BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trod7308:

I have not tried that yoga yet. Is there anywhere to get those for free?  

BMR 1890+577(5mi run)+143(ab ripper x)2610-2181(intake)=429def
203g protein

Haven’t totaled fat and carbs yet.

That was 2 protein shakes, a scoop of protein in my coffee.  Little Costco rotisserie chicken and some shrimp.
View Quote

There's very little chance that you're actually burning that many calories per mile, particularly if this is anything that could be considered an "easy" run. You might want to reevaluate how that's being calculated to help refine your actual expenditure.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't eat so much.  Avoid carbohydrates, sugar, and salt.   Watch your caloric intake.  Caloric intake makes a much bigger difference than how much you exercise.

Exercise is very important to overall health, but it is much easier to avoid taking in 200 calories than it is to burn 200 calories through exercise.  While it might be boring as hell, a person can eat a great deal of plain veggies (no sauces) and plain chicken and still loose weight.  It is the fat and salt in sauces that add lots of useless calories to a diet.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Dr. Sean O'mara on YT
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:05:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trod7308] [#4]
Originally Posted By Commander_Keen:

There's very little chance that you're actually burning that many calories per mile, particularly if this is anything that could be considered an "easy" run. You might want to reevaluate how that's being calculated to help refine your actual expenditure.
View Quote

1 cal/kg/km

180lb/2.2kg/lb=81.81kgx8.04762km(5mi)=658.30cals
Avg HR 152

@Commander_Keen

Is that not an accurate calc?  I did see on Google it said 60 cals per km

Formula I used above is per the Hansons marathon method book.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#5]

1 cal/kg/km

180lb/2.2kg/lb=81.81kgx8.04762km(5mi)=658.30cals
Avg HR 152

@Commander_Keen

Is that not an accurate calc?  I did see on Google it said 60 cals per km

Formula I used above is per the Hansons marathon method book.
View Quote

~60cal/km or 100cal/mi are typically more in the ballpark regardless of weight. It's actually more about oxygen consumption (effort) - as you get more fit you'll burn a bit fewer calories to move yourself the same distance as your body gets more efficient, though running harder (intervals, races, etc.) will increase the calorie burn per distance a bit as well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 2:45:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trod7308] [#6]

~60cal/km or 100cal/mi are typically more in the ballpark regardless of weight. It's actually more about oxygen consumption (effort) - as you get more fit you'll burn a bit fewer calories to move yourself the same distance as your body gets more efficient, though running harder (intervals, races, etc.) will increase the calorie burn per distance a bit as well.
View Quote

I’m at the point to where my heart rate only gets up to 135-145 and just about a month ago at the same paces I was over 160.

I pushed a little too hard the other night on intervals and my left calf was hurting just a bit. Did a slower pace this am and never got over 140bpm.

@Commander_Keen

I’m excited to join your thread for 2024 running log as well.  Just started running in august so didn’t join this year.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

You're just wrong.  5mi, I burn about the same as OP.  And this is just freaking math backed up by multiple studies.  It's your body weight, and speed you move, times the distance (or time) you are moving that weight at that speed.

Just a couple of references:

https://www.verywellfit.com/how-many-calories-does-running-burn-2911108#:~:text=If%20your%20body%20weight%20is,will%20burn%20roughly%20408%20calories.

https://marathonhandbook.com/how-many-calories-burned-running-calculator/

Link Posted: 12/21/2023 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#8]

I’m at the point to where my heart rate only gets up to 135-145 and just about a month ago at the same paces I was over 160.

I pushed a little too hard the other night on intervals and my left calf was hurting just a bit. Did a slower pace this am and never got over 140bpm.

@Commander_Keen

I’m excited to join your thread for 2024 running log as well.  Just started running in august so didn’t join this year.
View Quote

I'm jealous.  I'm still struggling to keep the HR down.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#9]

I'm at the point to where my heart rate only gets up to 135-145 and just about a month ago at the same paces I was over 160.

@Commander_Keen

I'm excited to join your thread for 2024 running log as well.  Just started running in august so didn't join this year.
View Quote
Your body is adapting to the workload by becoming more efficient.
This will also be reflected in your BMR and the interaction of both will affect your TDEE.
Also, increased exercise coupled with even a small caloric deficit will cause your body to decrease NEAT. Your body wants to hold onto fat, period.
Some people have more success by fluctuating caloric intake from maintenance, surplus and deficit across the week to mitigate this. Overall, you finish the week in a deficit.
Training to make the body preferentially burn fat is the goal for high endurance activities.

Link Posted: 12/21/2023 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Shake Weight...

Link Posted: 12/22/2023 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#11]

@Commander_Keen

View Quote

That reduction in HR is excellent and shows definite progress. Those really low HR runs are the bread and butter for endurance training. I know I'm getting way ahead of things with this, but once the weather turns and it gets hot your HR for those paces will rise again. Perfectly fine, just slow down to accommodate it.

It'll be good to have you in the thread next year.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 12:24:50 AM EDT
[#12]

That reduction in HR is excellent and shows definite progress. Those really low HR runs are the bread and butter for endurance training. I know I'm getting way ahead of things with this, but once the weather turns and it gets hot your HR for those paces will rise again. Perfectly fine, just slow down to accommodate it.

It'll be good to have you in the thread next year.
View Quote

affirmative.  Found this out the hard way running on the indoor track. I was running at my normal pace. Flat track, looked at my watch and hr was way higher than anticipated. Over 160 chalked this up to being inside in a warm gym. Idk could have just been being anxious at the gym instead of my country roads where all I see is cows and a farmer here and there lol

I’ve lived in the sticks for 3 years now. Have a home gym in our basement. Being around all those people at the Y really shoots the anxiety up. Access to the sauna was nice.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top