Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#1]
1800 to cut, grind, and haul away two pines. They were about 24” diameter trunks.

They were too close to the new pool. Dude brought a bucket truck and took them down to maybe 25’ tall, then dropped the trunks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, it looks like I get to have another tree removed. It’s over on the side yard and it’s starting to lean pretty bad. You can see the rot at the bottom. If it goes over it will take a power line with it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FourLoko:
You need to specify the number, size, location etc..

After the chainsaw warriors hate on you, you'll still need to specify. Every man here kills things, cuts thing, repairs things, mates with things and does all the things.

The rest of us pay money so they can post about those things.

View Quote

Ya forgot, talk about things and get rope and chain things.

Sometimes a lot of things needed to do things.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BM1455:
We have about 6-8 90' big ass white pines well within reach of the house. A couple of them would probably crush right through to the basement if it all just tipped over on us. Only one of them is on our property. Every time we get a big storm I can't sleep.
The trees are on uneven rocky ground and they need a bucket truck to get in there somehow to take them down. I've asked around and got about the same quote from everyone that I would trust not to fuck the job up and it's about 1K per tree. with the clean up.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't paid for a tree removal yet. Don't really plan to anytime soon. I enjoy using my saw occasionally and bringing them down without breaking anything important can be a fun challenge.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kitulu:
I paid $1500 to have a local tree service remove 6 dead trees around my house. They cut them down, ground and leveled the stumps, and piled the wood in my backyard so I can use it in my eventual fire pit.
View Quote

That's sounds like a deal.  I just got a quote for an Arizona Ash tree that is probably 30' high and they wanted 1000-1200 to take it down and another 300 to grind the stump.  There is no room in my back yard to drop it so it has to be climbed and taken down bit by bit.  Just had it trimmed for 400$ but was debating on taking it down.

That's just one tree, can't imagine 6.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Because I unfortunately live in the city and can't risk dropping something on somebody's house, I pay a guy.  He charged me five grand to drop a line of pines some dumbfuck planted between my house and my neighbors' house once, but generally it's about 700 per tree individually.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#8]
What you pay is a sliding scale.  Factor in access, equipment and wear and tear on it, man hours, fuels, oils, greases, consumables, licensing, insurance, experience of the arborist, how involved the tree is with structures, landscaping, other trees, how healthy or not the tree is, structural defects, terrain, type and size of tree... Any specialized equipment that needs to be purchased, rented, or hired out for the job?  Do you want it dropped, removed, and ground? Dropped and removed? Just dropped and left?  Bucked up for firewood?  Also, are you cool, or is your arborist making you pay the asshole tax?  That's a lot to take into account.  Also, I never quote trees sight unseen.  You need eyes on to make an accurate quote.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:28:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OscarD] [#9]
Depends on the size and what’s around that it can fall on. My neighbor has a massive old oak in his backyard that’s half dead. The tree is easily over 100’ tall and angles towards my garage. He had a few bids to have it cut down and the cheapest he was quoted was around $6k. So far he’s opted to leave it in place. Personally I hope it falls on my garage so his insurance can build me a bigger, better one.

Anything under 40’ or so I’ll take down myself.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#11]
It's funny.  I've shown up and had trees on the ground and stumps flush cut in minutes, and the customer might feel ripped off.  Until you start pointing out things that the customer didn't see or wasn't aware of, and explain the investment in money and time to acquire experience and equipment.  Professionals make complicated and dangerous tasks appear easy...
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#12]
It all depends on how much equipment they have to use and how much risk to property is involved.

I just had a 100ft tall 30" pine cut, hauled, and ground for $1200. The last one cost double that because it was over the house and they had to winch it down piece by piece.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:39:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kanati] [#13]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
I haven't paid for a tree removal yet. Don't really plan to anytime soon. I enjoy using my saw occasionally and bringing them down without breaking anything important can be a fun challenge.

View Quote
How big are they? I've got no problem cutting normal-ish sized trees, but these monster pines that grow around here can do some real damage if you drop them wrong.

My neighbor tried to do one himself and hit his driveway. It completely pulverized the concrete and he had to have a whole section cut out and re poured.

