Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/26/2022 5:15:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tspike]
Both of my grandfathers were Masons in Wisconsin back in the 30's thru 70's and I am in possession of several rings and a Grand Master medallion. I really don't want to sell them to a pawn shop or some random buyer of gold in a strip mall or on eBay and my kids have no interest in them. Are there collectors or such that anyone knows of that may be interested in them?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Second ring is Elks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 5:33:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#2]
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I just put them in a pile of scrap gold that got weighed. Done.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
For the medallion, does it say presented to the Grand Master or by the Grand Master?  If presented to a Grand Master, sometimes they are property of Grand Lodge and the expectation is that they are returned upon death.  If presented by, it was most likely for meritorious service.  Either way, contact the Grand Lodge of Wisconsin.  They may have a museum to display such pieces.  

Any chance you are in the vicinity of Crystal Gateway Marriott?  An international Masonic conference will be held there Feb 17-23.  There is always a vendor who deals in antique Masonic jewelry.  He may buy the Scottish Rite ring from you and perhaps that medallion.  If I can remember his name I'll shoot you an IM.  I'm sure he has a website.
View Quote

The inscription on the back of the medallion says "Presented by the Grand Lodge F.&M. to Harry Speich Grand Master 1955-1956" I know he was the Grand Master, my sister has the Oct 8 1956 Life Magazine with all the Grand Masters and he was in the picture (red circle).
I'm in the Hampton Roads area, not close to where it will be held. If you do remember his name, I'd appreciate you passing it along to me.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Number1gun:
I just put them in a pile of scrap gold that got weighed. Done.
View Quote

The medallion was appraised back in 2011 for $3000, but I would rather sell it to someone who would appreciate it rather than scrap it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]
For the medallion, does it say presented to the Grand Master or by the Grand Master?  If presented to a Grand Master, sometimes they are property of Grand Lodge and the expectation is that they are returned upon death.  If presented by, it was most likely for meritorious service.  Either way, contact the Grand Lodge of Wisconsin.  They may have a museum to display such pieces.  

Any chance you are in the vicinity of Crystal Gateway Marriott?  An international Masonic conference will be held there Feb 17-23.  There is always a vendor who deals in antique Masonic jewelry.  He may buy the Scottish Rite ring from you and perhaps that medallion.  If I can remember his name I'll shoot you an IM.  I'm sure he has a website.
View Quote

Your grandfather was the Grand Master of Freemans of Wisconsin. The Past Grand Master jewel is the property of the Grand Lodge. When a PGM dies the jewel is returned and it will be presented to another GM when he leaves office. A hinged plate will be attached over the back with the new recipient’s information engraved on it. That way it maintains the heritage of the PGM’s.  My Grand Council Past Most Illustrious Grand Master’s jewel is very precious to me. It was originally presented to a wonderful man who was one of my mentors. When I pass my family will return it to preserve its legacy. These jewels are worth much more than their monetary value.

The Grand Lodge isn’t going to sue you or come after it, obviously because they haven’t. Let your conscience be your guide on what to do.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By tspike:

The inscription on the back of the medallion says "Presented by the Grand Lodge F.&M. to Harry Speich Grand Master 1955-1956" I know he was the Grand Master, my sister has the Oct 8 1956 Life Magazine with all the Grand Masters and he was in the picture (red circle).
I'm in the Hampton Roads area, not close to where it will be held. If you do remember his name, I'd appreciate you passing it along to me.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4164/wnt6g_jpg-2649873.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

why don't you join the Freemasons, then become a Scottish Rite Mason and then you can wear the SR ring?
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, I found your grandfather’s obituary.

As an interesting point, the lodge he was Master of is #1.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 8:41:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tspike] [#13]
Reach out to Michael DeWolf at the link I posted and talk to him.  Wonderful man.
View Quote

Thank you, I will indeed reach out to him. I do appreciate your assistance in this, very much. @medicmandan
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 8:47:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tspike] [#14]
Originally Posted By PSI:
OP, I found your grandfather’s obituary.

