BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He should teach the Air Force to build hangars...
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Exactly. We didn't know about the strength and structure benefits to concrete 50 years ago. And there were no such things as hurricane back then either.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why is his deck so narrow? You cant even stretch your legs out on that thing. Hardly even get past the chair
View Quote
Probably part of the wind resistant design like small roof overhangs that help keep roofs on.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Oh yeh - A little Windex will fix that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The three-floor home's ground floor was destroyed, as was the staircase leading to the middle floor.
Oh yeh - A little Windex will fix that.
Often stilt houses like that are designed for the ground floor to be sacrificial.  Rather than resist the storm surge they are intended to allow water to flow through once their partitions fail.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:57:40 AM EDT
[#5]
One thing I've noticed in the various pictures of the rubble is a virtual absence of Simpson type brackets.  I suspect much of the construction predates Andrew.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Like many in Mexico Beach, nobody could have predicted that a Category 4 hurricane would directly hit the town.

More
View Quote
BS comment.   You are on the beach in Florida.   You are at risk of hurricane strikes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:10:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They're now designing houses in hurricane zones with a ground floor designed to be destroyed - or no care is given to build it to withstand the surge water.  It's not a main living area.  It's the utility space which brings up electrical power, sewer, water, etc to/from the living floors.  The walls are designed to give way while the support columns keep the upper floors safe.  The water comes in, takes out everything in the ground floor except the pilings, and then allows the water to recede once the hurricane is over.

After the hurricane, you bring in an electrician, a plumber, and general construction workers to rebuild the lower walls.  You're back in a livable house in a few weeks.

I would design in some type of roll-down door for the windows on the seaward side.  Flying debris could still cause windows to break and water to get in.
View Quote
Except when getting a contractor to commit to showing up within a few weeks doesn't work.

The work may be simple, but even with busy rain seasons roofers and others hardly make it out within a few months in many areas.  Even in disaster zones, take the deposit and pray to hear back.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice job building these 2 house.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I hope he gets an insurance discount for building his home that way.

Every home that's rebuilt needs to be built like that.
View Quote
It’s extraordinarily expensive and if implemented—like they did in south Florida after Andrew—it will end up in a barren coast.  People will not be able to afford to rebuild.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A guy out here on Pensacola Beach did a “hurricane proof” house. Actually had a news crew brave/stupid enough to stay in the house with him as he rode out Hurricane Ivan.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/310516/A0009CE2-DB35-47A0-8A08-7CE3F52E2267_jpeg-705860.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/310516/9734FC05-77C3-4A79-B274-878472BCEAE7_jpeg-705861.JPG

Some slight water intrusion at a door was about all the damage the main living area incurred, IIRC.
View Quote
Paging 1BigBunker.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:20:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Exactly. We didn't know about the strength and structure benefits to concrete 50 years ago. And there were no such things as hurricane back then either.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean the hangars that were built 50 years ago?
Not sure if serious.

You serious, Clark?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:22:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Climate change and stronger stroms.... blah blah.

Total BS.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why is his deck so narrow? You cant even stretch your legs out on that thing. Hardly even get past the chair
View Quote
That's the 3rd floor deck. Do you see the wider 2nd floor deck lower in the picture?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#14]
King said he believes climate change is a major factor causing the increasingly destructive storms that will make it harder to live near the coasts in future decades.

'I believe the planet’s getting warmer and the storms are getting stronger,' said King.

'We didn’t used to have storms like this. So people who live on the coast have to be ready for it.'
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The point was pretty clear. We need more government regulation (which Arf is supposed to hate) because the same people get their houses destroyed every time a storm hits (which is just a retarded lie).

My Mom and Aunt were both widowed in their 40s. They live together in a house that's of good quality (slab, brick, shingle) and has been paid off for years. It's insured by State Farm. They both worked careers (school admin and nurse) and then retired. They've never taken a dime of public assistance. They don't live on the beach or anywhere near it, really. They live in a nice quiet residential neighborhood that's full of Air Force families from Tyndall.

Last week for the very first time in their lives their house was rendered uninhabitable because a hurricane ripped off their roof and then, to add insult to injury, blew the massive sycamore tree in the back yard onto the house. They're staying with family in Alabama. No one knows when (or if) they'll be able to return home. Their world has been completely turned upside down through no fault of their own.

But, obviously, the real victim in this story is you.
View Quote
Sorry this happened to your family, hurricanes are right up there is tornadoes, just under earthquakes.

