threonate. And we need to all work in our gardens. Get back to healthy soils and away from herbicides.
View Quote

Valid points ,IMO.  Many of us would be much better off if we consumed what God intended for us to consume
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top