As an interesting point, the lodge he was Master of is #1.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105210/C5307F5A-B548-46D2-A41C-AEF4466F75A1_jpe-2650017.JPG
View Quote

Wow. Yeah, that's him. I've never actually seen this, thank you! @PSI
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 8:58:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#15]
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
why don't you join the Freemasons, then become a Scottish Rite Mason and then you can wear the SR ring?
View Quote

I'm 63 and past the point in my live where I'd fell comfortable taking on a quest such as that.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Tag for info. I have a bunch of my fathers and grandfathers masonic stuff, including a copper setting maul, jewels and aprons. Also have a bunch of the little cipher books.

Grandfather was master of Joppa lodge in Brooklyn and dad was master of Darien lodge in Panama, both non existent now.

Seems like they should be worth something.

I don't want to toss them if they have some value to a lodge, or can be sold.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#18]

I'm 63 and past the point in my live where I'd fell comfortable taking on a quest such as that.
View All Quotes

Perfect age to join.

Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#20]
All I have to say is that there was a lot of work and dedication that went into those rings. Please don't melt them and follow the advice from those posters above.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#21]

He may well have photos as well.

Annual session in which he was installed Grand Master (official portrait on page 5):

http://gwm.lunaimaging.com/luna/servlet/detail/GWM~79~79~107~290324?sort=year&qvq=sort:year;lc:GWM~79~79&mi=106&trs=152

And this will be an account of the annual session that he presided over as Grand Master:

http://gwm.lunaimaging.com/luna/servlet/detail/GWM~79~79~108~290320?sort=year&qvq=sort:year;lc:GWM~79~79&mi=107&trs=152

View All Quotes

Thank you, I will indeed reach out to him. I do appreciate your assistance in this, very much.

He may well have photos as well.

Annual session in which he was installed Grand Master (official portrait on page 5):

http://gwm.lunaimaging.com/luna/servlet/detail/GWM~79~79~107~290324?sort=year&qvq=sort:year;lc:GWM~79~79&mi=106&trs=152

And this will be an account of the annual session that he presided over as Grand Master:

http://gwm.lunaimaging.com/luna/servlet/detail/GWM~79~79~108~290320?sort=year&qvq=sort:year;lc:GWM~79~79&mi=107&trs=152

It's been many years since I've seen a picture of young Harry, absolutely heart warming.. That smile.
He was a no nonsense kind of man but very kind and gentle to us grandkids. I had just turned 18 when he passed and had zero understanding of the reasoning behind the multitude of people attending his funeral service and burial. Now it all makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By telemarker:
All I have to say is that there was a lot of work and dedication that went into those rings. Please don't melt them and follow the advice from those posters above.
View Quote

I'm in no need of money and I never ask for advice and then walk away from it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:
Threads like this are why this place rocks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/26/2022 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:
Threads like this are why this place rocks.
View Quote

For sure.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 6:05:52 AM EDT
[#27]
The old stuff is so much cooler than the new stuff. The Scottish Rite ring is awesome
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#28]
The medallion will be going back to the Grand Lodge in Wisconsin. I am 100% sure this is what my grandfather would have wanted.
Thank you to all of you who gave me input on this, especially @medicmandan for getting me in touch with them.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Shouldn't the GMs write special items like this into their wills to prevent confusion of this sort?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 1:35:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#31]
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not sure how my sister came into my grandfathers (my fathers, father) medallion or the rings (from my mothers father).
Shortly after Harrys funeral I went to boot camp and was not a part of the will reading or the distribution of his things. I think... my grandmother may have kept it and she may have given it to my sister. I didn't ask how she acquired it and I won't. I'm sure she thought (as I did) it was just some sort of Masons flair. Now I know differently and am happy to get it back where it belongs.

As I stated, the rings were from my other grandfather, Ivor Gunnison who passed in 1956 (before I was born). He was from Baraboo Wisconsin and I can only guess that my sister acquired them from my grandmother Vivian Gunnison  before she passed in 92.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#33]

I'm sure some do.  

For many, due to their age and cognitive decline it may have been years since they last attended a meeting and wore the jewel.  It goes into a drawer and is forgotten about.  A surviving spouse may be aware of the significance and need to return it, but their own health decline or early passing may impede that.  Children/grandchildren find them and have no idea what the significance is and donate them to goodwill, sell them or sadly melt them down.  

It can be an uncomfortable discussion for some of our leaders as well at the time of their passing.  