And now the reality is they will need some sort of gov assistance to be made close to "whole". If not - good for them.

If they DO need gov assistance - like in all other cases, do you think the people (all of "us") who cut those checks, should have any say in how our money is spent, or the terms on which we lend money
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is President Trump’s fault, Gobal Warming and all that!
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
King said he believes climate change is a major factor causing the increasingly destructive storms that will make it harder to live near the coasts in future decades.

'I believe the planet's getting warmer and the storms are getting stronger,' said King.

'We didn't used to have storms like this. So people who live on the coast have to be ready for it.'
View Quote
King is dumb.  Or dishonest.  Or both.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He should teach the Air Force to build hangars...
Yeah, the hangars that were built by the lowest bidder.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Damn, spend all that money on the house and don't build a deck big enough to walk past a chair.
View Quote
That walk way was more about being able to do maintenance on the third floor exterior with out renting a boom lift. The second floor had the living space deck.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I suspect that between the overhead in hurricane-proofing the house during construction, and the cost of repairing the damage the house did sustain from Michael, the stick-shanty builders are probably coming out ahead.  The value in the property down there isn't in the structures.
View Quote
I was thinking the same thing.  I'm not seeing any monetary return on the investment. Would be cheaper to rebuild most likely. I can appreciate the effort, but not sure I'd do it the same way. If you are going to live on the beach in an area prone to hurricanes, make the structure part the disposable aspect of th investment....and keep things that can't be replaced at another site. Seems like that would be the wiser investment. To me anyway.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Looters will take care of it now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My mother and Aunt live together in Panama City. Mom is 70 and Aunt is 84. This is the first time either has had a hurricane damage their house. In other words, the same people don't get their shit caved in over and over again. But, hey, you keep looking down your nose and wagging your finger at people that lost everything big man.
View Quote
I'm not looking down my nose or wagging my finger at anybody, Junior.

You're flat out wrong in your 'shit caving' theory. There are numerous instances of areas that have been hit by multiple hurricanes. Galveston, TX comes to mind. It was hit in 1980 by Danielle, 1983 by Alicia, 1989 by Jerry, 2005 by Rita, 2007 by Humberto, 2008 by Gustav and Ike,  and 2017 by Harvey.

The Panama City/Mexico Beach area has been hit in 1953 by Florence, 1966 by Alma, 1985 by Kate, and 1998 by Earl.

I don't have a problem with helping people rebuild...but if they're on a barrier island or on the beach the building codes need to be strengthened. The building code in Panama City as they've been until recently - had shelters that needed to be evacuated because they were only built to withstand 120 mph winds.

But, hey, you feel free to spew your bullshit about something you obviously have little if any knowledge about and insult someone for advocating for safer building codes for hurricane prone areas.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is the first one to hit that area, ever.  Or for as long as they've been keeping records, anyway. Saying Mexico Beach was eventually bound to be hit by a Cat 4 is like saying the Earth's gonna get hit by an asteroid. It is... the question is when.

A lot of folks built their homes down there, retired and lived a happy beach life until they died.  The people who just lost everything down there were playing the odds - just like everybody else who owns beachfront property - and this time they lost.
View Quote
Where do you guys get this shit. The Panama City/Mexico Beach area has been lucky since 1998, but there is a litany of hurricanes that have hit that area over the years.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A guy out here on Pensacola Beach did a “hurricane proof” house. Actually had a news crew brave/stupid enough to stay in the house with him as he rode out Hurricane Ivan.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/310516/A0009CE2-DB35-47A0-8A08-7CE3F52E2267_jpeg-705860.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/310516/9734FC05-77C3-4A79-B274-878472BCEAE7_jpeg-705861.JPG

Some slight water intrusion at a door was about all the damage the main living area incurred, IIRC.
View Quote
Should have splurged on the hurricane proof grass.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don’t know if I want to be the house standing. If my neighborhood is completely destroyed , take my home with it cause the property value will plummet
View Quote
The mansions on Hatteras Island laugh at your silly premise.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:. It’s extraordinarily expensive and if implemented—like they did in south Florida after Andrew—it will end up in a barren coast.  People will not be able to afford to rebuild.
View Quote
I'm ok with this.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing.  I'm not seeing any monetary return on the investment. Would be cheaper to rebuild most likely. I can appreciate the effort, but not sure I'd do it the same way. If you are going to live on the beach in an area prone to hurricanes, make the structure part the disposable aspect of th investment....and keep things that can't be replaced at another site. Seems like that would be the wiser investment. To me anyway.
View Quote
Not just no, but no fucking way - and it's not just the financial cost of rebuilding. Most people have sentimental shit in their homes that to them are near priceless. A hurricane resistant house protects the occupants if they are foolish enough to stay and most if not all of the contents of the house above the projected high water mark.

