Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
I finally benched 225. (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2024 9:05:11 PM EDT

It has been a goal of mine since I started working out years ago.
But I would constantly start going to the gym and never be consistent enough. I would plateau quickly, I wasnt eating enough and I also wasn't "progressively overloading". This time around I started with just push-ups in early October. Once I saw some development I decided to go back to the gym and give it another run. I was diligent in eating enough. I'm in the best shape I've ever been. I was consistent in going at least 5 times a week and I've became gym partners with two other guys who are also very determined and we hold eachother accountable. I went for 2 reps on flat and then 1 on incline. I'm happy with the results.

Determination and discipline is everything, I guess. Today I got accomplish my goal and enjoy all the hard work up to now. Now I've gotta work on making sets with it. On to the next I go. Im 34 5'10" 175#
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations. I failed it twice last year, once in a meet.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:30:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uniquesnd] [#3]
Me too, Tuesday for 7 reps and 3 sets.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]
That's how I knew I was up to the big boy weight

Feels good to rack the 45's, take a look around, and put on another set of plates

That is until the monster comes over and asks if he can quickly use your weight to do some military presses
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 1:13:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice.

So you started with pushups, what do you think your 1RM was in October?

What kind of progressive overload did you do?
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 1:59:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I could do up to 265 when I’m my 30s

Nearly 60 now, been back at weights for the last couple of years. With a spotter (rare for an introvert like me), I’m at 230. Doing 215-225 without a spotter

Twice a week doing chest

My daughter will be back from college this summer and will be my spotter …should be able to get to 235-240 barring injury/stupidity
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 3:51:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#7]
I recently got back into lifting.  

Keep at it and keep pushing.  

225 x 15 @ 190 lbs close grip bench press slower reps
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Awesome. Congrats.   I have struggling to hit 500 on the deadlift.   Been stuck at 435 for months and cant seem to get passed it...of course, I am also 175 pounds so maybe thats part of it 🤣🤣
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tanren37:
Nice.

So you started with pushups, what do you think your 1RM was in October?

What kind of progressive overload did you do?
View Quote

That's a good question. I'm not sure. I literally got back into it with just sets of 10 pushups. I would say the ORM was around 150#.
Something I forgot to mention was that I really tried to take every set to failure. That gave me the best outcome so far. After that I'd say I wouldnt add weight until I could do reps in the 12 to 15 rep range for 2 or more sets.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:21:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GBOOT99] [#10]
Originally Posted By rmakak:
I could do up to 265 when I’m my 30s

Nearly 60 now, been back at weights for the last couple of years. With a spotter (rare for an introvert like me), I’m at 230. Doing 215-225 without a spotter

Twice a week doing chest

My daughter will be back from college this summer and will be my spotter …should be able to get to 235-240 barring injury/stupidity
View Quote

Thats impressive ! I hope to be like that.
ETA: I never ask for spots either. I wait for a time were my friend will be there. I'll do dumbbells instead.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By The_Master_Shake:
That's how I knew I was up to the big boy weight

Feels good to rack the 45's, take a look around, and put on another set of plates

That is until the monster comes over and asks if he can quickly use your weight to do some military presses
View Quote

I definitely feel like im in big boy territory now lol
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Good work brother.  Keep pushing.  

I was 150 for years.  Started lifting during my divorce 3 years ago and haven't stopped since.

I'm at 260 x 6 for 3 sets at 178lb
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By car_wash_guy:
Good work brother.  Keep pushing.  

I was 150 for years.  Started lifting during my divorce 3 years ago and haven't stopped since.

I'm at 260 x 6 for 3 sets at 178lb
View Quote

That's what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By brodband8:
I recently got back into lifting.  

Keep at it and keep pushing.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfDQcvL8j_A
View Quote

Good stuff, man. Nice and controlled.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:38:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SG55xdude] [#15]
Good job man.  Doing 2 plates was my goal a couple years ago and recently I hit 330.  You just have to keep consistent and eat in a way to support progress.

Two plates is a big milestone though.  I was pumped when I could do it and then later when I could do 5 reps. I felt quite accomplished doing 225 for 5 reps back then.  Felt like a "real" weight lifter lol.  

Keep it up!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ds3_09:
Good job man.  Doing 2 plates was my goal a couple years ago and recently I hit 330.  You just have to keep consistent and eat in a way to support progress.

Two plates is a big milestone though.  I was pumped when I could do it and then later when I could do 5 reps. I felt quite accomplished doing 225 for 5 reps back then.  Felt like a "real" weight lifter lol.  

Keep it up!!
View Quote

225 seemed crazy to me 5 months ago. Im still pumped about it. If I could do 5 reps that'll be huge. Monday I try again. And thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I finally got 315 at age 42.  It's never too late!  You've got so many years of growth ahead of you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I clicked thinking you had "benched" your Sig P225 for something else

Congratulations!
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I did 365 at age 35.  At 38 my shoulder got angry and I had to lay off heavy bench for a while.

Got back into it about a year and a half ago (41) and have come back up to 335.  Can do 380 on a 3 board which is helping me bring my raw bench weight up.

