Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2021 3:12:02 PM EDT
But over 2x MSRP seems a bit much.
Stopped by a LGS and saw they had SIG p365xl pistols in stock, then I saw the prices, $1350 to $1450.
That's probably why they had several in stock.
I know free market and all but is anyone paying these prices? The stores with a smaller markup are selling out quickly but are at least seeing some turnover in their inventory, it seems that hoping the occasional rube will pay a grossly overinflated price may not be the smartest move.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Trying to offset no profit from usual ammo sales?  If things don't change (and I don't think they will), I think hard times are ahead for many LGS.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh.

Paid $530 OTD for a new G19.5 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#3]
When restock is not guaranteed, speculation ensues.
Welcome to inflation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#4]
LGS here got shockwaves in, listed them on their Facebook page.

I ran down there to maybe grab one, they were $1100 each. They had Mossberg Maverick's for $750

ETA:

All gone that day
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
A store has fixed costs. No inventory =losing money. To stay open they need to make at least their monthly fixed costs back on sales.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably includes a 50 round box of ammo.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Were these new? I was under the impression that retailers had to stay under MAP.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Make an offer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess those places don't like returning customers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Were these new? I was under the impression that retailers had to stay under MAP.
View Quote

MAP = minimum advertised price. The store can charge whatever they want
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Demand for a product is met via a bid and an ask. If the manufacture or retailer doesn't set a market price the speculators will.

Get over it already.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#12]
PSA has Sig 365s in stock. $600something.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#13]
If you feel they are charging too much you DO NOT have to buy.

That is what I do.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

MAP stands for Minimum Advertised Price, not Maximum.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#15]
OP,they are having a going out of business sale!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#16]
the unprepared will be paying the 'stupid tax',  it's always worked that way and always will.

One thing folks don't ever consider is what the retailers distributor is charging them to replace their stock.  I'd be surprised if has not gone up as well.  ALSO factor in that speculators will clean you out of items that are priced below the market and just flip them,  we see this happen with 'big box store' priced ammo all...the...time.

But the bottom line is that if the so called "2x retail" guns don't sell they'll adjust prices or let them collect dust...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#17]
No need to go to the store, just search the EE for FRT Triggers

Try Sportsman's I just got my XL for MSRP
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Lgs( small and big box) I've been to have normal prices on everything.  Except ammo, that's a little higher.

I see nutso prices on the secondary market.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wat?  Glock wont let people sell under a certain dollar amount.   Everyone else can sell it for whatever they want.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#20]
They're obviously douchebags trying to rip off the noobs, let them go out of business
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They're obviously douchebags trying to rip off the noobs, let them go out of business
View Quote

Never owned your own business?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol you are probably one of those Austin commies.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#23]
If it were less expensive it wouldn’t be in stock for you to complain about. Lucky you!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Frankly guns have been underpriced for years. If they had decent profit margins gun shops wouldn't go out of business so easily.

It has been a race to the bottom for a long time.

Supply is limited and demand is crazy. It just makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#25]
If I owned a gun shop I'd put just about everything on gunbroker and let it bid up.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#26]
OP is correct!

And how dare Rolex for charging $10k for a submariner! It's stainless steel not gold!

And Porsche should never charge $150k for a CAR when a $15k Toyota does the same thing!

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP is correct!

And how dare Rolex for charging $10k for a submariner! It's stainless steel not gold!

And Porsche should never charge $150k for a CAR when a $15 Toyota does the same thing!

View Quote

Link to $15 toyota?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Link to $15 toyota?
View Quote

You could get a new Yaris for that.  (Yes i know it’s a Mazda).
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#29]
SnG Tactical? Sounds like something stupid they would do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Frankly guns have been underpriced for years. If they had decent profit margins gun shops wouldn't go out of business so easily.

It has been a race to the bottom for a long time.

Supply is limited and demand is crazy. It just makes sense.
View Quote

You can thank the cheap-ass American gun owner for that.

I want a high cap 9mm with a short grip that I can get all my fingers around and conceal but it can't recoil too much and it needs to look nice and the slide needs to be easy to pull back and it has to be reliable from Smith and Weston or Walter or Sig Sawyer and it can't cost more than $300 or it's a rip-off....by the way, where's all the 9mm ammo?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I was surprised to see a small lgs not jacking up prices during all this. I bought two guns from them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that have to do with them being douchebags trying to rip off uninformed people by charging prices way higher than even the current market prices?  

A last gasp sale at a rip-off price isn’t going to save their business, as everyone in business knows.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What does that have to do with them being douchebags trying to rip off uninformed people by charging prices way higher than even the current market prices?  

A last gasp sale at a rip-off price isn’t going to save their business, as everyone in business knows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do we know they are going out of business?

Fuck em if they have intent, hard to say

Gun shops are actually in a good spot. Any potential bans to online sales funnels business their way.  They will benefit the most from anti legislation.   Even if black rifles are banned.

