Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#1]
First of all,

FEG made them in the late 70's or so into the early 80's and then deemed it expensive to do as the factory moved into stamped metal setups. It was made for internal domestic use and it was mainly to make parts for it also from the barrel, bolts, gas regulator setups and even the wood.

The SzVD was done in the late term when they were doing the belt fed KGK Korszerü Gorjunov Kolosnyiko or KGK setup and also AK55 and other milled weapons into the 80s and then we went into the PKM.
https://modernfirearms.net/en/machineguns/hungary-machineguns/kgk-eng/
We are starting from scratch from parts we have on hand and sourced domestically in Hungary. It will be assembled by students from a gunsmithing high school who have been trained on it.

FEG went away but it is back and run by engineers and practical gun nerds like myself. We have the warehouse, machinery, tooling, jigs, mandrels, drawings and a warehouse full of parts carefully sealed and put away.

We started with the SA85m which is the semi auto and we have an importer and we made 250 from parts and new receivers. This was a test case to get us back into the US market.

Attachment Attached File

We have an importer and once these are done and if it does well, we have the capacity to make more.

The problem is that another company was kipping and pouching our assemblers and students and the HD18 project wasn't supposed to happen until mid summer but now we needed to get this going so we don't lose our factory trained assemblers.

Fegyvermuszerész hölgyek a Diana Szakképzo Iskolában

This is the school that is helping us. This is a high school dedicated to gunsmithing and probably the one only one that I know of in the world with high school students going into the vocational trade.

These are amazing students trained and many have left to have careers at beretta, CZ, FN, and many other places. Many stayed in Hungary and are master armorers.

In the end, you can pat your belly, put your boogers onto the wall, and get frothy white foamy stuff on the sides of your mouths all day in believing or not believing.

I'm here trying to make it happen.

Sharing this project just helps us get it going but sharing it sadly has led to incidents which I am NOT HAPPY about to even someone from another board AROCKED me at FEG, called my bosses, talked trash about me, said I'm fake
this is not happening...blah blah blah.

my boss told him to fuck off.

I am here.......I am making it happen.. and FEG will come back into the US market.

things in order.

SA85m
HD18
AMD65 pistol format
HI power made with picatinny rail, suppressor adjustable sites, RMR machined base platform on the rear and a threaded barrel, bringing the famed Hi power into the 21st century.
more SA85m in underfolder format.

PKM in semi auto.

KGP 9mm semi auto as told on forgotten weapons. But we will see...

Hungarian KGPF-9: Kalashnikov Genetics in a 9mm SMG

All is possible once we get our foot in the door.

I'm sorry but the prices are set because of labor and cost and that is beyond our control.

The others chiming in are wrong about the price of the SZVD in Europe.

The price is over 3500 to 4000 in the EU market alone and that is just the TIGR setup without GAS ADJUSTMENT.

These are just prices in the various shops I have been to and seen.

We cannnot do the surplus Soviet runs in Hungary until they are old and we have to check the parts if they are not old as we replaced so much parts on the Hungarian army rifles that they are practically all FEG now other than maybe the receiver but we have to check.

Thank you.

BTW, when I come home and if I come home, I am bringing one with me to clone for a US receiver and and work on a parts kit basis so everyone has a sporting chance.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#2]
FEG is a quality manufacturer.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I think Im done buying guns...But I want one.

Biggest regret of my gun life is trading a Tiger Dragunov for a Colt Series 80 back around 1992.

What a fucking retard i was for doing that.

Whats the price on these things ?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I would love to have one, I got to play with a real Dragunov on one of my deployments and have always lusted after one. But life kept getting in the way. Unfortunately life is still in the way, so I can't really afford a an expensive toy at the moment.

This, "HI power made with picatinny rail, suppressor adjustable sites, RMR machined base platform on the rear and a threaded barrel, bringing the famed Hi power into the 21st century.", however, would get me to sell a kidney.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I am working with Tor Tort to make a US receiver and parts kits can come in also once we figure out what is Soviet and not Soviet.

With that, we can get one easily worked out to about 2500 to 3000 depending on various factors.

The hardest part is the barrel.