To the people who talk about diminished property values  - of course, because we build more land in the USA daily, and especially beach front property. (In other words, beachfront property values may DIP, but mostly trend upwards until there is no more beach due to massive erosion).
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don’t know if I want to be the house standing. If my neighborhood is completely destroyed , take my home with it cause the property value will plummet
View Quote
The value will probably go up significantly  within 3 years. As someone else pointed out, the value of oceanfront property is  not in the structures. A bunch of substandard structures in Mexico Beach just got cleaned out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hope he gets an insurance discount for building his home that way.

Every home that's rebuilt needs to be built like that.
View Quote
All this.

In MAGA, houses should smile at hurricanes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Winning!

The county will probably tell him he has to tear it down anyways. Compromised something or other.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A beach house plan of more recent times has the expectation that the first floor will be blown out while maintaining structural integrity.
View Quote
Storm surge. Rushing water. Would think it was a given.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
A guy who built dome homes for a living used to be a regular on here. Knew his shit. Some great designs. And the exterior could withstand .308 gunfire...
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#33]
"We didn't used to have storms like this..."

Global warming, blah blah blah.

Sure asshole, the gulf coast has never seen hurricanes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Where do you guys get this shit. The Panama City/Mexico Beach area has been lucky since 1998, but there is a litany of hurricanes that have hit that area over the years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the first one to hit that area, ever.  Or for as long as they've been keeping records, anyway. Saying Mexico Beach was eventually bound to be hit by a Cat 4 is like saying the Earth's gonna get hit by an asteroid. It is... the question is when.

A lot of folks built their homes down there, retired and lived a happy beach life until they died.  The people who just lost everything down there were playing the odds - just like everybody else who owns beachfront property - and this time they lost.
As you probably know, hurricanes are not things that lend themselves to simple forecasts, simple ratings, or simple historical observations.  There may have been a number of storms that hit a particular area, but what part of the storm, at what state of tide, at what level of sustained winds?  Mexico Beach would be in dramatically better shape had that storm been a few miles one way or the other.  They got hit by the eye wall in the more destructive segment. Panama City can say they were hit by a Category 4 storm and had relatively little damage, but with hurricanes being what they are that statement would be complete bullshit.  It's really only a relatively tiny area of the storm that produces such damage.

The woefully inadequate and misleading Saffir-Simpson scale needs to be revisited.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspect that between the overhead in hurricane-proofing the house during construction, and the cost of repairing the damage the house did sustain from Michael, the stick-shanty builders are probably coming out ahead.  The value in the property down there isn't in the structures.
You should go build trailer parks in Oklahoma
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Smart guy. Anyone who builds wood on the coast is a fool.

House I'm planning to build in ~3 years will be ICF, and I'm not even on the coast. Planning on doing 8" walls and a standing seam roof.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Childs play.

Heres a dude from my home town. House is basically poured concrete and storm windows.
https://homesoftherich.net/2008/10/hutchinson-island-mega-mansion/

Other than flooding the place is a 50,000 sq ft bunker.

Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Causing your taxes to go down and making the lots next to you affordable. What a horrible situation!
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm with you, brother. We're going to have to mandate much more robust structures along the coasts.

This country can't just keep paying people to rebuild their homes that will be destroyed by the next storm.
View Quote
This is where they built their houses - FEMA shouldn't be paying them shit since they knew the risks;

Or if we do have to bail them out we should take the property under eminent domain so they can't build there again - they can all take their checks & build new houses somewhere else...
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#40]
So it's built up to New Florida keys building code?

Cool.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Childs play.

Heres a dude from my home town. House is basically poured concrete and storm windows.
https://homesoftherich.net/2008/10/hutchinson-island-mega-mansion/

Other than flooding the place is a 50,000 sq ft bunker.

https://homesoftherichest.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/roberteustace.jpg?w=300
View Quote
Hah! I know that place, used to drive by it all the time going out to the powerplant to fish.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The point was pretty clear. We need more government regulation (which Arf is supposed to hate) because the same people get their houses destroyed every time a storm hits (which is just a retarded lie).

