Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 10:59:04 AM EDT
Huck is the best dog I've ever had. He's 14 now. Still spry and athletic in part because of breed and genes but also thanks to our newer hound, Murphy. I think he added year to Hucks life.

But Huck is starting to show signs of doggy dementia. He will forget where he is or what he was supposed to do. He will get up several times per night to want out but not have to pee.

Vet gave us trazodone for the new guy when he was having some issues coping with separation and loud noises etc. He got over it.

We asked the vet about Huck last time we were there and he said it would be fine to give him the same dose. He weighs more so.

Well, we tried it last night.  Poor guy was laying on the couch when we dosed him. When bedtime came and he stepped down.....he was stoned to the bone.

I felt bad. I gingerly led him to his bed and he crashed....until this morning at 530. Time to get up.

A whole, uninterrupted nights sleep for everybody. Wife just text that he was doing great and seemed peppier than usual.

I think we'll try half a dose tonight. But, I'm here to say, if your older dog is having old-timer issues, you might ask your vet about this trazodone stuff.

It is gonna crush me to lose him. I'm not blind to the fact we've likely rounded third, though.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Poor pup.  Please give him some scratches from me if you would.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Dat iz gud boyz
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#3]
With trazadone, the first time we gave it to our 60lbs dog, it reallyyyy zoned him out. After that first time, even full pills didn't seem to have much affect on him. It seemed to still help with his separation anxiety a bit. We don't drug him anymore, though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting.  Whats the dosage and his weight?  Never heard of a dog taking trazodone.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With trazadone, the first time we gave it to our 60lbs dog, it reallyyyy zoned him out. After that first time, even full pills didn't seem to have much affect on him. It seemed to still help with his separation anxiety a bit. We don't drug him anymore, though.
View Quote
They build up a tolerance quick.

We always have some on hand. Only use it when taking one of them to the vet because he hates the vet. The others get some on 4th of July and New Years.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, yeah, that stuff works well.

Also if you have a 12 hour drive and several dogs, including one that gets anxious.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Good dog. Good dog owner!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interesting.  Whats the dosage and his weight?  Never heard of a dog taking trazodone.
View Quote

Suggested is 2.5mg/#.

Huck is 55# and we have 100mg pills, so we're well under recommended which is how you want to start.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They build up a tolerance quick.

We always have some on hand. Only use it when taking one of them to the vet because he hates the vet. The others get some on 4th of July and New Years.
View Quote

That is good to know. We will use it sparingly,  then.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#10]
It works - was the only way we could keep one of our RRs from pulling out her stitches and drain tubes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#11]
It worked for awhile with my dog, but was only a temporary solution to the inevitable
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#12]
My 14 year old shepherd got super aggressive on that stuff... he had never been aggressive for any reason. Switched him to Valium and he went back to normal for the rest of his time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Good to hear that. Hopefully it gives you a little bit of extra, quality time with your dog.

Another similar (not in terms of drug mechanism) thing is using gabapentin in cats. If you have a cat that freaks out about car travel/going to the vet, ask about it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I give it to my dog also for long road trips. He is out for a solid 10-12 hours.

I only give him half the prescribed dose.

works really well and takes effect rather quick.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It worked for awhile with my dog, but was only a temporary solution to the inevitable
View Quote

Everything is temporary.

I believe that is one of the big lessons dogs teach us. They compress a lifetime into a time segment we can grasp and contemplate.

We don't have much time. Don't waste it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#16]
He looks great for his age, I’d say he’s gonna be around for awhile . My hurkybutt is the same age and showing the same signs. Thank you for posting because this same thing has been on my mind, taking him for a checkup and see if there’s anything he could use to be comfortable. We can tell just like us he doesn’t like to cold.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Everything is temporary.

I believe that is one of the big lessons dogs teach us. They compress a lifetime into a time segment we can grasp and contemplate.

We don't have much time. Don't waste it.
View Quote

I absolutely agree, but I miss having someone to clean up the shredded cheese that I drop on the kitchen floor and wake me up 45 minutes before my alarm for breakfast. We get so attached to them no matter how annoying they can be at times.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#18]
He needs a good bacon cheeseburger. let him enjoy his time left.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Mattis, in his final months, would prowl the downstairs making Chewbacca noises all night long. My wife would sleep on the couch to get him to calm down, he'd lie on the floor with his head under her hand.

There wasn't a walk I could take him on that would tire him out enough to sleep at night. Benadryl helped a bit, sometimes.

I wish I hadve gotten some good drugs for him.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He needs a good bacon cheeseburger. let him enjoy his time left.
View Quote

You can open any bag in the pantry and get away with it except.....the cracklin bag.

They both will mob you for a tiny pork rind or cracklin. It is like crack.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#21]
My dog is young but she's nervous as hell around loud noises...Kids running down the stairs? She runs under the bed. Not sure how she got that way (pound mutt) but I've considered giving her something for it .
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mattis, in his final months, would prowl the downstairs making Chewbacca noises all night long. My wife would sleep on the couch to get him to calm down, he'd lie on the floor with his head under her hand.

There wasn't a walk I could take him on that would tire him out enough to sleep at night. Benadryl helped a bit, sometimes.

I wish I hadve gotten some good drugs for him.
View Quote

I wouldn't have known about this if it werent for the vet. Ive been with him for 25 years. Good dude.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Vet gave us the same thing for our dogs for fireworks.... one gets really nervous... the other runs around the house like a crazy dog barking and trying to attack each "boom".