Last group buy for SzVD barrels was nearly 1500 and they all sold QUICKLY.

those people used the barrels for their TIGR conversions.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You are correct, the Russians use Cyrillic and a different alphabet where their C equals our S

the official designation in Cyrillic is

???´???????? ?????´??? ?????´?? ???????´?? ???????´ 1963 ????
or
Sniper Rifle, System of Dragunov, Model of the Year 1963

yes, Soviet tactics and military doctrine was different than the US.
For most of the 20th Century the US military did not have sniper schools, sniper doctrine, or.....snipers.....

The Soviets had both classical snipers operating two per team as hunters and for recon
as well as Designated Marksman.

I believe the issue is, that since Soviet DM were issued SVDs many get confused and think the Soviets didn't
have traditional snipers. But they did.....

Think about it this way, in 1963 when the Soviets fielded the first rifle built from the ground up for sniping, with
a day optic featuring an illuminated Mil reticle with telemetric rangefinder, BDC
AND the ability to see and engage infrared light, plus a dedicated sniper load developed to enhance accuracy and
terminal performance the United States Army and United States Marine Corps did not even possess a sniper school...
View Quote
I really appreciate your noteworthy and informative contributions to these threads.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#7]
The HD18 may be too rich for my blood but the AMD-65 and KGP? Oh hell yes, the AMD is my favorite AK design and I'm a sucker for oddball subguns
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

this is why no one takes you seriously
View Quote
It's a low production copy of a high production rifle that was only popular in US collector markets due to Cold War mystique. They should be $2500 rifles tops, but people will pay more because it is a copy of a rifle that sells for over $20k. It is basically the gun version of a modern limited run of Hemi Cudas.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not off the top of my head no, not sure where theirs went
@C-4
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't even realize FEG made Dragunov style rifles?

If they did, do you know what happened to theirs?

@TX-Zen
Not off the top of my head no, not sure where theirs went
@C-4
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's a low production copy of a high production rifle rifle that was only popular in US collector markets due to Cold War mystique. They should be $2500 rifles tops, but people will pay more because it is a copy of a rifle that sells for over $20k. It is basically the gun version of a modern limited run of Hemi Cudas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is why no one takes you seriously
It's a low production copy of a high production rifle rifle that was only popular in US collector markets due to Cold War mystique. They should be $2500 rifles tops, but people will pay more because it is a copy of a rifle that sells for over $20k. It is basically the gun version of a modern limited run of Hemi Cudas.
The rifle sells for over 3000 to 4000 euros in Europe brand new but being sanctions are in place from Russia right now, the prices are jumping up in prices.

I am now seeing Chinese made drags now but still after 2500 to 3000 still.

They sell pretty well compared to other rifle systems and setups.

I am seeing them in the 3 gun competition for the long range shooting parts that I attended.

I am seeing weird guns like g3's and surplus FN's and also some rare SCAR's but a good mighty number are Drags.

You can buy it as a straight pull manual rifle in the UK but http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/firearms_svd.htm these guys said they don't know the next shipment and the price is going up to 3000 to 3500 euros and then he said..

"Would you like me to put you on the waiting list?"
This is not even semi auto.

In the end..it is a sought after system all over.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh man this is exciting..my one firearm regret was trading off my Russian Tigr that was a SVD clone. This would be so awesome.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Biggest regret of my gun life is trading a Tiger Dragunov for a Colt Series 80 back around 1992.

View Quote
Bro
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ummm......who said they did previously......
or....how much of these rifles are Soviet era guns
and how much is new made "FEG" is the better
question...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn’t even realize FEG made Dragunov style rifles?
Ummm......who said they did previously......
or....how much of these rifles are Soviet era guns
and how much is new made "FEG" is the better
question...
The ad says “back in production after 40 years” so I interpreted that as they made them previously.  It sounds like from another poster that they did.  Interesting that I never heard of them before today, but unless it hit the U.S. market at some point then it would make sense.

Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
First of all,

FEG made them in the late 70's or so into the early 80's and then deemed it expensive to do as the factory moved into stamped metal setups. It was made for internal domestic use and it was mainly to make parts for it also from the barrel, bolts, gas regulator setups and even the wood.

The SzVD was done in the late term when they were doing the belt fed KGK Korszerü Gorjunov Kolosnyiko or KGK setup and also AK55 and other milled weapons into the 80s and then we went into the PKM.
We are starting from scratch from parts we have on hand and sourced domestically in Hungary. It will be assembled by students from a gunsmithing high school who have been trained on it.