There is a 90 foot long swale in my yard from where the last one fell and left an impression.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#14]
$0.00

but i live in south TX where tall trees really aren't

just cut their sorry tree asses down, dig up their roots and show them to the burn pile

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:44:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: str8shuutr45] [#15]
We had 22 - 80’ plus white pines taken down and removed last year for $12K.  They also cleaned up most of the mess.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By slughunter1:
Had a guy who was logging off a 10 acre parcel down the road come over to my place and lay down a fresh dead 125 ft doug fir 50" DBH for $200 cash.
This tree was right next to my horse barn and could have hit any building on my property.
He laid it down and left and then the work began. Lots of good firewood.
View Quote

Lots of fir trees dying around here the last few years.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Consider renting a boom for $200 or $300 for the day.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By treejedi:
It's funny.  I've shown up and had trees on the ground and stumps flush cut in minutes, and the customer might feel ripped off.  Until you start pointing out things that the customer didn't see or wasn't aware of, and explain the investment in money and time to acquire experience and equipment.  Professionals make complicated and dangerous tasks appear easy...
View Quote

Most of the time. Inbred Jed (Guilty of Treeson) knew what he was doing and still got killed doing a job last year.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:23:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jaqufrost] [#19]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
How big are they? I've got no problem cutting normal-ish sized trees, but these monster pines that grow around here can do some real damage if you drop them wrong.

My neighbor tried to do one himself and hit his driveway. It completely pulverized the concrete and he had to have a whole section cut out and re poured.

There is a 90 foot long swale in my yard from where the last one fell and left an impression.  
View Quote
This is the largest one I've personally cut.
Attachment Attached File

Cut was made at that height because there was barbed wire inset into the trunk about 12 inches and I didn't want to get my saw into it. It was hit by lightning years ago and rotted the center out.  It had about a foot of good wood on each side which thankfully held a decent hinge. After I face cut it, I used a plunge on the back and transitioned to my smaller stihl for the final back strap cut after I had wedges in place. I pulled it over with the winch from my truck after all  the cutting was done.

To the left of the picture, out of view is my mother in laws house. I didnt want a storm to blow it down in the wrong direction and destroy her house.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By McGuy:

Most of the time. Inbred Jed (Guilty of Treeson) knew what he was doing and still got killed doing a job last year.
View Quote

That was a huge loss to the industry.  But that's just the nature of this game.  Most dangerous job in America for good reason.    

Almost got killed by idiots twice last week, and then watched crane operator/owner nearly crush two other guys on a separate crane pick.  Industry is FULL of alcoholics, substance abusers, felons, pedos, thieves, liars, imbeciles, behavioral issues, and just your general garden variety scumbags.  It's retarded.  If you're in the industry and you find a good solid crew, you stick with it.  If you find a good service that treats you right as the customer, you stick with them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:50:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kanati] [#21]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/1000001867_jpg-3200495.JPG
Cut was made at that height because there was barbed wire inset into the trunk about 12 inches and I didn't want to get my saw into it. It was hit by lightning years ago and rotted the center out.  It had about a foot of good wood on each side which thankfully held a decent hinge. After I face cut it, I used a plunge on the back and transitioned to my smaller stihl for the final back strap cut after I had wedges in place. I pulled it over with the winch from my truck after all  the cutting was done.

To the left of the picture, out of view is my mother in laws house. I didnt want a storm to blow it down in the wrong direction and destroy her house.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/1000001867_jpg-3200495.JPG

You're a much braver man than me to drop a big one like that with a rotten heart within range of a structure you cared about.

I've watched too many videos of them exploding and/or barber chairing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:14:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jaqufrost] [#22]
You're a much braver man than me to drop a big one like that with a rotten heart within range of a structure you cared about.

I've watched too many videos of them exploding and/or barber chairing.
View Quote
Barber chair was a significant concern. That's why I plunge cut and kept a strap on the backside until the end. It had enough growth around the outside I wasn't worried about exploding like dry ones do.