Heirs quite frequently drop off numerous other artifacts they believe are significant to the larger body such as aprons, gavels, books, plaques, etc.  We have more copies than I care to count of Pike's Morals and Dogma in the library and other storage areas.  Most Masons have a copy of that so few have any real value unless they are a very early addition.  I did come across one that was signed by J.C. Penney when he went through the Scottish Rite degrees in Utah.  I added that to my personal collection so it does not disappear or deteriorate in storage.  Few will find any value in that one, but I do.

A few of us here in Utah frequent pawn shops and watch ebay for these things and will buy them back when we can.
View Quote

J.C. Penney’s hometown is about 15 miles north of me the local high school is named for him
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Perfect age to join.

View All Quotes

Perfect age to join.

It really is. A lot of the older guys have more free time to hang out together more. It is a good outlet to get them out of the house more and socialize.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Before you get rid of the rings, be absolutely certain that you don't want to become a mason. If you change your mind, you'll regret letting then go.

Also, 63 is definitely not too old to become a mason. Your grandfathers got a lot out of masonry. Maybe they were on to something.

One of the things that I really like about masonry is the connection to the previous generations of my family who have been brothers. I don't know what it was like being a stone mason in the 19th century in Ayrshire. I probably don't have many similar interests or hobbies as my ancestors. If I were somehow transported back in time, I'm not sure we would have much to talk about. But we would share the masonic experience. There are some differences between my Grand Lodge's ritual and theirs, but we all knocked on a closed door. My journey through the degrees of masonry was largely the same as my great-great-great-grandfather's.

It's worth looking into. Don't assume you're too old or that it's too much to take on.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

You're exactly what the Fraternity needs right now. You can't believe the number of young Mason who are joining just so they can join the Shrine and Shrine Clubs. I have sent you an IM about the SR ring.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#37]
A little update. The PGM medallion is finally back at the Grand Lodge Free and Accepted Masons of Wisconsin, the Scottish Rite ring is with an ARFCOM Team Member Mason, and the Elks ring is with a friend who in an Elks member.
I honestly appreciate all the help I received from the members here.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#39]
@tspike

Thanks for returning it. It’ll mean a lot to the next recipient.

@medicmandan

I imagine Utah does something similar.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#40]
@PSI

I hope if it is does go to another recipient, he is as good a man as I knew Grandpa Harry was.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:37:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#43]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#44]
If I would have know that the passing down of medallions was a thing when I bought it from my sister, I would have made great efforts in ensuring it were returned years ago.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:08:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PewPewPew1212] [#45]

View All Quotes

Master masons made a lopsided triangle for the picture?!
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#47]

@PSI

We do.  The PGM jewel on loan to me was worn by the only PGM to serve three consecutive terms in the 1890s.  We are down to just a few in the vault even with several PGMs passing away in recent years.  They go into drawers, shoeboxes, and get forgotten.  Every once in a great while they pop up on eBay or in a local pawn or antique store and we try to purchase them back.  I'm sure a few have been melted down for their gold.
View Quote

I like your use of the term, “on loan”. That’s exactly what I consider my Past Grand High Priest and Past Most Illustrious Grand Master jewels to be. They’ve simply in my care until I move on. We’re out of PGHP and PMIGM jewels. Every year we purchase a new one. They’re pricey.

The apron, however, is the property of the Past.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Those were all Grand Masters, can't make them do anything they don't want to.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PewPewPew1212:

Master masons made a lopsided triangle for the picture?!

Those were all Grand Masters, can't make them do anything they don't want to.

Especially if they want to talk. 🤣
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By entropy:
Tag for info. I have a bunch of my fathers and grandfathers masonic stuff, including a copper setting maul, jewels and aprons. Also have a bunch of the little cipher books.

Grandfather was master of Joppa lodge in Brooklyn and dad was master of Darien lodge in Panama, both non existent now.

Seems like they should be worth something.

I don't want to toss them if they have some value to a lodge, or can be sold.
View Quote

They will definitely be valuable to the lodge.

Especially one where he was a member.

When a Mason dies, his family often brings his rings to the Lodge, where they are put in a special place for a while, then other members may have them if they will wear them.

I have one from a member of my original Lodge from 1904.  I am the 4th Mason to wear it and when I am gone it will go back to the Lodge, if it still exists, so another Mason may wear it.

I currently wear a ring my Grandpa wore from his lodge.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 11:34:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: entropy] [#50]
But they are dissolved. Is there a  national organization that may be interested?

Alternative is to melt the jewels and ebay the rest.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top