It's a process.  Just keep working and hold proper form.  Getting sloppy has bad results - form, form, form!

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By GBOOT99:

That's what I'm talking about.
View Quote

Thanks man!  I'm 47 I wish I would've started lifting heavy, earlier.  You have many good, quality peak years to push.

With that said, I'm in the best shape of my life and as we all get older that is our goal.  Be the best version of ourselves.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Metonymy:
I did 365 at age 35.  At 38 my shoulder got angry and I had to lay off heavy bench for a while.

Got back into it about a year and a half ago (41) and have come back up to 335.  Can do 380 on a 3 board which is helping me bring my raw bench weight up.

It's a process.  Just keep working and hold proper form.  Getting sloppy has bad results - form, form, form!

View Quote

My right shoulder wasn't too thrilled with me the next morning.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
5x5 of 225 was a great feeling for me back in 2017.

then i moved on to pause bench.   and that was a whole nother battle to conquer

View Quote

I tried pause benching once and I'm still doing push ups, not as much, though and I started doing pauses on those, too. Great stimulator.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Good job. It's a life long battle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#26]
EXCELLENT.

This is the Way brother.

I know for me one of the things that has hampered me in the past, in terms of physical fitness, has been my lack of patience with myself.  Tiny, tiny consistent improvements really do add up quickly, don't they?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I progressed more/faster when I made it a point to not do the same thing on both push days.  Like push 1 do flat bench, incline, flies (plus shoulder and tricep stuff.  Push day 2 would be like weighted dips, decline dumbell bench, hamme strength isolateral wide chest, hammer strength incline bench press.  

It really seemed like doing weighted dips as my first lift helped me progress but my wrists start to give me issues after a few weeks so I move away from weighted dips for a while until everything feels good.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Good job OP.

It’s a great feeling.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Try pin pressing to get humbled.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm just ahead of you finally able to rep 225 again for 8 x3 sets.

Still cant gain a fucking pound though, stalled at 162-163 for months.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#31]
That’s a big day when you finally do it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Congrats OP!  Now set a new goal and keep working towards it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Good stuff, guys. Thanks for all the replies. I was able to do it again. Almost did a clean set of two, needed some help on the second. I'll keep at it. I started deadlifting today. That shit is tough. I did 245 3 times, but I need to practice my form more and not kill my legs with squats prior.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I progressed more/faster when I made it a point to not do the same thing on both push days.  Like push 1 do flat bench, incline, flies (plus shoulder and tricep stuff.  Push day 2 would be like weighted dips, decline dumbell bench, hamme strength isolateral wide chest, hammer strength incline bench press.  

It really seemed like doing weighted dips as my first lift helped me progress but my wrists start to give me issues after a few weeks so I move away from weighted dips for a while until everything feels good.
View Quote

Do you hit chest twice a week? I do it sometimes, but my second day is very low volume.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#35]
So what ratio does push up weight equate over to bench?

I weigh 210 and do sets of 25 push ups.  Usually 100 per day.

I wonder what I would bench.  Haven’t done a bench press in 20 years.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:02:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SG55xdude] [#36]

Do you hit chest twice a week? I do it sometimes, but my second day is very low volume.
View Quote

I do a push leg pull split and workout 6 days a week.  So push (chest, delts, triceps) twice a week, legs twice a week, pull (back and biceps) twice a week.

I do vary that sometimes.  My lower back (bad posture being a dentist for 15 years) and wrists (carpal tunnel) are my weaknesses and I have to modify things keeping that in mind.  I haven't had any real issues with my back but there were times I did and I only did 1 leg day for a few weeks and just did other stuff to make up for it.  I like to do upright rows and heavy weighted dips.  They both cause my wrists to have issues though.  Not initially but after a couple months of doing them I'll notice my wrists are starting to feel sore so I will switch to a different lift that hits the same muscles for a couple months till it everything feels good.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Ohiogators:
So what ratio does push up weight equate over to bench?

I weigh 210 and do sets of 25 push ups.  Usually 100 per day.

I wonder what I would bench.  Haven’t done a bench press in 20 years.
View Quote

How long have you been doing that? I'd say you should be able to bench your body weight. As for a specific answer to your question, I'm not sure I could say. But, it's not just your bench that gets better, it's everything else, too. Like curling, shoulder press and tricep pull downs. So I'm sure you're good on all those.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#38]

I do a push leg pull split and workout 6 days a week.  So push (chest, delts, triceps) twice a week, legs twice a week, pull (back and biceps) twice a week.

I do vary that sometimes.  My lower back (bad posture being a dentist for 15 years) and wrists (carpal tunnel) are my weaknesses and I have to modify things keeping that in mind.  I haven't had any real issues with my back but there were times I did and I only did 1 leg day for a few weeks and just did other stuff to make up for it.  I like to do upright rows and heavy weighted dips.  They both cause my wrists to have issues though.  Not initially but after a couple months of doing them I'll notice my wrists are starting to feel sore so I will switch to a different lift that hits the same muscles for a couple months till it everything feels good.
View Quote

I don't separate based on the movement. I haven't tried it. I also don't do multiple groups in one day. Unless yhe rare occasion that I'm off and go twice a day.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:49:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SG55xdude] [#39]

I don't separate based on the movement. I haven't tried it. I also don't do multiple groups in one day. Unless yhe rare occasion that I'm off and go twice a day.
View Quote

There's a million ways to do a split.  I did bro/bodybuilder splits for a long time because I used a coach for a while and that's what he wanted.  I prefer push/pull/legs though.

