Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2023 9:50:01 PM EDT
I’ve never had any interest in bolt actions, because I’m left-handed, as I said, in the title. So I’m listening to some gun talk a few days ago and I overheard a very bold statement. Someone who seem to really know his stuff claimed that if France had not gotten knocked out of the war so early, the MAS 36 would have gone down in history as the ultimate bolt action battle rifle. He claimed that it was superior in every way to any other bolt action rifle of that era, and was also the most modern. Now that last part I know to be true.

But he also said it fired the best cartridge. I have always been told that the 30.06 was the ultimate cartridge of World War II but that could just be American cock waving. I really don’t know.  I tend to be skeptical of anything French. So what do you guys think?

Might as well get the “only dropped once” jokes out-of-the-way early, but hopefully there will be some people who can educate me about this, because this betrayed a huge gap in my firearms knowledge.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Awkward bolt handle, strange needle like bayonet.  It's just not that great.  I don't remember the sights.  I put a box of ammo through one about ten years ago.  It was unremarkable.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The only drawback is not having a safety.
France made more contributions to modern arms then you give them credit for. Do some homework and then get back to us.

Yes, I own a MAS 36.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Super rifle - quite a few  have been modified for the .308

Since you failed to post a pic...

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I once bought a 36.  The one I got was junk.  Goofy bolt, expensive, hard to find ammo, dumb bayonet and inaccurate.  I sold it after two boxes of ammo.
"Ultimate bolt action rifle"....far from it.  K-98 Mauser or 1903 Sprigfield would be more deserving of that title than a surrender rifle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#6]
It was never intended to be the ultimate battle rifle.  The intent was for it to be like the M1 Carbine of France.  The main infantry guys were supposed to have a semi-auto rifle, and the truck drivers and artillery guys could have something more basic.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#7]
In the grand scheme of things I doubt each side’s choice of small arms made much of a difference IMO
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#8]
The mas-36 was intended to be a REMF rifle, with many parts commonality for the MAS-40 semi auto for the front line troops.  It was... "delayed" till 1944 ( (culminating in thr rather handy MAS-49/56 still in 7.5x54.

fun fact: the french did not go with nato 7.62x51 and stuck with their 7.5x54 french (till the 80s when the famas came on the scene)

these rifles are good not great, and used to be dirt cheap till another damned southpaw made them popular.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The mas-36 was intended to be a REMF rifle, with many parts commonality for the MAS-40 semi auto for the front line troops.  It was... "delayed" till 1944 ( (culminating in thr rather handy MAS-49/56 still in 7.5x54.

fun fact: the french did not go with nato 7.62x51 and stuck with their 7.5x54 french (till the 80s when the famas came on the scene)

these rifles are good not great, and used to be dirt cheap till another damned southpaw made them popular.
View Quote

The MAS-49/56 is pretty kickass.

Except for the 10-round magazine.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’ve never had any interest in bolt actions, because I’m left-handed,as I said, in the title. So I’m listening to some gun talk a few days ago and I overheard a very bold statement. Someone who seem to really know his stuff claimed that if France had not gotten knocked out of the war so early, the MAS 36 would have gone down in history as the ultimate bolt action battle rifle. He claimed that it was superior in every way to any other bolt action rifle of that era, and was also the most modern. Now that last part I know to be true.

But he also said it fired the best cartridge. I have always been told that the 30.06 was the ultimate cartridge of World War II but that could just be American cock waving. I really don’t know.  I tend to be skeptical of anything French. So what do you guys think?

Might as well get the “only dropped once” jokes out-of-the-way early, but hopefully there will be some people who can educate me about this, because this betrayed a huge gap in my firearms knowledge.
View Quote

That’s sad. I shoot rifles left handed and every bolt action I own is right handed. Shoot pistols righty though. Cross eye dominant.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The MAS-49/56 is pretty kickass.