FEG went away but it is back and run by engineers and practical gun nerds like myself. We have the warehouse, machinery, tooling, jigs, mandrels, drawings and a warehouse full of parts carefully sealed and put away.

We started with the SA85m which is the semi auto and we have an importer and we made 250 from parts and new receivers. This was a test case to get us back into the US market.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313126/Document-page-001__1__jpg-958339.JPG

We have an importer and once these are done and if it does well, we have the capacity to make more.

The problem is that another company was kipping and pouching our assemblers and students and the HD18 project wasn't supposed to happen until mid summer but now we needed to get this going so we don't lose our factory trained assemblers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOdF-JfXmJc

This is the school that is helping us. This is a high school dedicated to gunsmithing and probably the one only one that I know of in the world with high school students going into the vocational trade.

These are amazing students trained and many have left to have careers at beretta, CZ, FN, and many other places. Many stayed in Hungary and are master armorers.

In the end, you can pat your belly, put your boogers onto the wall, and get frothy white foamy stuff on the sides of your mouths all day in believing or not believing.

Sharing this project just helps us get it going but sharing it sadly has led to incidents which I am NOT HAPPY about to even someone from another board AROCKED me at FEG, called my bosses, talked trash about me, said I'm fake

I am here.......I am making it happen.. and FEG will come back into the US market.

things in order.

SA85m
HD18
AMD65 pistol format
HI power made with picatinny rail, suppressor adjustable sites, RMR machined base platform on the rear and a threaded barrel, bringing the famed Hi power into the 21st century.

PKM in semi auto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftlgUbz98jY

I'm sorry but the prices are set because of labor and cost and that is beyond our control.

The price is over 3500 to 4000 in the EU market alone and that is just the TIGR setup without GAS ADJUSTMENT.

We cannnot do the surplus Soviet runs in Hungary until they are old and we have to check the parts if they are not old as we replaced so much parts on the Hungarian army rifles that they are practically all FEG now other than maybe the receiver but we have to check.

Thank you.

BTW, when I come home and if I come home, I am bringing one with me to clone for a US receiver and and work on a parts kit basis so everyone has a sporting chance.
View Quote
@Jozsi

Wow, that sounds exciting!

Good luck!  The U.S. gun market is like a sponge and will soak anything it can get.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:38:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
PSLs got that low. Real Drags go for much more, but that is from market demand and not what new mass production would actually cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$500 surplus rifle?
PSLs got that low. Real Drags go for much more, but that is from market demand and not what new mass production would actually cost.
I paid $595 for my PSL. They are OK. I might bring it out once a year. I would never pay the prices they command now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
First of all,

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313126/Document-page-001__1__jpg-958339.JPG

things in order.

SA85m
HD18
AMD65 pistol format

PKM in semi auto.

Thank you.

View Quote
Neat, thanks for the update and more detailed description of the project and cost realities.  To do it right, project will have costs, and I see that more clearly now, thank you.  For what it's worth, I expect a $4k price to still be a success, but if you can squeeze it down to something that starts with a "3", I suspect sales will be a step change better!  As to people who are saying things like $1500 or less, that's not your market, so you can just ignore that.

Regardless, I can't wait for more updates and to start seeing these in the wild.  An SVD is legal in semi-auto division of CMP Vintage Military Sniper category, but I've never seen anyone bring one.  I've won that title at the nationals once with an M1D, and man if I had access to one of these, I would totally run that!
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The rifle sells for over 3000 to 4000 euros in Europe brand new but being sanctions are in place from Russia right now, the prices are jumping up in prices.

I am now seeing Chinese made drags now but still after 2500 to 3000 still.

They sell pretty well compared to other rifle systems and setups.

I am seeing them in the 3 gun competition for the long range shooting parts that I attended.

I am seeing weird guns like g3's and surplus FN's and also some rare SCAR's but a good mighty number are Drags.

You can buy it as a straight pull manual rifle in the UK but http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/firearms_svd.htm these guys said they don't know the next shipment and the price is going up to 3000 to 3500 euros and then he said..

"Would you like me to put you on the waiting list?"
This is not even semi auto.

In the end..it is a sought after system all over.
View Quote
I wish you luck, but with the advent of 6.5 Grendel and sub 1500 AR10 platform rifles this gun has a pretty narrow market segment, especially at the price point it will be offered at. The Euro market does not have quite as many product alternatives and many of those market prices are inflated vs US prices anyway. I like cool guns being on the market, so I hope I am mistaken.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Thinking about it.

