Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2019 9:39:00 PM EDT
...but I do hate the recovery.

It seems that squats are the only lift that inhibits me for more than a few hours afterwards. This makes them the most difficult to program without screwing up other things.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
What sort of weight are you pushing?

I've  been training folks for some time now and it seems everyone wants to go too heavy on the big lifts. Most of the time form suffers and causes an unnecessary and painful recovery period.

Moderate weight with moderate reps and sets is an awesome answer for the majority of folks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What sort of weight are you pushing?

I've  been training folks for some time now and it seems everyone wants to go too heavy on the big lifts. Most of the time form suffers and causes an unnecessary and painful recovery period.

Moderate weight with moderate reps and sets is an awesome answer for the majority of folks.
View Quote
Why would you squat if you don’t want to get stronger?
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't skip squat day and you won't have extended downtimes recovering.  All it takes is missing squat day one week to jam you up.  Skip it two weeks in a row and you will be right back at the beginning.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 12:19:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't skip squat day and you won't have extended downtimes recovering.  All it takes is missing squat day one week to jam you up.  Skip it two weeks in a row and you will be right back at the beginning.
View Quote
Some type of active recovery helps too.

And hydration.

And sleep.

And food.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And hydration.

And sleep.

And food.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And hydration.

And sleep.

And food.
And drugs.

The doms are still there. But recover time is insain in comparison.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're crippling yourself during the recovery period, you're doing too much.   Back it off some.

Soreness is to be expected but if you're reasonable about your squats, recovery will be reasonable as well.

As I write this my legs are moderately sore from squats.   Because I did enough to help, not enough to make life suck for a week!
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#7]
This is what I like about squatting 3 days a week.  I never get really sore.

Course I kind of hate everything else about squatting 3 days a week
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Soreness is one thing, but I can work through that.

It’s the damn jelly legs I get the rest of the day that prevents me from really doing anything else that bothers me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is what I like about squatting 3 days a week.  I never get really sore.

Course I kind of hate everything else about squatting 3 days a week
View Quote
I’ve seriously considered breaking up my squats into three days a week and doing them with core workouts before bed. Fronts Monday, backs Wednesday and goblets Friday then 6-7 hours of sleep right after. Doing all three same day, middays sucks for the rest of that day.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Squat at least twice a week and that will help.  Leave a little in the tank every time.  Eating right, a gallon of water a day, sleep, and creatine keep me from getting sore.  I used to kill myself once a week and I hated the next few days.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I’ve seriously considered breaking up my squats into three days a week and doing them with core workouts before bed. Fronts Monday, backs Wednesday and goblets Friday then 6-7 hours of sleep right after. Doing all three same day, middays sucks for the rest of that day.
View Quote
I think that's a good idea.  Doing 3 types of squats in one session is a lot and the sets toward the end will always suffer.  Breaking it up into 3 sessions on diff days means you'll be fresh for all 3 types of squats.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Squats are tame recovery-wise compared to deadlifts.
View Quote
Squats wreck me for recovery, even when I've tried going to heavy on deadlifts I've been pretty okay afterwards.

I am a much better puller than pusher though, I attribute it to labor for years. Today for instance I ran a concrete vibrator for 3 hours. Afterwards I could feel it on the hamstrings, I do stuff like that all the time, use a lot of posterior chain for day to day stuff, and very rarely have to push on anything, with arms or legs.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I know my commode is sturdy, because I give out a few inches above the seat the next morning.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Just do more squats.

When I'm consistently squatting 3 or 4 times a week I don't get sore or anything. If life is getting in the way and I'm missing workouts here or there, I'm way more sore.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been doing Bulgarian style training for the past few months, squatting 5-6 days a week when I'm on my game.  No major issue with soreness or recovery.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Eat more.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Squats are tame recovery-wise compared to deadlifts.
View Quote
This is true. Deads suck the life out of me until squat day.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I squatted for the first time in 50 days on Sunday....felt okay yesterday, legs are sore today.

It's my own fault though, I knew that it was only going to get worse the longer I waited.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top