Except for the 10-round magazine.  
View Quote

how that mag attached (ungainly external clip into a divot in the reciever) shows the mas36/40 legacy.  The 40 was gonna be a 5rd clip fed semi... in 44 they realized that was terrible and did 10rd box mags but were stuck with the reciever.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]
dont let being a lefty slow you down:

k31s have after-market LH bolt handles.
swedish mauser straight handle cock on close operate fairly easy for lefties
finn mosin M39... they are much nicer than any other mosin and are equally difficult to work RH or LH

cz used to make the 527, a mini-mauser action in LH in .223
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Not a lefty, but I almost bought one back in the late 90s at a gunshow.  It was chambered in the French caliber and they were going for around 150$ iirc.

Well I ended up passing because after I handled it for a few minutes it felt like a toy compared to a mauser or enfield.  The build quality just didn't impress me.   Plus the French ammo was high even back then.

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Funny that somebody mentioned the M1 carbine. The guy who inspired this thread also compared the MAS 36 to the M1 carbine. He stated that just as the M1 carbine was meant to be a PDW, and ended up becoming a reasonable facsimile of an early assault rifle, the MAS 36 was meant to be, simple, handy, and not focused on 2000 m area fire applications like so many other bolt action rifles from that time period, and this ended up, making it a far more practical rifle for what was at the time, the modern battlefield. I guess he was suggesting that as bolt action rifles go it was better suited for close range, engagements, kind of like an assault rifle. Those are my words, but his sentiment.

I know it’s often times a matter of opinion, but I was always told that the SMLE had the slickest bolt and the fastest action, but, this guy was claiming that the MAS 36 was better than the Enfield. Yet there are people here in this thread, stating that the bolt handle is awkward. I wouldn’t know because I’ve never worked one. The only bolt action military rifle that I own is a Mosin Nagant M 44 carbine. I think somebody gave it to me, and I kept it because I can work the bolt with my left hand, but even though I have a sealed tin of ammunition, for it, I have never fired it.

Wasn’t the MAS 36 also cheap, light, and easy to manufacture, compared to other contemporary bolt actions?
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’ve never had any interest in bolt actions, because I’m left-handed, as I said, in the title.
View Quote

Left handed here and this makes no sense at all. Lefties have an inherent advantage shooting a bolt gun with bolt on right hand side, particularly for rapid bench rest or prone shooting.  

Our trigger fingers never need to leave the trigger while our support hand works the bolt.  Try it.  It is very fast and efficient as a Lefty. In fact, I steer clear of left handed bolt guns for this very reason.

ETA: I forgot to mention this works best on short action bolts like 6.5, 6.8, .308, etc. Long action bolts can create an issue where you need to rotate your cheek off the rest to allow bolt knob to clear your face. In short actions, the ergo's are very fast and efficient.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Are they safe in .308, or dumpster fires?
Quoted:

Our trigger fingers never need to leave the trigger while our support hand works the bolt.  Try it.  It is very fast and efficient as a Lefty. In fact, I steer clear of left handed bolt guns for this very reason.
View Quote
I split the hell out of my thumb knuckle trying this once.  Do not recommend.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Left handed here and this makes no sense at all. Lefties have an inherent advantage shooting a bolt gun with bolt on right hand side, particularly for rapid bench rest or prone shooting.  

View Quote

When I was a kid, I had a bolt action 22 rifle that I shot all of the time. That’s exactly how I fired it. I kept it shouldered and held it with my left hand, and used my right hand to work the bolt. I could do that because the rifle was so light, and the bolt was so short that it didn’t jab me in the face when I pulled it to the rear. When I have tried to work the bolt on military bolt actions, I have found them to be too heavy to hold up using my firing hand, and the bolt comes back far enough that I have to lift my head off the stock, and can’t use my cheek to help support the weapon. I suppose I can give it another try the next time somebody wants to let me play around with their bolt action battle rifle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Have a left handed friend big into shooting (aren't we all?). Asked him if his bolt guns were left handed. He says he can shoot right handed bolt guns faster. Cool story, bro, I know
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I split the hell out of my thumb knuckle trying this once.  Do not recommend.
View Quote

Yeah, if you aren't familiar or experienced with the ergo's this can happen on some rifles.  You just need to educate yourself and be mindful. Advantages are huge.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Like the feel and the look, but the front sight alone leaves much to be desired.

