Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2021 9:44:39 PM EDT
Wife and I cut the cord years ago.
Moved into a new place and we don't have good antenna reception.

Thought we'd give Hulu Live a chance. $65

The very first thing we do is watch a movie that was live on TV, we said "watch from the beginning".

Every 10-15 of the movie they force you to watch 7 minutes of ads. You can't skip them even though it's an on-demand stream in the end.

A movie that has a 1 hour and 50 minutes of run time is almost 3 hours.

They have to be kidding right?
There's no way people pay for this shit.

Anyone know of other good alternatives to getting local channels over a streaming service?
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#1]
For me Fubu is best for local channels, news, sports and the usual mix of movie channels like on cable or Dish. Normally for movies I have Prime anyway and the movies are good choices. Also Pluto is a free app with lots of movies and classic  old tv series., IMDb app for movies,
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
That would be a new trick from my experience with HULU live. Things certainly can change.
They had commercials on the live channels and a coupe minutes of ads on the "on demand" movies, but nothing intrusive or annoying.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
We cut the cord a few years ago. Did the same - with Hulu+Live TV, plus a few a la carte services like Netflix, HBO Max.

At first it was worth it. But eventually, with price creep, as you say, it's just about the same $$ as we were paying with cable. And when we had cable and a Tivo, we could at least skip commercials.

I'm convinced cord-cutting is still best for those who are willing to change their viewing habits entirely, trying to replicate cable content just isn't worth it. You can get about 87% of content on a la carte services now (Discovery+, Paramount +, Netflix, etc...), then kill the Hulu Live subscription and save a bunch of money. Combine this with a strategy of subscribing to a couple of the previously mentioned services at a time, binge-watching what you want, then cancelling and subbing to other services for different content - rinse and repeat.

Ultimately, you'll still miss out on old fashioned "live" TV and sports - my wife refuses to give this up for now as she likes to put on a TV channel as background noise while cooking dinner or chores, and streaming doesn't cut it for that.

Side note...funny, a few weeks ago we lost Internet for a day, and I hooked up the rabbit ears. Was pleasantly surprised by how many channels were still out there over-the-air. Made me think that may still be an option for the live TV thing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 10:43:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Double tap
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#5]
NetFlix (about to dump it, there really isn't anything I want to watch any longer), HBO Max, AMZ Prime and what I pay for. Then the free YT, the ads have gotten annoying. We mostly read, watch TV when killing time.

Thought about a FireStick, but seems like it may be a pain. It would be nice if there was a service where you could watch any movie that is available on video, I'd pay for that. Supposedly if you buy a disc now there is a code for a site that all the studios have signed onto, you can steam them, but only ones you have purchased.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top