Here it is free standing after all the cuts were made and falling as I winched it down. The truck was offset to the side considerably. I had pulleys and extended winch line running to the big tree in the background, then over to the tree I was dropping and back.
https://youtube.com/shorts/aRjqs_ik2uI?si=_EKzd6N9vDYh1D8M

The next morning I took these pics.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
Username fits the narrative
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#24]

That was a huge loss to the industry.  But that's just the nature of this game.  Most dangerous job in America for good reason.    

Almost got killed by idiots twice last week, and then watched crane operator/owner nearly crush two other guys on a separate crane pick.  Industry is FULL of alcoholics, substance abusers, felons, pedos, thieves, liars, imbeciles, behavioral issues, and just your general garden variety scumbags.  It's retarded.  If you're in the industry and you find a good solid crew, you stick with it.  If you find a good service that treats you right as the customer, you stick with them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By McGuy:

Username checks out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I paid $900 to have a 110 ft. Long leaf pine cut down, hauled away and the stump ground. It was about twenty feet from my house and leaning towards my house.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#26]
The tree fell over at 4:40 this morning.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#27]
I hate trees in the yard. Eventually they will need cut down which means $$$.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Had a 24” on the butt pine next to the house that disappeared including the saw dust for 1500. This was two years ago.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:59:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thirsty] [#29]
I paid $4200 to remove four pines and one very old, very dead mountain ash, including stump grinding of the four pines.

ETA: two of the pines had grown into the power lines along the street, one even made a circuit and was badly damaged. Those pines were a more complicated takedown, but the guys I hired had them and the rest gone in a couple of hours. Really experienced and professional crew.

The removal guys also hacked down eight other softwood deciduous weed trees to get to the ash, and it opened my side yard considerably. They hauled those away as well but left the stumps.

Now I’m fighting regrowth of the brush with consumer chemicals because I don’t want to pay a landscaper $5k to recover it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Next to the house. $1000 you’re paying the company $850 and the climber probably gets $150
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By thirsty:
I paid $4200 to remove four pines and one very old, very dead mountain ash, including stump grinding of the four pines.

ETA: two of the pines had grown into the power lines along the street, one even made a circuit and was badly damaged. Those pines were a more complicated takedown, but the guys I hired had them and the rest gone in a couple of hours. Really experienced and professional crew.

The removal guys also hacked down eight other softwood deciduous weed trees to get to the ash, and it opened my side yard considerably. They hauled those away as well but left the stumps.

Now I’m fighting regrowth of the brush with consumer chemicals because I don’t want to pay a landscaper $5k to recover it.
View Quote

Cut your stumps as close to the ground as possible, and then treat each of them with Tordon RTU.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

Username checks out.
View Quote

Lately I've been feeling a lot more Sith than Jedi...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:14:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OscarD] [#33]
Originally Posted By CZ75_9MM:
I hate trees in the yard. Eventually they will need cut down which means $$$.  
View Quote

Depends on what’s been planted and how they were planted. I hate new developments because the first thing they do is clear cut everything. Shade in the summer is awesome, not having any sucks.

First house I bought the neighbor had three giant sycamore’s in his front yard that shaded my place in the afternoon sun. Then he had them removed two years later. My summer electric bill practically doubled after that with the AC running non stop all day trying to keep up.

My last house I planted a Tulip Poplar out front the first year. Sucker was about 30’ when I moved and provided excellent afternoon shade. Of course that species can reach heights up to 190’ so somebody will really hate me years down the road. I’ll be long dead by then so not my problem.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Cut your stumps as close to the ground as possible, and then treat each of them with Tordon RTU.  Problem solved.
View Quote

I just use a spade bit to fill them with holes then throw a fire ring around it, dump in a bag of Kingsford and burn them out. I’d never pay what people charge for grinding stumps around here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Ask Gov. Greg Abbott how much to pay to take a tree out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#36]
If i were you, pay to have it felled for no more than $500. Cut it up myself
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RV8guy:
View Quote

Fell over on it's own? Did it do any damage?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#38]
I just paid $2500 to have two sizable trees dropped and wood hauled away at one of my properties.  They also ground the two stump plus three others of smaller trees I dropped myself.

