Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2024 11:42:22 AM EDT
Who doesnt love the story of King Arthur and the sword in the stone (not a sword dork). I love yard projects and have wanted to do this project for a long time. Pics for motivation:

As I have some time due to getting whacked about a month, better than spending every waking moment on the computer.

I was thinking that I could do this a few ways:

-Build giant stone out of concrete. You can easily make concrete look like real stone. Pour cement around sword. Weather to your hearts content.

-Get a big ass stone (have it delivered) and bore hole into it and insert sword with epoxy. Weather opening.

Than you let ivy and moss grow, install spot lights. Thought it would look awesome in the yard.

Excalibur - The Sword in the Stone
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Think of how you're gonna keep the sword preserved sitting outside. The whole idea doesn't work too well when Excalibur turns out to be a rusty chunk of crap.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Think of how you're gonna keep the sword preserved sitting outside. The whole idea doesn't work too well when Excalibur turns out to be a rusty chunk of crap.
View Quote

Yes,  one of the great failings of our society is that we haven't figured out how to create exterior metallic structures

Also, you're thinking small.... make the blade out of etched poly-carbonate and have it illuminated from inside the rock!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thought about that - sword blade should be stainless or aluminum. The rest is made of brass, copper, aluminum, stainless. Stuff that doesnt get the rust problem that steel does.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes,  one of the great failings of our society is that we haven't figured out how to create exterior metallic structures

Also, you're thinking small.... make the blade out of etched poly-carbonate and have it illuminated from inside the rock!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now thats a wild idea about the polycarbonate.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Put one of thes electric fire door magnets in the base on a hidden switch so you can walk up and pull the sword out like no big deal after your neighbor gives himself a hernia trying
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Put one of thes electric fire door magnets in the base on a hidden switch so you can walk up and pull the sword out like no big deal after your neighbor gives himself a hernia trying
View Quote

You would have been a great Popular Science project writer back in the 50’s.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Embed an electromagnet inside the cement stone.  Make it strong enough to keep the sword in the stone until it's turned off.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Collect a good bit (it mulches way down) of active moss and lichen and toss it in a blender with a cup of plain yogurt. Paint the stone with the resulting paste, it'll "weather" the stone and speed the aging process significantly.

I'd let the sword age naturally. Depending on what you use, it won't take long exposed to the elements.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#11]
FYI  There ae variations of the story.  Also the reverse, of a warrior who retired his sword, jamming it into a crack in a rock, then he became a monk.  Two places supposedly have his sword.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Instead of a pointed tip use an anchor shaped end.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Superman did that when he was magnetic, he hovered by to help the hero pull it out.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Yup stainless blade, cut it off and drill out the stone and epoxy it in.

Easy enough to do.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#15]
In. This is a very cool project.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Pretty cool idea! Can’t wait to see what you build.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#17]
they'reallgonnalaughatyou.gif
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Just put it in the middle of the living room
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:25:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Make sure you electrify it, so ftards who come unannounced onto your property learn their lesson.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Search amazon for "plastic rock".  Pick out a nice one, insert sword, fill with concrete.

ETA: "faux rock"
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got a hollow artificial rock covering my well head. They can be bought at Lowes/Home Depot or Amazon.

Being hollow would make it easier to rig up lights for a polycarbonate blade.

ETA: Beat like a rented mule
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Buy sword, cut sword,drill some holes towards the cut end for epoxy to grip. Cut slot in rock and Insert in the hole then inject with tinted epoxy. It probably only needsto bein the stone 2"
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Get a boulder, drill a hole 7/8 the way through it. Fill with dexpan, splitting the boulder. Get a diamond blade for a grinder, hollow out each half where the sword will sit. Epoxy boulder halves back together, then insert the sword (or epoxy it in there)

neat idea OP!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Wouldn't an ink pen in a rock be better?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Pen holder!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Go modern! Use a keyboard instead of a sword/pen...
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Tom Venables approves!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#30]
If you end up doing a real stone, see if you can get a hold of a chainsaw with diamond segments, or hire a concrete cutting company to do the job. That way you can plunge cut a slot for the sword instead of core drilling a hole. It would look better imho.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Get a real sword with iron fittings. Find some place that will melonite the whole thing. Use a rot resistant wood and wire wrap for the grip and you will have a sword which will stand up to the elements for a long time. And the sword will be completely black.

Then do the rock thing and declare that whoever pulls it out will be the "King of All Evil"
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Be prepared for Bubba coming with a chain to attach to his truck...

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#33]
This might be a good candidate... the grip/hilt is solid brass, will survive weathering better than most sword hits.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Also, you can’t expect to wield supreme executive power just ’cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Embed an electromagnet inside the cement stone.  Make it strong enough to keep the sword in the stone until it's turned off.
View Quote

Electromagnets for pool gates or access doors can be either Fail=Safe where the door is unlocked, or Fail=Secure for door being locked when power goes down.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lolol. I’d be the asshole with the hernia!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Cool idea.

I prefer my swords to be thrown to me by a watery tart.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like that, just do it with a neighbor you trust and like who does not mind blowing his guts out for the sake of a gag.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#39]
It’s these kind of quality threads that are missing from here of late.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thought about that - sword blade should be stainless or aluminum. The rest is made of brass, copper, aluminum, stainless. Stuff that doesnt get the rust problem that steel does.
View Quote

Make the blade out of Cor-ten steel, which develops a thin rust patina that does not corrode further; make the hilt out of bronze.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Hell, yeah. Have drunken BBQs and watch the fun as drunks try to pull the sword out.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Fake rock

Few bags of quickcrete

Instead of an electromagnet, what about a hidden pin?  Drill a hole through the blade that the pin can go into.  Use a magnet on the side of the rock / end of the pin to move pin one way to unlock the blade, other pole of the magnet to push the pin to lock the blade.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hell, yeah. Have drunken BBQs and watch the fun as drunks try to pull the sword out.
View Quote

If you use a plastic rock full of concrete, you can leave space for a big spring.  Let them see who can pull it our the farthest before the spring sucks it back in.  lol!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Cast the sword you want. Maybe aluminum/brass/copper, or iron.

I would recommend using the sand box and wax loss method, you find it on YouTube. ( whats in the box lol!)

In the mold, you’re gonna wanna pour a big ingot/ block at the end of the sword, then you encase that in concrete and make it look like stone.

You don’t want some idiot walking by your yard really yanking out that sword.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#45]
You guys have given me so many ideas.

I am thinking the rock should be made of cement or a real stone.

If I do it with cement I can get a pretty good sized rock by using an under base. I have a ton of broken brick and stone on the property so I could use that for the guts of the rock - kind of like cinder block when building steps. I can get a pretty good sized mound that way and will cement it all together with liquid nails and leave a slot for the sword. I will start filling it with cement. Than I will cover the outside of it with fine portland cement and sculpt to my hearts content. Color and paint as needed.

I like this idea of splitting the rock and cutting a slot into it. I have a quarry place nearby that does decorative stone. They might be able to do it for me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#46]
For further inspiration:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top