Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yup.

https://w7.pngwing.com/pngs/441/336/png-transparent-call-log-logo-iphone-4-iphone-3g-iphone-7-telephone-icon-phone-hd-electronics-text-telephone-call.png

Iconography is a funny thing. Once you know what it means, it doesn't have to really look like anything in particular. And classic design tends to stick around.

View Quote
When that icon was being designed there was a raging debate between that and a icon of a number pad.
for exactly the reasons talked about in this thread and you mentioned.
Even though the "phone" handset won out, it was argued that it didn't match the "modernness" of using the iPod for the music player icon.

the reason the phone was chosen (among many others) was the thinking that anyone not old enough to recognize the phone was too young to be the target customer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
When that icon was being designed there was a raging debate between that and a icon of a number pad.
Even though the "phone" handset won out, it was argued that it didn't match the "modernness" of using the iPod for the music player icon.

the reason the phone was chosen (among many others) was the thinking that anyone not old enough to recognize the phone was too young to be the target customer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

https://w7.pngwing.com/pngs/441/336/png-transparent-call-log-logo-iphone-4-iphone-3g-iphone-7-telephone-icon-phone-hd-electronics-text-telephone-call.png

Iconography is a funny thing. Once you know what it means, it doesn't have to really look like anything in particular. And classic design tends to stick around.

I don't think I've ever seen an iPod icon. Ironically, that iPod shape is iconic now precisely because its so obsolete. Meanwhile, phone handsets like that are still in wide use in office settings.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ti99 with cassette recorder memory!

View Quote

I still remember the screeching sounds it made.

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't think I've ever seen an iPod icon. Ironically, that iPod shape is iconic now precisely because its so obsolete. Meanwhile, phone handsets like that are still in wide use in office settings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Here's the original iPhone Home Screen with the iPod icon (back then we called it iPod because at the time it was thought the iPod would morph into more of a software product and not strictly hardware).  Things changed over time and that plan never materialized as visioned but from that several other things fell out.. like CarPlay.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The original 8” was made by IBM in the early 70’s and wasn’t commercially released.
View Quote

I used 8in floppies in our Xerox 820 computer.
They existed.

As did line printers. Remember those?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They existed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The original 8" was made by IBM in the early 70's and wasn't commercially released.

They existed.

Yeah I remember the 8" floppy. Wasn't it 360k or something like that?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#8]
A majority of zoomers don't have the faintest fucking idea how to use a desktop.   Not sure how often they see the icon unless it's in an app on a phone.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have an unopened package if writable cd's.  But I no longer have an optical drive on any computer.

in 10 years, no one will know what those are either.
View Quote

I threw a bunch of blank CD's out a few years ago. I don't see the point of a 650 mb storage device when thumb drives are a thing.  They were impressive back in the day, but that day has come and gone.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 12:27:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That isn't a floppy disk.

This is a floppy disk.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58599/8-inch-floppy_jpeg-2268396.JPG
View Quote
I've got a sealed box of those floating around somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:04:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When you disassemble the 3.5 there is a small floppy in the inside. I forget what they were called; but the next generation portable disk had a Ceramic disk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still don't like that the 3.5 is now called a floppy disk.
5.25 is a floppy disk

When you disassemble the 3.5 there is a small floppy in the inside. I forget what they were called; but the next generation portable disk had a Ceramic disk.
I might have a Iomega Zip disk here somewhere.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:42:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Anybody here ever close the the latch without pushing the floppy disk all the way into the slot and bend/fuck up the disk? lol

My first computer was a Commodore 64 then my dad bought me an Apple II gs. First one I built was a 486 clone with a tape backup. Prodigy dial-up FTW (born in ‘79).
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:43:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I remember using these:
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:54:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That isn't a floppy disk.

This is a floppy disk.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58599/8-inch-floppy_jpeg-2268396.JPG
View Quote

Nothing like those monsters. I still have IBM and Digital brand ones to go along with my punch cards and paper tape.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:59:04 AM EDT
[#15]
It’s a zip drive... duh
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Back in '87 at Westinghouse, we had a Bernoulli Box connected to our IBM PC.
We thought that was the big time!
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone else remember using a utility to format 3.5 disks with a different FAT to make them have a larger capacity?  Seem to remember they could hold 1.7 or 2.1mb with that small tweak.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Does anyone else remember using a utility to format 3.5 disks with a different FAT to make them have a larger capacity?  Seem to remember they could hold 1.7 or 2.1mb with that small tweak.
View Quote

Yep - thanks to soft sectoring, there were a lot of tricks you could use to extend the usable space on a disk, especially as overall media quality and disk drive quality got better over time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
5.25 is a floppy disk
View Quote

Correct. They are hard and not floppy at all.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5.25 is a floppy disk

Yet they were both called floppy disks, at least back to the late 80s
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#21]
The media inside that holds the data is floppy in both cases. They are not hard platters (as in a Hard Disk), but very flexible pieces of plastic with an oxide layer... hence, floppy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Remember floppy discs?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62111/Capture_JPG-2268387.JPG

I doubt that many computer users today can relate to the symbol for "save" to floppy discs.
View Quote

because nobody uses 8" floppies any more, and the 5.25" disc icons look silly
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top