The trees were maple and cedar.  They probably will make a few more bucks selling them for firewood.

I didn't want the liability of damaging the neighbor's property.  I had the contractor name me as an additional insured.  I also would have needed to rent some equipment and have another guy to help me.

It wasn't worth the risk risk or time to do myself.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By OscarD:

I just use a spade bit to fill them with holes then throw a fire ring around it, dump in a bag of Kingsford and burn them out. I’d never pay what people charge for grinding stumps around here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OscarD:

No burning permitted in my AO.

I’ll look into the Tordon.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

NOOOO!  We're not done arguing about it yet!  

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Eat_Beef:
$0.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#42]
The going rate around here is $1000 per tree, with removal
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#43]

I have a saw. If this tree was out in the open I’d cut it myself. As it is it’s less than foot from the house and most of the branches are over the roof. It’s beyond my skill level.
View Quote

Yeah, don't be stupid.  I'm all for DIY but sometimes I'd rather let people more than get 'R done experience take on something like that.  I'd say 95% of the time I can get a tree to do what I want and fall about in about 20* of where I intended it to.  The other times something goes awry and it can do something I didn't expect.  The worst is fighting lean because it's close to something else.  If it would involve getting up into it it's time for me to get someone else to do it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#44]
When hiring a professional tree guy you are paying some for his time, some for his equipment , some for his knowledge and experience and a whole big chunk that goes to his insurance company .

Beware of local handyman type outfits that don't really have insurance. If you have trees that are beyond your comfort range be ready to pay for the real deal .
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By nhsport:
When hiring a professional tree guy you are paying some for his time, some for his equipment , some for his knowledge and experience and a whole big chunk that goes to his insurance company .

Beware of local handyman type outfits that don't really have insurance. If you have trees that are beyond your comfort range be ready to pay for the real deal .
View Quote

About 25% goes to insurance and another 35% to taxes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:
Originally Posted By nhsport:

It’s hard to pay tax when paid in gold
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#47]

I have a saw. If this tree was out in the open I’d cut it myself. As it is it’s less than foot from the house and most of the branches are over the roof. It’s beyond my skill level.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By camarojsmith:

Buy a saw and watch a couple you tubes. 8-10” is nothing man

Smart move.  After watching a tree climber take down a few at a buddy's cabin, I realized I don't know near what I thought I knew.

A man has to know his limitations and it's best to know them before he gets in a jam.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:20:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Staggunner] [#48]
Had a number of half-dead trees around the yard, 3 Chinese elms and 4 Poplars.  Roofs, power lines, dog fence
underneath.  Got an estimate from a local guy-$6k.  Called another outfit from a couple towns over-$1k and a lot
less wait-time.  Those guys showed up in January with a bucket truck.  High school kid got in the bucket with his
saw, no gloves.  He would start at the top, running the saw with one hand and shoving the pieces in the right direction
with the other.  All 7 trees in less than 2 hours.  Kid was an animal.

ETA:  We did the cleanup.  The reason the trees were in bad shape was the WY weather.  One day in the fall it
was 60 degrees.  The next it was -20.  80 degree change in 24 hours.  Kilt a lot of trees.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:21:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#49]
I usually fell my own trees. Largest so far on the property was a 37” diameter dead standing red oak that was about 90’ tall. However, I have one up near the road at the end of the driveway that’s too close for my comfort level. Got 4 quotes and the best was $750 and that’s just to get it on the ground…not haul away or grind the stump. Having it dropped next week.

You can cut an 8” diameter tree down with an axe and 10 minutes if you don’t have a saw. Just rope it off and have someone pull while you’re chopping.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#50]

Two story house with a very steep roof. Zero percent chance of me getting up there.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VAbull:
Do it in pieces . Climb on the roof and start from the top down . Take all the branches over the house off then cut the trunk .

Two story house with a very steep roof. Zero percent chance of me getting up there.

I had one like this, but mine was closer to 24".  I was going to rent a boom lift and limb it, then hook a winch to it and tension it away from the house and cut like I usually do.  I know a guy that owns a tree company that did it for $500.  Renting a lift was slightly cheaper, but not worth it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top