Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2020 3:20:27 PM EDT
Husband will remain in home, wife will seek new residence.  

Couple is married currently, owns the home both names on the deed, with no mortgage or other liens or encumbrances. Only thing owed is property tax.

Wife wants 50% of equity. What works best for the the both of them concerning this split and what about taxes?

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Nvm
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
One spouse buys the other out.  If that can't be done sell the house.  Why in hell would you want to own the home together if divorced?  Ever here of moving on?
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to get it appraised, get her to agree in writing, then pay her Half, right?    In for the (horrible) details.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Husband will remain in home, wife will seek new residence.  

Couple is married currently, owns the home both names on the deed, with no mortgage or other liens or encumbrances. Only thing owed is property tax.

Wife wants 50% of equity. What works best for the the both of them concerning this split and what about taxes?

View Quote

He'll refinance for 50% of the value of the home and the mortgage co will cut her a check...unless he has that value in his half of the non-home assets that he can buy her out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have to get it appraised, get her to agree in writing, then pay her Half, right?    In for the (horrible) details.
View Quote

Yeah but what is the best route for this? A cash-out refi or something else.

There really aren't any details other than wife is tired of years of living with a functioning alcoholic and he won't do anything to correct the problem.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One spouse buys the other out.  If that can't be done sell the house.  Why in hell would you want to own the home together if divorced?  Ever here of moving on?
View Quote

I feel this question missed on you, please don't post anything else.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

In my case we used realtors to value the house and agreed on the home value in mediation.  This along with all other assets is outlined in your MDA (marriage dissolution agreement).  Appraisers were only used when I went through the re-fi.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There really aren't any details other than wife is tired of years of living with a functioning alcoholic and he won't do anything to correct the problem.
View Quote

Yes a cash out refi.  

They settle in mediation/court on who gets the house, and a value thereof will be set or agreed upon.  Say house has value of $200k.  Assuming equal split of all assets elsewhere, her share of the marital home is $100k.  He refinances for $100k and the mortgage co cuts her a check for that amount.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can’t see why it would matter where the money comes from.   The husband is gonna be screwed, whether it comes out of savings or the addition of debt.  
As far as taxes, they would be prorated, and then his responsibility going forward.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I can’t see why it would matter where the money comes from.   The husband is gonna be screwed, whether it comes out of savings or the addition of debt.  
As far as taxes, they would be prorated, and then his responsibility going forward.
View Quote

I'm not concerned about property tax at all, we have very low PT in AL. I should have been specific and was thinking about the IRS, but if she sells him her interest then I expect she won't owe any taxes due to income of the sale.

And Gearhead I'm reading your post too, not ignoring you!
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes a cash out refi.  

They settle in mediation/court on who gets the house, and a value thereof will be set or agreed upon.  Say house has value of $200k.  Assuming equal split of all assets elsewhere, her share of the marital home is $100k.  He refinances for $100k and the mortgage co cuts her a check for that amount.
View Quote

How were closing cost handled or split?
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Your attorneys can help you document this so that it is clear and that you don't have to go back for any approvals.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How were closing cost handled or split?
View Quote

It's all negotiable but i handled mine 100%.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Your attorneys can help you document this so that it is clear and that you don't have to go back for any approvals.
View Quote

The person refinancing the home supplies the signed divorce decree and MDA to the mortgage company.  No approvals or signatures from the other party are required.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm not concerned about property tax at all, we have very low PT in AL. I should have been specific and was thinking about the IRS, but if she sells him her interest then I expect she won't owe any taxes due to income of the sale.

And Gearhead I'm reading your post too, not ignoring you!
View Quote

Correct, assuming it's just a normal marital home (not a vacation home), no taxes owed for her share of the split.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Okay thanks for the reply's. Sounds like a pretty simple thing to do then.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Correct, assuming it's just a normal marital home (not a vacation home), no taxes owed for her share of the split.
View Quote

Yeah this is correct!
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Okay thanks for the reply's. Sounds like a pretty simple thing to do then.
View Quote

Settling on  value is often a difficult thing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Could be. However, that issue is not mine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three appraisals and average them is often as good as anything.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Assuming the couple purchased the home together then each get 50% of the equity as an asset.  The wife may choose to offset her share of the asset in exchange for another asset, e.g. her IRA if there is enough in it.  The husband may also agrees to take on more of the marital debt if there is any in exchange for more equity in the house.

If there are no CS or alimony issues then the divorce is basically listing all of their assets and debts and dividing it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top