Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2022 6:14:10 PM EDT
Looking to make the best of the food budget and have a number of bags of beans and rice we need to rotate thru….,
So let’s have your recipes….
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 1:05:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Pinto beans, white rice and green chile with hamburger meat...  that there is some messican soul food.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looking to make the best of the food budget and have a number of bags of beans and rice we need to rotate thru….,
View Quote

what type of beans do you have?

ETA haven't heard back so here's one.  my wife loves this one for white beans, she's Cajun.  It's simple but tasty and we serve over rice.

1 lb white beans soaked overnight
1 lb sausage (andouille works best IMO or smoked or whatever you like)
Trinity - chopped bell pepper, onion, and celery
green onion
garlic if you like
water or chicken stock, about 3 or 4 cups
seasoning (tony's if you got it or salt and pepper)

Cut sausage into circles or half moons and saute until nicely browned. remove from pan.

Season as you go from here on out.

Add trinity and sauté a few minutes.  Add some sliced green onion white ends for the last minute.

Once veggies are sautéed, add beans, water or stock, and sausage.  

Simmer, covered or partially covered for about 3 hours or until nicely thickened.  Should thinly coat the back of a spoon.

serve over rice with sliced green onion and hot sauce.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#3]
This is pretty much how I fix red beans, a couple things a little different, but about 90% the same--

Louisiana Style Red Beans and Rice Recipe | #SoulFoodSunday

One important thing is w/red beans, you either want to get Camilla kidney beans, or Goya "small red beans"-and thats what their label name is, not a description. Otherwise you've got a really good chance they'll turn out mealy and not thoroughly cooked.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#4]
hunger is the best sauce...

I just do it as filler for other meals. Make some rice with jasmine and add it to meat/veggies and you have tex-mex. Add white rice to soup and you have the Above the Mason Dixon, winter version of the soup. Etc.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ETA haven't heard back so here's one.  my wife loves this one for white beans, she's Cajun.  It's simple but tasty and we serve over rice.

green onion
garlic if you like

Cut sausage into circles or half moons and saute until nicely browned. remove from pan.

Add trinity and sauté a few minutes.  Add some sliced green onion white ends for the last minute.

Simmer, covered or partially covered for about 3 hours or until nicely thickened.  Should thinly coat the back of a spoon.

View Quote

This is pretty much what I do. Comes out very good. If you can’t find a good smoked sausage, smoked pork hocks, pieces of good ham, or tasso work well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is pretty much what I do. Comes out very good. If you can’t find a good smoked sausage, smoked pork hocks, pieces of good ham, or tasso work well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

green onion
garlic if you like

It's good with smoked sausage but IMO waaay better with andouille.  We used to smuggle some home on visits to LA but now our local place in NC sells Savoie which happens to be our favorite.  We still have to have the crawfish tails shipped in though.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's good with smoked sausage but IMO waaay better with andouille.  We used to smuggle some home on visits to LA but now our local place in NC sells Savoie which happens to be our favorite.  We still have to have the crawfish tails shipped in though.
View Quote

Believe it or not, here in Southwest Louisiana, we really don't eat andouille.  None of the sausage places even make it.  We eat a slightly smaller, smoked pork sausage.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you "Ga Ron Tee"?
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 2:27:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a few pounds of Camilia red beans I'm saving for a special occasion, like the leftover bone from Christmas ham.

But you can definitely tell the difference.  Camilia beans have much softer shells that easily dissolve, and a better color once they are cooked down.

I have a recipe somewhere, but what I do is sort and rinse the beans.  Bring a big pot of water to boil.  Toss in the beans and boil for 3 minutes, then remove from heat and let soak in the hot water for an hour.  Drain that off and rinse, then I don't add much at all. Just a few cups of water, a smoked ham shank, some chicken bouillon powder (or just use chicken stock j stead of water) a couple of bay leaves and a couple of cloves of garlic, pressed.  Then I add some Tony's and a dash of cumin.  Let it cook for a couple of hours on low, or in a crock pot.  

When they are nice and soft and the ham shank is beginning to fall apart, smash the beans until the water thickens and gets creamy.

Keep an eye on them and adjust the water as needed, but it's easier to add water than to take it away.

Before serving, I add more Tony's until it's just right.

Serve it with grilled sausage, buttered, toasted French bread, and a small side salad and it's really good.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do you "Ga Ron Tee"?
View Quote

Mais yeah!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Not sausage, or (God forbid) hamburger.

Ham hocks.

Red chili peppers.  Green pepper.  Bay leaf.  Salt and pepper.

Navy beans.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Believe it or not, here in Southwest Louisiana, we really don't eat andouille.  None of the sausage places even make it.  We eat a slightly smaller, smoked pork sausage.
View Quote

What is it called ? Southeast Texas asking if you dont mind   @Logan45
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably the two I do the most.

Pinto beans or Black eyed peas.

pound of pintos or black eyes peas.
Some salty ham.
A hammock
Onion
garlic
chicken stock
Beef stock
a little fresh thyme
maybe a bay leaf or two.
Salt
Pepper
butter.

cook off the onions and garlic for a bit, put the rest of it in a pot and cook till the beans get where you want. when beans hit where you want, pull hock, pull meat and add meat back to beans. Eat with some hot sauce, corn bread and raw sweet onion if you like. Goes green with a pot of greens and some fried chicken.

My red beans and rice.
1lbs smoked sausage
1lbs andouille sausage
ham hock or two depending on size.
2lbs of red beans
Onion/celery/bell pepper (I do red, for whatever reason I don't like greens)
garlic
fresh thyme
bay leaf
chicken stock
salt
pepper
Cajun seasoning
green onions

Brown off the sausage, cook trinity in sausage grease, add garlic/thyme. Some times i will deglaze with white wine but the chicken stock works fine. Toss in hocks, beans, bay leafs, S&P, Cajun seasoning and cover with chicken stock. Cook the crap out of it (or till the beans hit your desired tenderness ) I take out some of the beans and mash them up, add them back after you do. Pull hock and pull off the meat, add back to the beans. Then put over some white rice and garish with green onion.

Makes a fuck ton so be prepped to eat on it for a few days.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:27:14 AM EDT
[#14]
OP, what type of beans and rice are you working with?
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Morros y cristianos

Senate navy bean soup
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top