A few years ago, CMP sold via auction a number of captured Russian drags. Wonder where they ended up
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Super cool!
I'd like one in .308 like the Norinco 86
View Quote
I've owned PSL's & .308 '86's. With surplus ammo, the PSL was surprisingly accurate for the trigger & action type (minute of milk jug at 500m). Biggest drawback to 7.62x54 accuracy is the lack of true lightweight (appx 150gr) match ammo.
The NDM-86 in .308 using 168 match ammo? 3 shots into .24" CTC at 100m, 4 shots into .44" CTC at 100m. My best shot was a first shot hit on a clay bird at 900m. A chrome-lined semi-auto should *not* be that accurate.
Only reason I no longer own any NDM-86's is the total lack of spare parts. Break/lose something you'd better hope you can find a quality gunsmith somewhere who can custom up a replacement for you.

Tomac

Step daughter shooting my NDM-86 w/3-9x 1P21, she could hit a bowling pin at 500m first time out.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
An SVD has an adjustable gas system, and if it's a clone it will work the same way as the original.
View Quote
TX-Zen knows this, but the rest of the interested parties in this thread should know that the Tiger is not a 'clone', but rather a 'version', and that they eliminated the adjustable gas system from its production.  Standard power only, no adverse setting...
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've owned PSL's & .308 '86's. With surplus ammo, the PSL was surprisingly accurate for the trigger & action type (minute of milk jug at 500m). Biggest drawback to 7.62x54 accuracy is the lack of true lightweight (appx 150gr) match ammo.
The NDM-86 in .308 using 168 match ammo? 3 shots into .24" CTC at 100m, 4 shots into .44" CTC at 100m. My best shot was a first shot hit on a clay bird at 900m. A chrome-lined semi-auto should *not* be that accurate.
Only reason I no longer own any NDM-86's is the total lack of spare parts. Break/lose something you'd better hope you can find a quality gunsmith somewhere who can custom up a replacement for you.

Tomac

Step daughter shooting my NDM-86 w/3-9x 1P21, she could hit a bowling pin at 500m first time out.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1593/Dragunovs_PS90_and_Leah_002_jpg-958384.JPG
View Quote
Long time no see Tomac

What you said can't be true, everyone knows they are mediocre rifles
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
TX-Zen knows this, but the rest of the interested parties in this thread should know that the Tiger is not a 'clone', but rather a 'version', and that they eliminated the adjustable gas system from its production.  Standard power only, no adverse setting...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An SVD has an adjustable gas system, and if it's a clone it will work the same way as the original.
@DriftPunch

@TX-Zen can correct me, but the adjustable part can be added back to the Tiger and the parts are available.

Although the one in the OP likely will have that anyway.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bro
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bro
I know..I honestly don't know what the hell i was thinking.  I wish I was able to say i was under the influence of drugs because that would at least be a plausible excuse, but I wasn't.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@DriftPunch

@TX-Zen can correct me, but the adjustable part can be added back to the Tiger and the parts are available.

Although the one in the OP likely will have that anyway.
View Quote
Yes it can, I did it on my Tiger and lots of people have too. It's about a $200 part when you can find it
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
The adverse setting is closed with no ports, while the standard power setting is with the ports open. Unless they changed the gas port size from the barrel, it's always running in the adverse setting.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:23:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anyone who doesn’t agree with this (or even know it by default) has no business even entering a thread about Dragunov SVDs or their clones. So many morons here who just think it’s a stretched Kalashnikov and should be priced accordingly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Russian Tiger SVDs go for $5-7k
Chinese NDMs go for $5 to 8k
Russian KBI SVDs go for $15 to 25k
Russian bring back SVD go for $22k

Arfcom thinks they go for $800

Goddamn we got some retards around here.

Go be poor somewhere else.
Anyone who doesn’t agree with this (or even know it by default) has no business even entering a thread about Dragunov SVDs or their clones. So many morons here who just think it’s a stretched Kalashnikov and should be priced accordingly.
So enlighten us then?  I’m genuinely curious now (albeit not curious enough to go do my own research) about the advances an SVD has over a typical AK pattern weapon?  Other than the caliber and a longer barrel, what makes them such a superior weapon?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes it can, I did it on my Tiger and lots of people have too. It's about a $200 part when you can find it
View Quote
I'll have to keep my eyes open.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
What parts broke?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
As a $500 surplus rifle they were cool. As a $2500 or whatever they will go for rifle it's pretty steep for Cold War nostalgia.
View Quote
$ 500? Maybe

$2500?  

