Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2018 8:49:39 PM EDT
Purchased two post sample MGs back in December. Saw them in person and met the seller. Paid the guy cash and received a Bill of Sale. Two months later I found out the two serial numbers on the bill of sale were sold and transfered to two separate SOTs.

All took place in Texas.

ATF can't help as he never provided a Form 3.

I ran a background check and he's super sketchy. Long list of apparent cons.

How do I go forward in collecting the cash? Collection Lawyer?
Is it possible to go forward?

If necessary feel free to DM me

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the money above or below the threshold to file a small claim in his local jurisdiction?
If it is under, file it yourself and see what you can get.
If it's over, consult with a lawyer on the cost/benefit.

I'm going to guess local law will state it's a "civil issue" unless you can prove he took the money with no intention of delivering the goods.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the money above or below the threshold to file a small claim in his local jurisdiction?

I'm going to guess local law will state it's a "civil issue" unless you can prove he took the money with no intention of delivering the goods.
View Quote
Above the threshold, he sold the same MGs within the month to two seperate SOTs.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Above the threshold, he sold the same MGs within the month to two seperate SOTs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would contact the local police first with all the documentation you can get, emails, texts, even write down the times and dates of conversations and exchanges. Get the other SOT to give a written statments, and copies of the form3s showing the same serial #s with dates.
If you "do the work" they are much more likely to not pull the "It's a civil issue" card.
If they still refuse I'd say your only solution is to do a cost benefit of a lawsuit.

Also, I'd check to make sure he hasn't filed for bankruptcy since the date the bill of sale was signed. If he has, you need to get yourself listed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's fraud, Call the cops.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Purchased two post sample MGs back in December. Saw them in person and met the seller. Paid the guy cash and received a Bill of Sale. Two months later I found out the two serial numbers on the bill of sale were sold and transfered to two separate SOTs.

All took place in Texas.

How do I go forward in collecting the cash? Collection Lawyer?  Is it possible to go forward?

Thanks
View Quote

I'm assuming the seller was another FFL/SOT?

Civil court awaits, ATF won't get involved b/c it's a contract dispute.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All took place in Texas.

How do I go forward in collecting the cash? Collection Lawyer?  Is it possible to go forward?

Thanks

If he can show that the seller took the funds without intention to deliver then it's criminal.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All took place in Texas.

Thanks

No, it's clearly fraud.
By "selling" the same firearms to multiple people he's engaging in criminal activity.

ATF doesn't investigate theft by deception, but Texas LE sure does.

PLEASE NAME THE DEALER

It would be a shame to let him continue his swindle.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If he can show that the seller took the funds without intention to deliver then it's criminal.
View Quote

That's damned hard to prove though if the seller says "Oh my mistake, sorry" and refunds the OP's money.

Seller should definitely be outed though so we know not to do business with him.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's damned hard to prove though if the seller says "Oh my mistake, sorry" and refunds the OP's money.

Seller should definitely be outed though so we know not to do business with him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He lost his license
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, so was he running as a sole proprietor or as an LLC/Corp?  If an LLC/Corp, is it still active if you check with the TX Secretary of State?
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Trying to make it criminal will at least get the possibility of an award that the court might try and collect.

Small claims or civil just gets you an award that YOU must then try and collect on through ... more court actions.

You find assets and then 'attach' them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#12]
That's criminal all day long.....

problem is getting police off their ass to care.  
Got straight scammed last year renting a beach house.

wire transfer straight to their account.......had the rental ad, communications, and bank records.  Out a few Gs n police and sheriff played hot potato like it was internet crime.  Both parties local as was bank.  In the end pos "investigator" wouldn't even take or return my calls much less do anything.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's criminal all day long.....

problem is getting police off their ass to care.  
Got straight scammed last year renting a beach house.

wire transfer straight to their account.......had the rental ad, communications, and bank records.  Out a few Gs n police and sheriff played hot potato like it was internet crime.  Both parties local as was bank.  In the end pos "investigator" wouldn't even take or return my calls much less do anything.
View Quote
You can try going direct to the DA's office and making the problem 'known.'

They may 'request' the popo to gather information for them.

How many $ (about)?
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How many $ (about)?
View Quote
I was out 2k deposit & wife got the bank teller to admit the person had gotten at least 3 other wire transfers in on the same day.

I figured with that kind of money being ripped off police might actually do SOMETHING.  yeah nope

I cuould prove the crime complete with all communications and give the persons name and bank account

Makes me think that I'm in the wrong business.... at 8k a day I could work like ten days a year n be fine.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was out 2k deposit & wife got the bank teller to admit the person had gotten at least 3 other wire transfers in on the same day.

I figured with that kind of money being ripped off police might actually do SOMETHING.  yeah nope

I cuould prove the crime complete with all communications and give the persons name and bank account

Makes me think that I'm in the wrong business.... at 8k a day I could work like ten days a year n be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many $ (about)?

Talk to a DA and offer to sign a criminal complaint.
You might be able to even file one or swear one out.

It will often push a DA to take action and they can push the police.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#16]
NAME THE DEALER
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
NAME THE DEALER
View Quote
This!
He took OP's $$$$$ in December.
OP discovered he took other dealers $$$$ two months later.

OP should have been up the sellers butt in January for not filing a prompt Form 3.
OP should have been beating down the front door of the DA/police in February.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP should have been up the sellers butt in January for not filing a prompt Form 3.
View Quote
This, eForm3's are getting processed in weeks not months.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This, eForm3's are getting processed in weeks not months.
View Quote
My latest F3 took four days.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Hopefully, you've sorted this out by now, but I notice you haven't disclosed the dealer so that others here at Arfcom avoid him. Crooks often close one location and open another to keep stealing. Loss of a license doesn't keep crooks from being crooks.

OP, if you name the dealer so the people you asked for help can avoid him, I'll correct the apparent legal misunderstanding above.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Theodore "Ted" Henderson
NYTEX Firearms

@DogtownTom
@RenegadeX
@SideCarGT
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#22]
His FB is still active....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top