Stuff works like magic... they just passed out on the couch this New Years and didn't care at all!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#24]
We have 13y/o female mutt. She’s starting to show signs. Leaks pee when she sleeps, hearing is getting bad, sleeps so deep you can’t tell if she’s still alive, occasionally confused when she wakes up. The worst was a while back and she got sick and was having explosive diarrhea in her sleep.....fun times
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#25]
CBD oil knocks out our little old pooch quite well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Huck is the best dog I've ever had. He's 14 now. Still spry and athletic in part because of breed and genes but also thanks to our newer hound, Murphy. I think he added year to Hucks life.

But Huck is starting to show signs of doggy dementia. He will forget where he is or what he was supposed to do. He will get up several times per night to want out but not have to pee.

Vet gave us trazodone for the new guy when he was having some issues coping with separation and loud noises etc. He got over it.

We asked the vet about Huck last time we were there and he said it would be fine to give him the same dose. He weighs more so.

Well, we tried it last night.  Poor guy was laying on the couch when we dosed him. When bedtime came and he stepped down.....he was stoned to the bone.

I felt bad. I gingerly led him to his bed and he crashed....until this morning at 530. Time to get up.

A whole, uninterrupted nights sleep for everybody. Wife just text that he was doing great and seemed peppier than usual.

I think we'll try half a dose tonight. But, I'm here to say, if your older dog is having old-timer issues, you might ask your vet about this trazodone stuff.

It is gonna crush me to lose him. I'm not blind to the fact we've likely rounded third, though.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/206831/20210120_094859_jpg-1787924.JPG
View Quote

Trazodone is a old antidepressant, My doctor prescribed it to me for sleep also.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Three dogs ago, our dobie-lab cross started having seizures, the vet gave us phenobarbital. Instead of zonking him out, he'd pace around the house all night long.

It would turn out to be the end of him anyway. He had a big seizure and never came out of it. Stroke, aneurism or brain tumor I'd guess. We had to put him down at only 5 years old.

We weren't having good luck with dogs during that time, our other dog we'd had at the same time, a rott-lab mix had auto-immune hemolytic anemia. We tried to save her with methotrexate but it didn't work.

Those two dogs definitely taught me the lesson of "fighting too hard" and "waiting too long" to euthanize. Fortunately, our next dog had a good run of 15 years before tumors and old age got her. We went a long time keeping her comfortable and moving with just regular aspirin wrapped in a bit of cheese.

Current dog is only 1 1/2 years old, and she's still got some puppy in her, and is an asshole about getting into the garbage. Hopefully she grows out of that.

View Quote

I made the decision many years ago that I would never keep an animal alive for me. If I feel they are suffering more than I would want to, they get the easy way out. Judgement call, I know.

I've seen too many blind, crippled, incontinent, incoherent animals kept alive because their owner couldn't part with them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That is good to know. We will use it sparingly,  then.
View Quote

If it works as it does on humans, trazadone is not a drug that builds tolerance. I have been using it for sleep for 5 years or so daily.

Good looking pup!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got one coming up on 8 I hope will see Hucks years. He has issues with riding in diesels (gas cars dont bother him at all) and gets scared. Kind of a problem when you go camping 9 hours away and he is shaking half the ride. Going to look into this and see how he does with it.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Good old boy you have there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I use trazadone as a sleep aid. That shit knocks my dick in the dirt
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great looking dog OP , I love labs
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:16:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

We thought he was a lab/hound mix for the longest time.

After discussing him here, and filling in info from the vet, one arfcommer suggested he was a Plott hound.

It all lines up that he is. At least mostly. He definitely has a hound's mouth. One of the reasons I picked him at the pound. I stopped at his kennel and when I walked away I hear "baaooooowwwwww". I said, "Lets get him out for a bit" and that was it. I was raised with coon hounds.

H3 has the idiosyncrasies and temperament and behavior described foe Plott hounds, to a tee.

I would get another in a heartbeat. Awesome dogs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Glad it worked for you, OP. Trazodone made my Jack Russell into an actual terrorist. It was like trying to control a superball with teeth in perpetual motion. There was no sleep at all.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Poor pup.  Please give him some scratches from me if you would.
View Quote

This. It makes me sad to lose a good buddy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Enjoy every second you got with him.
Finding your best buddy past on the floor is one of the worst feeling ever
Wished I had one more day
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I made the decision many years ago that I would never keep an animal alive for me. If I feel they are suffering more than I would want to, they get the easy way out. Judgement call, I know.

I've seen too many blind, crippled, incontinent, incoherent animals kept alive because their owner couldn't part with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Three dogs ago, our dobie-lab cross started having seizures, the vet gave us phenobarbital. Instead of zonking him out, he'd pace around the house all night long.

It would turn out to be the end of him anyway. He had a big seizure and never came out of it. Stroke, aneurism or brain tumor I'd guess. We had to put him down at only 5 years old.

We weren't having good luck with dogs during that time, our other dog we'd had at the same time, a rott-lab mix had auto-immune hemolytic anemia. We tried to save her with methotrexate but it didn't work.

Those two dogs definitely taught me the lesson of "fighting too hard" and "waiting too long" to euthanize. Fortunately, our next dog had a good run of 15 years before tumors and old age got her. We went a long time keeping her comfortable and moving with just regular aspirin wrapped in a bit of cheese.

Current dog is only 1 1/2 years old, and she's still got some puppy in her, and is an asshole about getting into the garbage. Hopefully she grows out of that.

That demonstrates a great deal of character.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I give it to my dog also for long road trips. He is out for a solid 10-12 hours.

I only give him half the prescribed dose.

works really well and takes effect rather quick.
View Quote

Had to do that when moving cross-country, as the dog would not go on a road trip of any length of time without throwing up. Worked very well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top