$4000....
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Fuck. That.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a $500 surplus rifle they were cool. As a $2500 or whatever they will go for rifle it's pretty steep for Cold War nostalgia.
$500 surplus rifle?
$2500 or whatever?

ETA: they are saying 4K in that thread.
Fuck. That.
I'm still "interested", but 4K buys a lot of other options. I just need to figure if my desire for an SVD outweighs my ability to justify it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Snip...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1593/Dragunovs_PS90_and_Leah_002_jpg-958384.JPG
View Quote
That's an awesome pic. "Yeah, Scro...500m. I'm a bad ass!"
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#33]
You can add me to the list. Don't want to register at the other site just for one post
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So enlighten us then?  I’m genuinely curious now (albeit not curious enough to go do my own research) about the advances an SVD has over a typical AK pattern weapon?  Other than the caliber and a longer barrel, what makes them such a superior weapon?
View Quote
Different piston system, better trigger, and other minor tweaks. Still an "AK pattern" gun but folding stock piston ARs are still "AR-15s" so take it with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So enlighten us then?  I'm genuinely curious now (albeit not curious enough to go do my own research) about the advances an SVD has over a typical AK pattern weapon?  Other than the caliber and a longer barrel, what makes them such a superior weapon?
View Quote
Yevgenny Dragunov was an Olympic marksman who had designed other rifles that the USSR used to take gold medals with. He had a solid history of designing some exceptional rifles

Based on the needs of the Soviet Union at the time the SVD was designed from the ground up to be a reliable and accurate DMR rifle, not a close combat assault rifle like the AK. The entire premise for the SVDs existance was different than the AK and the SVD has very little in common with it. Accuracy was far more of a priority for the SVD because of it's role but it still had to be exceptionally reliable

It may seem easy now but 50 years ago that was a tall order for any rifle to achieve. You also have to keep in mind that it was never designed to be a sniper rifle the way we use them. The Soviets had snipers sure, but they found that in urban combat there was little need to hit people at 1000m. In urban combat things changed too fast and they learned this during WW2 the hard way.

What they needed was a high rate of fire, reasonably accurate weapon that could put rounds on target from 600 to 800m rapidly.

They got it

Most people don't pay attention to the design philosophy, they haven't ever shot one or actually used it as designed out to 600m and seen what it can really do. They just see that it's a 50 year rifle that isn't sub MOA and that's pretty much where they stop

eta: I'll add that the part that has not aged well with the SVD is the magazine capacity. It does suffer from the 10 round limitation compared to modern semi's like the AR10 platform that make it easy to have 20+ rounds

It's also not terribly easy to suppress, but it can be done without breaking the bank or radically bubba'ing the rifle. A few owners in the US have done it, myself included, and of course there are plenty of Russians and a few Europeans that have done it
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Different piston system, better trigger, and other minor tweaks. Still an "AK pattern" gun but folding stock piston ARs are still "AR-15s" so take it with a grain of salt.
View Quote
It's not an AK pattern rifle. It really is a completely different gun, not minor tweaks like a better trigger

Check out an exploded parts diagram and point out the same parts it shares with an AK
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#37]
This thread is confusing me.  I don't know if I really like mine now or need to sell it asap
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's not an AK pattern rifle. It really is a completely different gun, not minor tweaks like a better trigger

Check out an exploded parts diagram and point out the same parts it shares with an AK
View Quote
Overall form is very close, bolt is very close but with an extra lug, safety is the same more or less, trigger pack is better, general barrel profile is similar, iron sight setup is the same, the way the rifle comes apart with the top dust cover is almost the same, mags are roughly the same, and the optics mounting setup is the same. The foreend design is different. Like I said, if a folding stock piston "AR" is an AR then the SVD is in the AK family.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yevgenny Dragunov was an Olympic marksman who had designed other rifles that the USSR used to take gold medals with. He had a solid history of designing some exceptional rifles

Based on the needs of the Soviet Union at the time the SVD was designed from the ground up to be a reliable and accurate DMR rifle, not a close combat assault rifle like the AK. The entire premise for the SVDs existance was different than the AK and the SVD has very little in common with it. Accuracy was far more of a priority for the SVD because of it's role but it still had to be exceptionally reliable

It may seem easy now but 50 years ago that was a tall order for any rifle to achieve. You also have to keep in mind that it was never designed to be a sniper rifle the way we use them. The Soviets had snipers sure, but they found that in urban combat there was little need to hit people at 1000m. In urban combat things changed too fast and they learned this during WW2 the hard way.