You can be damn sure walmart will sell ammo again if online sales get nailed.

So they have little to gain by charging unnecessarily high prices.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno, is there also a M(ax)AP as well?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Probably includes a 50 round box of ammo.

View Quote

Welp, that covers about 1/3 of the list price so you are probably correct.

Sig.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

MAP is less than MSRP... and you think they have to stay below the Minimum Advertised Price, which is always less than Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If I owned a gun shop I'd put just about everything on gunbroker and let it bid up.

View Quote

Depends the LGS will often bring in more depending on local demogaphics. Wealthy area, few options, the ability to get it RFN in the midst of a panic.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Gun shops are actually in a good spot. Any potential bans to online sales funnels business their way.  They will benefit the most from anti legislation.   Even if black rifles are banned.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only referencing other’s theories that they need to charge those prices or they will go out of business. It would still be stupid if they were.  Liquidate quickly and get on with other things is much smarter.

I agree with you though, brick and mortar gun shops will probably come out ahead. Fortunately I have a number to choose from and will go out of my way to avoid those that charge ridiculous pricing like that in the OP.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Wat?  Glock wont let peopleGlock Authorized Dealers sell under a certain dollar amount.   Everyone else can sell it for whatever they want.
View Quote

FIFY. Most Dealers are independent dealers that buy from Jobbers/Wholesalers. They can charge what they want for their stock.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Markets bear what prices people are willing to pay.

Sellers don't set the price, BUYERS DO.

I am sick and tired of people using their feelings of how things should work dictate how Capitalism actually works.  All the more aggravating because people pick and choose when they understand it.  

You bought your house ten years ago for $100k, all the houses in that neighborhood are about that.  Lately it's become The Place To Live and everyone wants to live there for whatever reason, you decide to sell your house to move somewhere else, going rate is now $800k in that neighborhood, so you post yours for that.  Suddenly all the mouthbreathers show up going yOuRe PrIcE GoUgInG.  Do you admit that "you're greedy" and lower the price to 100k or whatever the idiots think it should be?  No.  They are welcome to offer you 100k, but you're a goddamned liar if you think that you'd not take the 800k someone else offers.

Sellers don't somehow magically make people buy their shit; if charging 2x MSRP for a gun is what a dealer wants they can, and someone will buy it or they won't.  Your personal ignorant beliefs does not change that.  Bitching on GD doesn't change that.  

This is elementary shit yet every week it seems like we have to have one of these threads crying about how someone is willing to pay more for a commodity than you, and it's disgusting because to anyone who knows how this shit works it's obviously a combination of ignorance and envy that someone has more money than you or is able to spend it.  

Ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#42]
OP! You are MY MAN. Right on, my brother.

Please post a link to your EE sales of firearms at 2018 prices. I'm so in.

Otherwise, these firearms are not for you. They are for someone else. I'm sorry.
This happened to me some time back with HK P7s.

And currently with NFA MP5s.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A store has fixed costs. No inventory =losing money. To stay open they need to make at least their monthly fixed costs back on sales.
View Quote

Not true.
A store has fixed costs and needs to make sales.

In the pre-panic world that was likely 'bring in 300 new guns. Sell 10 guns a day.  Make enough to stay open"

Now, the model seems to be 'Bring in 300 new guns.  Sell 300 guns on first day.  No inventory left, so no sales the rest of the month"

BUT, they are making the same number of sales.  So they should be equally solvent.

So the real question is why is there no inventory?  If the inventory is because they are getting an equal number of guns per month than before but they are selling out instantly  - potential for profit as they can slide up prices.  The only way inventory is playing a part is if they are able to purchase only a fraction of the new guns they want.  However, it seems like guns are being produced at a pretty good pace.  I am guessing most gunstores are able to buy between 75%-100% of what they were buying 2 years ago.  Now, that might be only 20% of what they WANT to buy, but still.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#45]
PSA is charging 599 for a shockwave.

Yikes
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#46]
It's kind of nutty to be buying guns when ammo can't be had.  If I'm going to pay panic prices, it's for ammo.  Not that I need to worry about that but the fact remains that ammo is king.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Gun shops are for profit businesses, not altruistic endeavors.

If you don't like the price, shop elsewhere.

If no one else has the item you want, then you have 2 choices, hold your nose and buy it or do without.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#48]
With things like they are now supply wise, prices are whatever the market will bear. Hard to imagine what the prices of guns and ammo will be in 3-4 months
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I dunno, is there also a M(ax)AP as well?
View Quote

only if the manufacturer tells the dealer and/or distributor to stay at a certain price.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Their are Federal laws against that, during a time of crisis you can not legally mark up over 15% from MSRP. I think during a pandemic it would fall under this.

Ask the folks at CTD, they have been hit a couple of times for price gouging customers during a time of crisis, one time just recently. But as already stated you don't have to buy, or even return in the future.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top