Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2018 11:43:31 AM EDT
It was going really good and I was really surprised....until the last one.  Albeit the article title does say radical ways to tackle the issue.

1. Don't name the shooter
In January 2014, Dr Sherry Towers went to a meeting at Purdue University, Indiana. On the same day, elsewhere on campus, Cody Cousins shot dead Andrew Boldt, a fellow student.

After the killing, the meeting was cancelled. But Dr Towers - a statistician from Arizona State University - started thinking about shootings, and the relationship between them.

"It was the third school shooting I heard about in a 10-day period," she says. "And that seemed - even for the US - an unusually large number."

Dr Towers and her team got to work, and found that school shootings and mass killings had an average "contagious period" of 13 days.

That is - when one school shooting or mass killing happens, another becomes more likely.

Dr Towers does not want the media to ignore mass killings. "People have a right to know," she says.

And, as a scientist, she cannot prove that withholding the killer's name will reduce contagion. "It would be impossible [to prove] - there has never been a case where the killer wasn't named."

But she thinks that focusing on victims - rather than "lurid" details of the killer - could make shootings less likely.

"When I talk publicly, or to the media, I don't name the perpetrator unless there is a specific reason why," she says.
View Quote
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43118865
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The answer is armed security at every school.  Nothing less.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Using MILF ass shot to sell and gun article.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with some of that.
I think that 1~2 weeks of continuous coverage gives too much attention to the shooter(s).
Sure you have to cover the news event, but when the networks set-up remote studios so they can 'report' from the scene for days they are providing too much sensationalism.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]
So he's suggesting limiting the press's Constitutional right for a 10 day cool down period.  Would they find that reasonable and not infringing on a Constitutional right?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So he's suggesting limiting the press's Constitutional right for a 10 day cool down period.  Would they find that reasonable and not infringing on a Constitutional right?
View Quote
Though one could argue it's in the 9th & 10th (and successfully), there is no specifically enumerated right about about "the people's right to know", that's just something journalists say.

-

OP's article is pretty neat that there are 6 radical proposals and most everyone agrees with several of them and only would vehemently oppose one of them.

Needs to be slammed in the left's face over and over again - we have solutions - they just only have one solution they want, and we know it will solve nothing and that they only want it because it's more control.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Though one could argue it's in the 9th & 10th (and successfully), there is no specifically enumerated right about about "the people's right to know", that's just something journalists say.

-

OP's article is pretty neat that there are 6 radical proposals and most everyone agrees with several of them and only would vehemently oppose one of them.

Needs to be slammed in the left's face over and over again - we have solutions - they just only have one solution they want, and we know it will solve nothing and that they only want it because it's more control.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-

That's what I took as well, other then the last point which they admit is radical and unlikely, I agree with most of the points.  Coming from a place like the BBC is surprising.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Dear BBC,

Worry about your own f**king country.

Sincerely,

Every US citizen who doesn't give a s**t about what you do on crazy teeth island.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's what I took as well, other then the last point which they admit is radical and unlikely, I agree with most of the points.  Coming from a place like the BBC is surprising.
View Quote
He also notes it's ineffective, as individual state constitutions still guarantee RKBA, though that would be a bizarre states right fight at that point.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I recall in one of the recent mass killings here many on Fox were taking the stance of not saying the persons name. While I agree with it the reality is others at the network did give the persons name which made it a moot point.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
There were words in the article?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
There was an article?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not going to work. Can't fix crazy that our society creates by lack of parenting.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#13]
The way to solve these issues is to attack them on multiple fronts:

1. Armed security at schools to put them down ASAP so that their goal (terrorism) cannot be achieved like it can if schools are "soft targets."  
  2. STOP REPORTING THEM.  People who shoot up schools do it, at least IMHO, for the notoriety.  It's a "now you will remember me" thing.  Take that away and the statement they are trying to make becomes impossible.
  3. Take threats seriously.  They are crimes to begin with......and at least with the last guy......the plethora of signs were pretty much neon signs that you can't ignore.....yet they were ignored.
  4. Controlling guns of the law abiding does not stop crime.  We need to make this well known.  Yes, the left wants us disarmed so that we are subjects not citizens, but they have latched onto the argument that gun control = reduced crime.  That's a farce.  More guns in the hands of the law abiding= less crime in every case I've seen.
  5. Arm the teachers.  Train them.  Fire the ones who refuse to carry.  Make schools a hardened target.  Make it difficult for shooters to achieve their goal of creating so much havoc and pain that their terroristic goals are designed to produce......and they will pick different methods.  We protect every other valuable thing with armed men......why not schools since we claim children are the most important thing in the entire nation.......
  6. If it's important enough to deny me rights, it's important enough to actually take seriously enough to get rid of the people who are unwilling to do what it takes to protect the children they are charged with protecting.  Just like a cop who won't carry or use a gun.......get rid of them.
My SO was a teacher.  She's not anti-gun, she's just meh on them.  She understands their usefulness and such....but she's not like me.....a gun lover.  But even she believes that teachers should be availed of pistols.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Wait!    ....is this thread about guns?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting use of a very attractive posterior to get people to look.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]
So like most in this thread, these are things we mostly agree on (except the last one), but as for #2, and specifically Sandy Hook, Lanza smashed the window next to a locked door with the butt of his rifle. When I was a kid most schools had wire reinforced glass. the left had it removed because "It made schools look like prisons".

If that glass was still in place, it may have slowed Lanza enough that he never got a chance.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The answer is armed security, administrators, teachers, janitors and lunch ladies at every school.  Nothing less.
View Quote
Fify
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#18]
that’s one huge what the fuck at the end right there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Another goofy-assed poll with 1 "for" and multiple "against" options.

Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
FPNI

No matter what new law or new restriction they pass, if they sit down at the table the day after it passes and ask themselves, "will this save lives during a school shooting," the answer will be NO.

If we're talking about putting commissioning teachers to do the job or placing SROs in every school, then the answer will be YES.

Anything shy of arming schools to fight back is hot air, and will only effect and restrict law abiding gun owners (not murderous psychopaths).
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not going to work. Can't fix crazy that our society creates by lack of parenting.
View Quote
When crazy shows up to shoot at people, they can shoot back...as opposed to hiding under desks.

So yeah, it will work better than passing more laws.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Most schools don't have the money for armed security or police.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Most schools don't have the money for armed security or police.
View Quote
The community has money to have the police enforce 15 mph school zones, those officers could just as well spend part of the time in the school as well.  Further, 10-20% of the staff would be decent prospects for in school ccw and emergency mitigation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top