Good, solid option.  Looks sexy lined up with MAS semis.  I'd still take an Enfield if forced into battle.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That’s sad. I shoot rifles left handed and every bolt action I own is right handed. Shoot pistols righty though. Cross eye dominant.
View Quote

I am the same and I think this helps a lot. I learned to shoot pistols left handed and using a weird angle to sight with my right eye, but decided that ain't right and trained to shoot righty.

So I am ambi with a pistol now and shoot rifles right handed. Makes life easier for sure.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#22]
If I was unfortunate enough to have to go to war with a bolt action rifle it would be a 1917 Enfield. The sights are great for actual combat shooting and the action runs well under stress. The 1903 is a Mauser target rifle, the 98K is a refreshed but unrefined WW1 Mauser rifle, and other options just don't have the sights for combat vs target shooting.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#23]
They are simple, and pretty solid.  Being basically the last major bolt action adopted for service, they should be better than everything else.  By the late 30's, autoloaders are a thing and thus all bolt actions are a step behind.  

On the other hand, I like my 36/51 but it isn't my favorite.  I really want to find some 7.5 blank ammo and shoot my dummy grenade someday.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry OP but that title made me lol! That’s all I got!
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Got one that's completely unserialized other than a lot mark next to the barrel shank (a "5")

No import marks and the barrel has 1940 on it
Original "stove paint" type finish

Could be a French Resistance gun
Could be a captured gun that the Germans gave to the Vichy French in Normady or North Africa
Could be one of the guns on the assembly line and "tossed out the back door" while Paris was being invaded in 1940

Hard to say but if wood and steel could talk, I'd love to hear the story of how it got here.

Shoots great with my reloads in the original caliber

Would love to take it deer hunting someday
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Funny that somebody mentioned the M1 carbine. The guy who inspired this thread also compared the MAS 36 to the M1 carbine. He stated that just as the M1 carbine was meant to be a PDW, and ended up becoming a reasonable facsimile of an early assault rifle, the MAS 36 was meant to be, simple, handy, and not focused on 2000 m area fire applications like so many other bolt action rifles from that time period, and this ended up, making it a far more practical rifle for what was at the time, the modern battlefield. I guess he was suggesting that as bolt action rifles go it was better suited for close range, engagements, kind of like an assault rifle. Those are my words, but his sentiment.

I know it’s often times a matter of opinion, but I was always told that the SMLE had the slickest bolt and the fastest action, but, this guy was claiming that the MAS 36 was better than the Enfield. Yet there are people here in this thread, stating that the bolt handle is awkward. I wouldn’t know because I’ve never worked one. The only bolt action military rifle that I own is a Mosin Nagant M 44 carbine. I think somebody gave it to me, and I kept it because I can work the bolt with my left hand, but even though I have a sealed tin of ammunition, for it, I have never fired it.

Wasn’t the MAS 36 also cheap, light, and easy to manufacture, compared to other contemporary bolt actions?
View Quote

The SMLE has a far better bolt action. The Mas36 is ok for what it is. Trigger on the one I shot ages ago was total shit. Sights are good for a ww2 bolt action.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#27]
7.5 French is a pretty soft recoiling straight shooting cartridge.
It cycles quickly.

I'd rather have a garand.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#28]
In our CMP matches we have at least 2 lefties who shoot right handed bolts including the rapid-fire stage.
It's impressive and still obviously a lot of work.

Too much for me. I shoot semis or left handed bolts in anything with rapids and/or sling prone.

Right bolts are great bench or prone supported.

Savage makes a full line of left bolts, rimfire and centerfire.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:07:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Laughs in k31.  