If you are working out 3 days a week or less I would stick with full body workouts each time.  Once you get 4-6 days though you need more recovery time for each group.  Doing full body 6 days would be brutal.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Once you hit two plates you start getting looks… awesome job OP
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#41]

There's a million ways to do a split.  I did bro/bodybuilder splits for a long time because I used a coach for a while and that's what he wanted.  I prefer push/pull/legs though.

If you are working out 3 days a week or less I would stick with full body workouts each time.  Once you get 4-6 days though you need more recovery time for each group.  Doing full body 6 days would be brutal.
View Quote

That would be hard to do. I'm going 5 days a week. I guess what I'm doing is called the bro split.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#42]

That would be hard to do. I'm going 5 days a week. I guess what I'm doing is called the bro split.
View Quote

Sounds like you are committed.  I have nothing against bro splits I've played around with different variations of a bro splits and push pull splits.  I just prefer push legs pull whether its 5 or 6 days for my purposes.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:08:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GBOOT99] [#43]

Sounds like you are committed.  I have nothing against bro splits I've played around with different variations of a bro splits and push pull splits.  I just prefer push legs pull whether its 5 or 6 days for my purposes.  

View Quote

Yes, luckily I've been able to stay committed this long. I'm basically addicted to the pump you get on chest and bicep day. Lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Wha's the consensus? Is just PR'ing a 225 bench press the gold standard or is it when you're actually pressing 225 for reps of 10 or more at sets of 3 or more that "you've made it" in weight lifting?

Because I have to imagine a lot of guys can PR lift 225 for one press.   Seems like the well built guys are pressing 225 for reps and sets, Garand Thumb just did an Instagram video where he did 17 reps of 225 on the flat bench.

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:01:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SG55xdude] [#45]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
Wha's the consensus? Is just PR'ing a 225 bench press the gold standard or is it when you're actually pressing 225 for reps of 10 or more at sets of 3 or more that "you've made it" in weight lifting?

Because I have to imagine a lot of guys can PR lift 225 for one press.   Seems like the well built guys are pressing 225 for reps and sets, Garand Thumb just did an Instagram video where he did 17 reps of 225 on the flat bench.

View Quote

I think its a milestone to hit 2 plates and then another to hit 5 reps with it.  I can do about 14 reps with 225 on a good day.  I haven't tried to max out reps at 225 anymore lately though and i weigh 15lbs less than when i last tried so it may be less right now.  I remember not to long ago (couple years) wondering if I could ever hit 5 reps.

I looked into RP training templates at one point.  I didn't end up buying any but they considered you "advanced" if you could do 225 for 10 reps.  You were supposed to select what level you were at.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 6:03:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Many, many years ago I did 225 for 12 reps when I was only 145 pounds.  Now I'm about to turn 50 and can do 315 for a single at the end of a workout at 170 pounds without a spotter.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#47]
My 2023 goal was two plates and I hit that pretty early in the year.  I'm aiming for 300 this year.  285 is where I'm at right now.  I need to get my wrists in the game.  They seem like my weak point.  lol.

Awesome job!  I was very happy when I got there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:20:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#48]
Originally Posted By lefty-weaver-g19:
Many, many years ago I did 225 for 12 reps when I was only 145 pounds.  Now I'm about to turn 50 and can do 315 for a single at the end of a workout at 170 pounds without a spotter.
View Quote

I know the saying "the older I get the better I used to be"

But when I was lifting heavy and taking all sorts of supplements I was 167 and doing multiple sets of 15 at 225

Ended up hitting 315 as my max (think i weighed more then as i was bulking) but honestly with my frame I thought it looked weird. Felt good to just rack on the 45's though

In my older age I lift just to sustain my appearance
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#49]

But when I was lifting heavy and taking all sorts of supplements I was 167 and doing multiple sets of 15 at 225

Ended up hitting 315 as my max (think i weighed more then as i was bulking) but honestly with my frame I thought it looked weird. Felt good to just rack on the 45's though

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lefty-weaver-g19:

I’m actually stronger now than I’ve ever been but pound for pound I was stronger when I was younger.  I wrestled since I was 5 so emphasis was always to get stronger without putting on weight.  Later I got into mma and kept the same mindset.  Once I decided to bulk I got stronger while still being lean.  I total over 1200 at almost 50 years old between squat bench and deadlift.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:

View Quote

Garand Thumb definitely lifts. 225 was a goal, for me. I haven't "made" anything yet. I still don't have the physique I want. Maybe a lot of guy's can 1rm 225 depending on workout frequency or because they are heavier bigger guys. Depends. I was 149# 1 year ago. Now im 175ish. According to statistics, only 1% of the population can bench 225#. So that's cool.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
I finally benched 225. (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top