What they needed was a high rate of fire, reasonably accurate weapon that could put rounds on target from 600 to 800m rapidly.

They got it

Most people don't pay attention to the design philosophy, they haven't ever shot one or actually used it as designed out to 600m and seen what it can really do. They just see that it's a 50 year rifle that isn't sub MOA and that's pretty much where they stop
View Quote
Good post. The SVD was not intended to compete against a bolt action rifle for accuracy. It was meant to be a mass produced DMR that a highly mobile unit could use to extend the reach of their Squad. Dragunov could have made an extremely accurate rifle for the Soviets. But then it would not have met the intentions of the Soviet Army.

People arguing the M16/M4 is a better long range weapon....... Yeah sorta, with your civilian bought Match grade ammo. But not for the US Military. M193 and M855 is at best 3MOA, and is usually a 4MOA round. Where as the Soviets mass issued specific ammo for the Drag that was 2MOA or sometimes less. Also AR Match ammo is going to have insanely more wind drift at 600-800 meters than SVD issued 7.62x54R ammunition.p
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Overall form is very close, bolt is very close but with an extra lug, safety is the same more or less, trigger pack is better, general barrel profile is similar, iron sight setup is the same, the way the rifle comes apart with the top dust cover is almost the same, mags are roughly the same, and the optics mounting setup is the same. The foreend design is different. Like I said, if a folding stock piston "AR" is an AR then the SVD is in the AK family.
View Quote
Think of it this way

The bolt is different
The bolt carrier is different
The barrel is different
The receiver is different
The top cover is different
The trigger pack is different
The recoil spring is different
The gas block is different
The operating rod is different
The optic rail solution is actually different, the SVD and AK do not share the same mounting system

Same iron sites though...so yeah, that makes it an AK pattern weapon. I see that now
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Love to have one....... sadly, I must be poor somewhere else
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Think of it this way

The bolt is different
The barrel is different
The optic rail solution is actually different, the SVD and AK do not share the same mounting system

Same iron sites though...so yeah, that makes it an AK pattern weapon. I see that now
View Quote
The same could be said for a side charging piston AR with a folding stick. We are arguing semantics.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The same could be said for a side charging piston AR with a folding stick. We are arguing semantics.
View Quote
Respectfully, you are the one talking semantics. The analogy of the piston side charging AR is not a valid comparison of the AK and the SVD

It is legit if you are talking about a PSL or VEPR 54R vs an AK but the SVD is a completely different animal

Another way to look at it...what is the basic thing that makes a rifle belong to whatever family it's in? The receiver is the biggest thing -  I think you'd agree

The SVD and the AK have completely different receivers...and everything else too
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
First of all,

things in order.

SA85m
HD18
AMD65 pistol format

PKM in semi auto.

Thank you.

View Quote
. Thank you for sharing!
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
First of all,

things in order.

SA85m
HD18
AMD65 pistol format

PKM in semi auto.

Thank you.

View Quote
I seriously hope you'll succeed man.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
First of all,

things in order.

SA85m
HD18
AMD65 pistol format

PKM in semi auto.

Thank you.

View Quote
Awesome news! Thanks for your work on the project and hopefully everything pans out. I’d love to see another source for high quality factory built AKs and other combloc type guns on the US market.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

$ 500? Maybe

$2500?  

$4000....
View Quote
I paid $4500 for my semi auto PKM. Now its worth $10,000-$12,000. What a sucker I am.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#48]
$4K? Yeah I'd buy one, I've been itching for a SVD for many years. I'll rarely shoot it but who cares? Thing is a beauty and an icon.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Think of it this way

The bolt is different
The barrel is different

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think of it this way

The bolt is different
The barrel is different

You could get them to share the same sling.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You could get them to share the same sling.
View Quote
Hahahahahaha
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top