My Mom and Aunt were both widowed in their 40s. They live together in a house that's of good quality (slab, brick, shingle) and has been paid off for years. It's insured by State Farm. They both worked careers (school admin and nurse) and then retired. They've never taken a dime of public assistance. They don't live on the beach or anywhere near it, really. They live in a nice quiet residential neighborhood that's full of Air Force families from Tyndall.

Last week for the very first time in their lives their house was rendered uninhabitable because a hurricane ripped off their roof and then, to add insult to injury, blew the massive sycamore tree in the back yard onto the house. They're staying with family in Alabama. No one knows when (or if) they'll be able to return home. Their world has been completely turned upside down through no fault of their own.

But, obviously, the real victim in this story is you.
View Quote
And the rest of the taxpayers should have to feed, clothe, & house them; then pay for their repairs because? ____________

We want less government - meaning we don't have to pay these people for their bad decisions - if you choose to build on the beach then that's on you.
And if we do have to reimburse you for your loss, then we should get the land in return so we don't have to do it again next time...
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is where they built their houses - FEMA shouldn't be paying them shit since they knew the risks;

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/10/15/12/5056130-6275177-image-a-8_1539604766456.jpg

Or if we do have to bail them out we should take the property under eminent domain so they can't build there again - they can all take their checks & build new houses somewhere else...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm with you, brother. We're going to have to mandate much more robust structures along the coasts.

This country can't just keep paying people to rebuild their homes that will be destroyed by the next storm.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/10/15/12/5056130-6275177-image-a-8_1539604766456.jpg

Federal flood insurance should only pay once for any given parcel of land.  Rebuild in the same spot and you're on your own.  I would only make an exception for farms actively engaged in agriculture.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NY solutions...

Or we just change / enforce building codes and prosecute municipalities that let them slip for political reasons.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

'I believe the planet’s getting warmer and the storms are getting stronger,' said King.

'We didn’t used to have storms like this. So people who live on the coast have to be ready for it.'
View Quote
King is full of shit.
Long Island was getting hit harder with hurricanes & blizzards in the 70's/80's then it does now...
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Often stilt houses like that are designed for the ground floor to be sacrificial.  Rather than resist the storm surge they are intended to allow water to flow through once their partitions fail.
View Quote
This!  I toured Pawley's Island, SC back in about 1988.  There were two kinds of houses - New ones that weren't on stilts, and old ones that were on stilts.  The raised homes either had no walls or just plywood on the ground floor, obviously designed to blow out in a storm surge or strong wind.  A lot of people stored boats or RVs under their homes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A beach house plan of more recent times has the expectation that the first floor will be blown out while maintaining structural integrity.
View Quote
I’ve rented a house in the Outer Banks in NC. It had the walls in the tiny first floor made to blow out in a storm. One bolt at the top of the wall and one nail at the bottom. The nail was designed to fail and let the wall pivot. Utilities went up through a central stack.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I’ve rented a house in the Outer Banks in NC. It had the walls in the tiny first floor made to blow out in a storm. One bolt at the top of the wall and one nail at the bottom. The nail was designed to fail and let the wall pivot. Utilities went up through a central stack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New building code in the keys requires any first floor room like that to be either permitted engineered or permitted blow out walls.

And the permitting process is a bitch.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It must have a frame made from pipe and have been designed by a fabricator and not some useless engineer.
View Quote
LMAO!! That thread was/is hilarious!
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm not looking down my nose or wagging my finger at anybody, Junior.

You're flat out wrong in your 'shit caving' theory. There are numerous instances of areas that have been hit by multiple hurricanes. Galveston, TX comes to mind. It was hit in 1980 by Danielle, 1983 by Alicia, 1989 by Jerry, 2005 by Rita, 2007 by Humberto, 2008 by Gustav and Ike,  and 2017 by Harvey.

The Panama City/Mexico Beach area has been hit in 1953 by Florence, 1966 by Alma, 1985 by Kate, and 1998 by Earl.

I don't have a problem with helping people rebuild...but if they're on a barrier island or on the beach the building codes need to be strengthened. The building code in Panama City as they've been until recently - had shelters that needed to be evacuated because they were only built to withstand 120 mph winds.

But, hey, you feel free to spew your bullshit about something you obviously have little if any knowledge about and insult someone for advocating for safer building codes for hurricane prone areas.
View Quote
Don't forget New Orleans - hey let's build a city on the coast in a bowl below sea level, then be surprised when it fills up with water & cry for another bailout...
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top