The k31 will even fire 7.5 French (though I don't recommend you do so), but the MAS won't fire 7.5 Swiss.

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Way too many generalizations in that suggestion from your friend OP. Sounds along the lines of "The germans took a hunting rifle to war, the Americans a target rifle, etc....". Just a bunch of gun store bs and the desire to categorize EVERYTHING without increasing knowledge.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#31]
The Lebanese use 7.62 versions as sniper rifles. They also use a shitty French scope on a terrible mounting system.

I wasn’t impressed at all. An old school M24 with an M3 ultra scope would outshoot those things all day long.

As a general issue battle rifle in WW2 I’m sure they were not bad.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:34:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Just be like Private Jackson...

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I had a bunch of right handed bolt actions once. After I bought my first correct action, I sold off my right hand action guns. If you’re shooting off a bench at a range (only) the right hand guns will do. Any field work involved will be better accomplished with a left handed rifle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If I was unfortunate enough to have to go to war with a bolt action rifle it would be a 1917 Enfield. The sights are great for actual combat shooting and the action runs well under stress. The 1903 is a Mauser target rifle, the 98K is a refreshed but unrefined WW1 Mauser rifle, and other options just don't have the sights for combat vs target shooting.
View Quote

This. The 1917 is the ultimate combat bolt action.

The Mas is not comparable to an M1 carbine. The 36 weighs over 8lbs and is firing a full power rifle round. Just because it was designed to be cheap and simple, doesn't mean its a PDW.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought one probably going on ten years ago and have made regular use of them since.

In my opinion, its main advantage is in its simplicity. Not many parts to it, so there’s not much to go wrong. It’s also pretty compact.

They’re as good as most rifles of the era for accuracy, but it isn’t the easiest rifle to shoot due to its heavy trigger and rather thick front sight.

The length of pull is quite short and, combined with the steel recoil pad, recoil is quite substantial, although I use a loading which is heavier than the service cartridge.

I like the cartridge but not as much as .30-06. It’s very similar to 7.62x51mm. Not keen on the stripper clips - they’re sharp!

It was designed to be ‘retard proof’. I do not like the zeroing procedure or the anti-tamper screws.

Not sure how trustworthy the bayonet attachment method would be. I had a worn one that would dump the bayonet under recoil.

I wouldn’t pick one over the SMLE or various Enfield carbines in a fight.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

ETA: I forgot to mention this works best on short action bolts like 6.5, 6.8, .308, etc. Long action bolts can create an issue where you need to rotate your cheek off the rest to allow bolt knob to clear your face. In short actions, the ergo's are very fast and efficient.
View Quote

rapid fire prone?  lol not with a sling.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 12:16:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Lebanese use 7.62 versions as sniper rifles. They also use a shitty French scope on a terrible mounting system.

I wasn’t impressed at all. An old school M24 with an M3 ultra scope would outshoot those things all day long.

As a general issue battle rifle in WW2 I’m sure they were not bad.
View Quote

To be fair the FR-F1/2 are based on the MAS-36 action, and they are both pretty decent sniper rifle wise even with "shitty french scopes". Its just that they are totally unknown to US shooters.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 12:17:03 AM EDT
[#38]
All I know is I want one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#39]
I've got one. All matching serial numbers and all original condition.

Mine is a pre-WWII rifle...made around 1938.

I like it. Handy, short little bolt gun with a cool bayonet system.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Whatever bolt action you choose, you might want to watch Saving Private Ryan and watch how the sniper operates his bolt.

I use the left pinky to open the bolt.

Heroic Sniper VS German Tank | Saving Private Ryan | CLIP
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#43]
First time I tried to work one I was like " WTF" is this shit! But , once you get used to it they work pretty fast.

Again , not the greatest rifle for its time , but not the worst either. The .308 conversions were hit or miss , with most being misses. I dumped all my French stuff about 15 years ago when I consolidated calibers , but it was a decent shooting round.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top